Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage

What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I am 63 years old and in June 2012 was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. A tumor was discovered in the lower esphagus and after tests it was determined that the cancer was squamous cell but the tumor was not in a typical location for squamous cell cancer. I elected to undergo surgery on July 2 2012. Most of my esphagus and about 1/3 of my stomach was removed. The pathology report indicated that all cancer has been removed including margins and lymph nodes. I had no major symptoms before surgery and cancer was diagnosed after I had an upper scoping for acid reflux and atypical cells were noted. I am fortunate it was caught early.

Comment from: Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I didn't have the normal symptoms at first. I had a cough I couldn't get rid of and then food started getting stuck. I had had an endoscopy the year before for A Gall Bladder removal that didn't show anything. In September, 2010, they found a 1.5 CM tumor at the base of the esophagus, stage 3 cancer. The doctors didn't waste any time. I underwent 18 radiation treatments and two weeks of intense chemotherapy. I had lost 60 lbs and had to regain weight before surgery in January, 2011. I underwent three more chemotherapy treatments and have been cancer free since. I have another scan this month, but the prognosis is full recovery. There is hope.

Comment from: susan, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My husband diagnosed with Stage IIIA (upper left lung tumor wrapped around pulmonary artery so inoperable)June 2011 (went in thinking had pneumonia as daughter had weeks before ... x-ray made them question about TB, then got CT scan, then lung biopsy), given 6 - 9 months probable life span with no intervention. He began chemo and radiation in July, ended 2 rounds of chemo in Sept and radiation a few weeks later. Tumor was shrinking. Now (6/12) the tumor found to be growing again. Time for Chemo round 2 ... still inoperable. Any suggestions? Should we look at a 2nd opinion? P.S. Positive attitude, love, and laughter helps!

Comment from: booger04, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My husband was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma Esophageal cancer stage 3 in June 2009. He had never smoked a day in his life. He did work in a petroleum refinery for over 30years. Because he had adenocarcinoma they said that his cancer was not caused by abestoses, but I will never believe it. Since his diagnosis there has been 2 other diagnosis with co-workers from the same department. They were exposed to asbestos.

Comment from: CHEMING'IN, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My dad started by having difficulty in swallowing solid food, when he went to the doctor he was told that he had a growth in the esophagus, the growth was taken for test, when he went for results he was told that the growth was cancerous. We panicked because my grandma who is my father's mom died of stomach cancer 5 years ago, then two years ago my uncle who is his brother died of cancer too so we almost thought it was a family disease. After the diagnosis, his doctor opted for surgery. It was a trying moment for all of us. The surgery which the doctors had told us that it will take 5 hours went for 13 hours but it was successful.

Comment from: lily, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 esophageal cancer in Jan 2010. He had very vague symptoms, weight loss, difficulty swallowing, feeling like food was getting stuck lower esophagus, side pain occasionally. He had tumors in his liver and the lumps that he felt was what sent him to the doctor. Biopsy of liver done and then UGIE to find primary site. he had one round of chemo which dehydrated him , sent his blood sugar to over 1000. He expired Feb 2010 of dehydration related to chemo.

Comment from: Dick, 65-74 Male Published: February 24

Five years ago today I had an esophagectomy for stage 3 adenocarcinoma type cancer. The entire esophagus and 1/3 of the stomach was removed. My prognosis is good thanks to the professional care I received.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?