Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Types

Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.

Comment from: Mother, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My 24 year old son passed away with cancer of the esophagus, could the new drug ZL105 have cured this cancer? He had been going to the doctors and hospital on many occasions with symptoms of heartburn and finding it difficult to eat food and constant pain in his back, but he was always told this was indigestion. My son was eventually given a scan and was told he was at stage 4. He passed away 7 weeks and 2 days later.

Comment from: Christabella, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My youngest brother had Barrett"s disease for years and had trouble swallowing. Local general physician said it was nothing but it continued. In May 2011 he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He had chemotherapy and then the huge operation in September. He had a few difficult months when they realized the exit from his stomach was up too high and couldn"t drain the contents properly. There was talk of his having another huge operation to fix that, but cancer came back and he died in November, 2012 not long after his 58th birthday. He was not a smoker and didn"t drink much.

Comment from: pjklew, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My husband was diagnosed on June 12, 2013 with stage IV adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. He had a 3-1/2 inch tumor at the bottom of the esophagus. It was a total shock as he was being treated for acid reflux. After six weeks of chemotherapy and radiation, the chemotherapy almost killed him, it has spread to the lymph nodes around the heart and aorta. It is also in the abdominal area and colon. We have decided that enough is enough! The side effects of the infusion chemotherapy and the six weeks of radiation were horrible. He is on hospice and is slowly gaining weight due to a feeding tube. We are going to enjoy and cherish the time we have left. We have been married 32 years and have no children, but we are thankful for awesome friends. Please get a second opinion and ask for ALL the side effects.

Comment from: Momjen, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My ex-husband has been diagnosed with esophagus cancer. I am not sure what stage or anything except that it"s spread to his liver. He is getting chemotherapy, has lost about 50 pounds, lost his hair and looks 80 (according to our son).

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in July of 2012 after not being able to eat much. I lost lots of weight and had a gastroscopy, which indicated I have carcinoma of the esophagus. From there, I had a CT scan and then a PET scan. I saw a surgeon, who told me it was also in my stomach and she couldn't operate, as it was too close. I had laparoscopic surgery and had a j-tube inserted so that I could have food. I also had nine weeks of chemotherapy. I went back to the surgeon, and she said the cancer had not shrunk. I had another PET scan and saw a radiation oncologist, who decided I would have five weeks of radiation and two weeks of double chemotherapy. I had another CT scan and again was told it hadn't shrunk. However, a couple of weeks later, I was able to start eating normally and now I no longer have tube feedings. I go back to the doctor next week for another CT scan – we'll see what he says.

Comment from: Kathy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My son was a healthy 31-year-old, and then he started to lose weight in April of 2011. He wasn't sick – just had a little pressure when he chewed sometimes. I took him to the hospital and they diagnosed him with esophageal cancer. Doctor said he had Barrett's, and it was hereditary. The doctor said it had spread to the stomach, pancreas, and liver. They wanted to try chemo to slow it down. He didn't try it because he'd already lost too much weight. He died on October 8, 2011. They found out later that two of my brothers have it and they take prescription antacid. It's so sad that it was too late for my son to take it.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is your esophageal cancer prognosis?
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?