Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: booger04, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My husband was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma Esophageal cancer stage 3 in June 2009. He had never smoked a day in his life. He did work in a petroleum refinery for over 30years. Because he had adenocarcinoma they said that his cancer was not caused by abestoses, but I will never believe it. Since his diagnosis there has been 2 other diagnosis with co-workers from the same department. They were exposed to asbestos.

Comment from: lily, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 esophageal cancer in Jan 2010. He had very vague symptoms, weight loss, difficulty swallowing, feeling like food was getting stuck lower esophagus, side pain occasionally. He had tumors in his liver and the lumps that he felt was what sent him to the doctor. Biopsy of liver done and then UGIE to find primary site. he had one round of chemo which dehydrated him , sent his blood sugar to over 1000. He expired Feb 2010 of dehydration related to chemo.

Comment from: Dick, 65-74 Male Published: February 24

Five years ago today I had an esophagectomy for stage 3 adenocarcinoma type cancer. The entire esophagus and 1/3 of the stomach was removed. My prognosis is good thanks to the professional care I received.

Comment from: mac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in January 2010 purely by accident. I had reflux for years and when I told my doctor it was getting worse, he told me to take another pill. I was sent to a doctor for a balance problem and he took one look at my throat and told me I needed to get a scope done. I had a cancerous tumor at the lower part of my esophagus and was operated on April 16th 2010. They removed my esophagus and stretched my stomach up to make a new one. The surgery and recovery were horrible but I'm happy to say I'm doing very well. I was diagnosed at stage 1 and consider myself a lucky gal.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?