Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

Comment from: Gemma, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother just got diagnosed with this form of cancer. She is 54 years old, first of all she started loosing a lot of weight and had problems swallowing heavy foods such as meat and potatoes, but gradually over 2 weeks it got worse and she now can't swallow at all and has problems drinking fluids, she also had this really loud cough. I took her to emergencies last week and she has been kept in now until surgery.

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was 38 when I had this cancer I had chemo, radio, and surgery. I am 46 now and have a few problems with food and asthma it took me about three years to get where I am now. I do have tylosis and so does my sister and mother, but fortunately they are fine I have a daughter who is 14 and luckily her feet are fine so there is a good chance of not having the gene. When I first found out there was a problem it was because my food was sticking in my throat fortunately. I had a good doctor who sent me straight away for some tests.

Comment from: Roselyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am a 78 year old women and I've had gastritis for about twenty years. I'm allergic to statin drugs. Recently when I take a deep breath I get a pain in my chest in the area of my stomach I'm taking Prilosec every morning ad 150mg Zantac at night. I'm worried about this new pain. Please advise me as what this might be?

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My 60 year old mother passed away from esophageal adenocarcinoma last year. She began to have flu-like symptoms, and then started losing weight. She then started having pain in her side accompanied by high fevers. She had a cat scan and then a barium swallow, upon which was found she had stage IV esophageal adenocarcinoma. She died 3 weeks later.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My husband (age 50 at the time) was diagnosed 2 years ago. Had chemo-radiation followed by esophagectomy, then more chemo. His main symptom was difficulty swallowing-feeling like something was sticking in his lower esophagus. He has had reflux for 30 years; treated for 20 years with Rx. anti-reflux meds. We are now walking 6-7 miles per day, full-time work, and writing a book! Oh, what a diagnosis can do. He is exercising more faithfully than ever, eating better than ever, and praying more than ever! We have a lot to live for-3 kids: ages 13, 7, 7 (twins) And, I mean we...because it is a WE effort.

Comment from: jadedmama, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My 33 yr old son has just been diagnosed. Symptoms included heartburn, back pain, difficulty swallowing, passing out due to severe anemia caused by the bleeding ulcers in his esophagus. We've only just begun with the CT scan yesterday.

Comment from: barbara, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband had stage 2 esophagus cancer. He had surgery in April, had 2 set backs which ended him back in the hospital. He is now recovering. He can eat almost everything but sometimes has indigestion. He had his first CT scan last week and it showed 2 lymph nodes enlarged. At the time of his surgery they tested his nodes and all were fine. This could be either cancer or some infection. They will do another CT in 6 weeks. He had chemo and radiation which they felt killed all cancer. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comment from: vkurti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have a pain in my back any time I eat or even drink.

Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is your esophageal cancer prognosis?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?