Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: Cheri E, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My dear man was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal adenocarcinoma in June 2015. He's still here. His cancer is HER2 positive, which means that he can take Herceptin. In fact, that's all he has been taking for some months since the original chemotherapy caused severe neuropathy and he decided to discontinue it. He's still working (brain work) and we're still traveling and anticipating the birth of our first grandson. We know that the prognosis is not good. We continue to love and live; for as long as we can.

Comment from: kevinclairmont, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I have been dealing with cluster headaches for 23 years now. I get them on the right side, with excruciating pain in my right eye, tearing, nasal running, and the entire right side of my face droops. I experience them 2 to 8 times a day but mainly at night. I have tried a lot of different treatments and here's what works for me; 12 to 16 ml of 100 percent oxygen from an E-tank, verapamil, prednisone and injections of Kenalog, a steroid. The prednisone and Kenalog lessen the headaches and it only takes 10 minutes of oxygen for the headache to subside. Best wishes to all of my cluster head friends!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was in a motorcycle accident, it was an occurrence due to failure of the rear tire while making a turn on a residential street. I basically did a full body slam on my right side onto the gutter, curb, and sidewalk with the bike slamming down on top of me resulting in a dislocated shoulder, and taking a thirty mph punch to the abdomen by the curb into soft area between the ribcage and pelvic area. I am very lucky nothing was broken or ruptured, however I had massive bruising that upon dissipation resulted in a very large hematoma over my right hip at the belt line. It has been six weeks and I see no shrinkage as of yet. I have been told that nothing can be done. I really need some sort of idea how to make this thing go away, it has increased my waist size from 34 to 44 on one side. If I find a solution I will post again.

Comment from: YoungWoman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

It was 13 days after my 26th birthday when I was scoped for my cancer. I had cancer in the gastroesophageal junction where the stomach and esophagus meet. It was diagnosed in stage 4. They told me I had 8 months to 1 year to live and they would only give me chemotherapy. That was 3 years ago. I am now 29. I was the youngest patient that they had ever seen with this type of cancer.

Comment from: Hungry Jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

My oncologist said that with stage 3 L2 staging of esophageal cancer that my 3 year survival rate is over 50%. I'm going through mild chemotherapy and radiation, followed by surgery. A strong will to live offers the best chance to eliminate this horrible disease. My lifestyle is going to change forever, not necessarily for the better either.

Comment from: fkasper, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

My son has stage 4 esophageal cancer with metastasis to the liver and lymph nodes. I am looking for hope.

Comment from: VDiana, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My father was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer (tumor in junction of stomach and esophagus) and I am curious to learn what treatment plans and drugs have other people with this disease received. My dad got 5 weeks of carboplatin 50 mg and paclitaxel 30 mg once a week and 5.5 weeks of daily radiation. We will re-test in a few weeks to learn if the treatment worked and if the cancer has not metastasized he will be scheduled for a gastro-esophagectomy.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?