Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

Comment from: Shammi08, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have been having problems with acid reflux, GERD and heart burn for a number of years. It went away for a long while and now is back. I went to the doctor back in January 2016 and found out I had a stomach bacterial infection. I got that treated and for a few days after treatment I felt better. A few weeks after I begin to have problems with certain foods that I eat getting stuck in my chest area and a cough after I eat. Then I started to vomit and noticed blood. Now I have a sore throat. I know a lot of people with esophageal cancer have said they lost weight but actually I've gained 20 pounds in the last 6 months since I was diagnosed with the stomach bacterial infection. I will be getting a colonoscopy and an upper gastrointestinal (UGI) endoscopy on June 15th, 2016. I will update you what the doctors find or not find.

Comment from: Jeff T., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 68 and 9 months ago I had an esophagectomy. I had been on vacation and had difficulty swallowing. I went to the emergency room when I got home and got scoped. They found the stage 3 tumor at the base of my esophagus. I had chemotherapy for 4 weeks, and radiation every day for 28 days, and 6 weeks later I had a 10 1/2 hour surgery to remove 6 inches of my esophagus and 20 percent of my stomach. The operation was done laparoscopically and though I was in the hospital 10 days, I was walking 24 hours later and off all pain medicines in a week. Surgery was 9/12/15 and I was back to work and to the golf course 11/1/15 and back to the gym 11/15/15. It is now 10 months since my surgery and I feel great. I did lose 20 pounds but now my weight is stable and I can eat anything. Have hope and make sure you go to wherever the best surgeon is!

Comment from: Ross, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2010/2011. He lost a lot of weight and when he would eat he would throw up immediately and he had lost over 70 lb. He was an architect and a good I tell u. He had chemotherapy and radiation, then surgery but while he was in the hospital he started to limp. After recovering from surgery he was diagnosed; we found out that it had started in his right ankle which is less than 1 percent. The cancer blew his heel out. He went through radiation but no help. Also chemotherapy did not help. He got sicker and worse. The cancer came out on the cancer. He was in bed for months in 2014. He thought he could walk but he would fall all the time. He fell three times in a week and a half. He was on so much medicine which caused a lot of mental problems. He was in so much pain. He had fallen 3 times within a week and a half. Mom put him in the hospital after the third time. He was diagnosed with an infection in his blood. When released mom had to put him in a nursing home. To make this short I lost my dad in death last here on August 25, 2014.

Comment from: kimg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am 52 years old. I have had indigestion and acid reflux all of my life. Last year they told me I was severely red and had severe acid reflux. I am extremely hoarse, my left upper side hurts I can barely eat now as food is getting stuck. My belly is swollen at the top. One thing weird is I sweat horribly when I eat anything. I get the endoscope on this Thursday, and trust me I had to do a lot of screaming to get it. I am nervous about esophageal cancer because something is wrong. I will keep in touch.

Comment from: lin, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My husband aged 54 was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December and passed away in March. When diagnosed he had a pain in his left side when he was lying down at night and nothing else. Then lymph nodes in his neck became enlarged. An endoscopy and scan showed the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes in his neck and in his chest. Chemo started immediately, a 21 day cycle, from 8.30 to 4.30 on day one and then a course of tablets, 12 in all, to take for the 21 days. After 3 courses a scan showed that although the chemo was shrinking the tumor the cancer itself was causing blood clots and one had gone to his lung. He then started injecting himself in the stomach every evening, which was a 6 month course, then just before his 4th cycle of chemo he developed another blood clot in his liver. The doctors just couldn't get on top of the clots and eventually one went to his heart and killed him suddenly. We were not aware that blood clots can be caused by cancer or chemo.

Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage Question: What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?