GENERIC NAME: escitalopram
BRAND NAME: Lexapro
- Lexapro is approved for the treatment of depression and generalized anxiety disorder.
- Drugs in the SSRI class also are used for treating obsessive compulsive disorders and panic disorders, although Lexapro is not approved for these purposes.
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
SIDE EFFECTS WARNING:
- Some patients experience withdrawal reactions upon stopping SSRI therapy. Symptoms may include dizziness, tingling, tiredness, vivid dreams, irritability, or poor mood. In order to avoid these symptoms, the dose of SSRI can be slowly reduced instead of abruptly stopped.
- Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in short-term studies in children and adolescents with depression and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Lexapro or any other antidepressant in a child or adolescent must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared with placebo in adults beyond 24 years of age. There was a reduction in risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared with placebo in adults 65 years of age and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients who are started on therapy with antidepressants should be closely observed for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior.
Common side effects associated with Lexapro are
- agitation or
- blurred vision,
- difficulty sleeping,
- dry mouth,
- frequent urination,
- increased or decreased appetite,
- increased sweating,
- sexual difficulties (decreased sexual ability or desire, ejaculatory delay),
- taste alterations,
- tremor (shaking), and
- weight changes.
Other side effects include
- influenza-like symptoms and
- pain in neck or shoulders.
Although changes in sexual desire, sexual performance, and sexual satisfaction often occur as a result of depression itself, they also may be a consequence of the drugs used to treat depression. In particular, about one in 11 men given Lexapro report difficulties ejaculating.
Quick GuideDepression Hurts: Physical Symptoms of Depression
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.