Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: mac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in January 2010 purely by accident. I had reflux for years and when I told my doctor it was getting worse, he told me to take another pill. I was sent to a doctor for a balance problem and he took one look at my throat and told me I needed to get a scope done. I had a cancerous tumor at the lower part of my esophagus and was operated on April 16th 2010. They removed my esophagus and stretched my stomach up to make a new one. The surgery and recovery were horrible but I'm happy to say I'm doing very well. I was diagnosed at stage 1 and consider myself a lucky gal.

Comment from: Blue Eyes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I am 59 years old. Used to have some heartburn 20 years ago. Gave up drinking in 2004 and smoking Jan 12, 2011. Diagnosed with esophageal cancer 27/06/11. No pain anywhere. Starting to have problems swallowing solids 2 months ago and now can't even hold clear soup, coffee or water down. Surgeon's consultation next week and I guess a program of treatment.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?