Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was in a motorcycle accident, it was an occurrence due to failure of the rear tire while making a turn on a residential street. I basically did a full body slam on my right side onto the gutter, curb, and sidewalk with the bike slamming down on top of me resulting in a dislocated shoulder, and taking a thirty mph punch to the abdomen by the curb into soft area between the ribcage and pelvic area. I am very lucky nothing was broken or ruptured, however I had massive bruising that upon dissipation resulted in a very large hematoma over my right hip at the belt line. It has been six weeks and I see no shrinkage as of yet. I have been told that nothing can be done. I really need some sort of idea how to make this thing go away, it has increased my waist size from 34 to 44 on one side. If I find a solution I will post again.

Comment from: YoungWoman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

It was 13 days after my 26th birthday when I was scoped for my cancer. I had cancer in the gastroesophageal junction where the stomach and esophagus meet. It was diagnosed in stage 4. They told me I had 8 months to 1 year to live and they would only give me chemotherapy. That was 3 years ago. I am now 29. I was the youngest patient that they had ever seen with this type of cancer.

Comment from: Hungry Jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

My oncologist said that with stage 3 L2 staging of esophageal cancer that my 3 year survival rate is over 50%. I'm going through mild chemotherapy and radiation, followed by surgery. A strong will to live offers the best chance to eliminate this horrible disease. My lifestyle is going to change forever, not necessarily for the better either.

Comment from: VDiana, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My father was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer (tumor in junction of stomach and esophagus) and I am curious to learn what treatment plans and drugs have other people with this disease received. My dad got 5 weeks of carboplatin 50 mg and paclitaxel 30 mg once a week and 5.5 weeks of daily radiation. We will re-test in a few weeks to learn if the treatment worked and if the cancer has not metastasized he will be scheduled for a gastro-esophagectomy.

Comment from: Ctakba54, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer of the esophagus stage 3 in June 2010. He had radiation and chemotherapy prior to his esophagectomy in December 2010. He has had many side effects from the chemo and radiation. As of today he is cancer free! He has experienced blood clots, kidney stones, nausea, and vomiting. But the biggest most painful side effect has been the neuropathy in his feet. He is in constant pain. He has had every type of narcotic, pain patches, physical therapy, to no avail. We are now considering the neurostimulator to be implanted.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 07

My mom was just diagnosed at age 71 with stage 3 esophageal cancer at the junction between the esophagus and stomach. She was asymptomatic. They found it after a food poisoning incident and running tests. She is doing chemotherapy/radiation and surgery in 6 weeks. Her surgeon is very blasé about this process and assumes everyone would want to do this because it won't go away by itself. I worry that this will all be for naught because the surgery looks incredibly risky and dangerous. We are in a good area for the surgery however, a large metro area with great hospitals, but you just never know how things will play out.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?