Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: Dick, 65-74 Male Published: February 24

Five years ago today I had an esophagectomy for stage 3 adenocarcinoma type cancer. The entire esophagus and 1/3 of the stomach was removed. My prognosis is good thanks to the professional care I received.

Comment from: mac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed in January 2010 purely by accident. I had reflux for years and when I told my doctor it was getting worse, he told me to take another pill. I was sent to a doctor for a balance problem and he took one look at my throat and told me I needed to get a scope done. I had a cancerous tumor at the lower part of my esophagus and was operated on April 16th 2010. They removed my esophagus and stretched my stomach up to make a new one. The surgery and recovery were horrible but I'm happy to say I'm doing very well. I was diagnosed at stage 1 and consider myself a lucky gal.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?