Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis

Question:What is your esophageal cancer prognosis?

Comment from: Ctakba54, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer of the esophagus stage 3 in June 2010. He had radiation and chemotherapy prior to his esophagectomy in December 2010. He has had many side effects from the chemo and radiation. As of today he is cancer free! He has experienced blood clots, kidney stones, nausea, and vomiting. But the biggest most painful side effect has been the neuropathy in his feet. He is in constant pain. He has had every type of narcotic, pain patches, physical therapy, to no avail. We are now considering the neurostimulator to be implanted.

Comment from: Big E from the Bay, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My husband was grossly overweight, had reflux and began having problems feeling as if had something stuck in upper esophagus and not able to belch, he was diagnosed with T3L1 (stage 3,1 lymph node involved)esophageal cancer, he had extensive surgery after 6 weeks chemo and radiation, his surgery was 8.5 hours long, 88 lymph nodes removed, esophageal resection and top 1/3 stomach removed and in Jan 2012 will be 5 years since surgery. He is doing great, and keeps his weight in check as cancer loves fat cells.

Comment from: Yvette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had huge surgery 9 years ago 2002 for Stage 2 Esophageal Cancer with Radiation and Chemo prior to my operation. I was 51 years old when diagnosed with no history of smoking or alcohol use. I do have Celiac Disease. Since my surgery I have never looked back, am following a strict gluten-free diet and feel wonderful. This disease can be beaten with an early diagnosis and a highly skilled surgeon.

Comment from: katie f, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

My cancer was due to having spasm of the esophagus and although the doctors told me that I would not get cancer the pain I encountered in the upper part of my neck and in my back, as well as not being able to swallow told me otherwise. I went for a second opinion after suffering for two years and the biopsy showed abnormal cells which three months later turned cancerous. So if you suffer continually like I did keep going to the doctors and having tests it could save your life. It is now 3 years since my operation and I find that if I take tablets to reduce acid being produced both morning and night I do not have much trouble with acid in my throat. I still have intestine pains after eating but this is normal as I do not have as much serotonin in my stomach to control digestion as everyone else. Who cares though I am still here even if my insides are different.

Published: August 01

My brother has had cancer in several areas and after chemo and radiation he was free of cancer a few months ago. He went for a check-up 2 months ago and has now been diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer. He went to the Cleveland Clinic and was told by more than one doctor that surgery isn't an option for him because of his heart and lungs. He was burned by radiation so terribly that he has opted out of it again. He has been told he will not survive for too long without surgery, which can't be done. Since it is stage 3 in a matter of a couple months I just wonder how long he will be with us. He has talked to his children already and is living his remaining time enjoying the grandkids as best as he can. I think prayer is all we have now.

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed Stage 3 in 2010 at age 66. It was adenocarcinoma and the only symptom was pills getting stuck occasionally. I had 6 weeks of chemo and daily radiation prior to the 9-hour Ivor Lewis gastroesophagectomy. I spent 4 months in the hospital on a feeding tube afterwards, lost 30 pounds (I began as a size 4 and now I'm size zero), but have had 8 clean PET scans since three years ago.

Comment from: mae, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My husband was told on 2/22/12 that he had esophageal cancer and would need to have radation and chemotherapy done. They put his Port in and he started his treatments. He had these for 8 weeks and he asked his doctor when he would be having the surgery. His doctor told him that all of his doctors had to get together and discuss it and for him to go see his radation doctor and they would get in touch with him. Two days later my husband went to the ER because he hadn't had a bowel movement in 2 weeks. My daughter and I took him 3 times before the hospital finally put him in. They ran tests on him and discovered that my husband's tumor had grown and that he had more masses. My husband was told he had 2-3 months to live and they put him in hospice care. My husband passed away on 5-1-12. I asked his doctors how this happened and why they didn't see that the treatments were not working. They could only say they don't know. What really hurts is, my husband had always said he wouldn't take treatments if he was told he had cancer. He did this for his family. Our daughter was expecting and he so wanted to meet his granddaughter. He never got a chance to meet her. I just hate that he had to go through the treatments that made him so sick after each one. He not only had the treatments at the cancer center, he had chemotherapy 24/7.

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Types Question: Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer - Second Opinion Question: How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer - Follow-Up Care Question: What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?