Patient Comments: Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

Comment from: Mariposa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

About 1 1/2 years ago I had shingles; this year around March I started getting these red bumps on my right leg. There were about 10 red bumps which looked like mosquito bites. I took a picture of it with my cell phone since I thought it was weird, but I thought I had the shingles again. The last time I had almost the same looking red bumps on my right arm and it was the Shingles. Anyway, the next few days all the red bumps started to disappear except for two. I showed my regular physician the bumps, but she didn't know what it was, but gave me an antibiotic cream to put on. After using the antibiotic for a few days the two bumps became larger and gross looking and started oozing. I went to a dermatologist who did 2 cultures and a biopsy and I was diagnosed with Erythema Nodosum. I showed the report and picture to a Rheumatologist who thinks that is not what I have. She said the condition is usually like bruises instead of red pimples. This was back in March and the two bumps have stayed permanently in my leg. I hate how it looks, but I don't know how to get rid of the bumps. I was also put on oral prednisone for several weeks, and on Biaxin and Cipro antibiotics. I'm terrified that I will get another outbreak.

Comment from: sierra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome many years ago. I found a few black like scabs on my ankle. Slowly more and more spots appeared and this condition continued up my leg. Then it started on my other leg. I visited several doctors and each one gave me a cream which didn't work. I got on the computer and diagnosed myself with Erythema Nodosum and went to a dermatologist who agreed with my diagnosis. She gave me a cream which cleared it all up. Early this year, I attended a large meeting for people with bowel diseases and learned that Erythema Nodosum was somehow connected with Irritable Bowel disease. A few weeks ago I injured my ankle where the skin was broken in three places. They turned into what looked like black scabs. Then the whole area began to itch and I scratched it and now the spots are once again climbing up my leg. Time to go to the dermatologist again.

Comment from: de, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had an outbreak of these red painful lumps that would start out like a pimple size then balloon to the size of a squash ball on the back of my calf, usually two of them at a time. The same thing happened a year later, my doctor sent me to get an ultrasound of my legs. Nothing showed up, nor a diagnosis. I had a break from them until now, they have viciously come back attacking both legs, upper and lower and on both my arms. I have 3 on each. Having 2 kids that need me is very hard and it is painful to walk. When I stand up it feels like a sudden rush of blood to my lower left leg, very painful, then it feels like a sunburn, very itchy at the peak. I am pregnant again and can't have any remedies. This is going to last 3 more weeks. It takes me almost 3 minutes to get out of bed to get a bottle ready for my 5 month old and then it is painful to walk. My doctor thinks it is erythema nodosum. He sent me for blood work to rule out a blood disorder carried in my family.

Comment from: Dancer1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 16 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with bronchitis. After one week of antibiotics, the bronchitis had not improved, and suddenly my legs started feeling bruised. After a couple hours, my shins and knees were covered with painful welts from 1 to 6 cm in diameter. Thinking they were insect bites, I tried calamine lotion, with no improvement. The next day, more bumps appeared on different parts of my legs but always on the front. It is painful to walk and bend my knees. My doctor diagnosed me with erythema nodosum, probably because of the bronchitis virus. I also was removed from the antibiotics in case they were the cause.

Comment from: Bigjohn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

My mom's legs and feet are getting real bad the doctors are not helping with this erythema nodosum. She can't walk well she just cries all the time.

Comment from: steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

When I was diagnosed with erythema nodosum it took a trip to the emergency room cause the pain was so bad I couldn't walk. After the initial diagnosis he said this condition can be caused by low potassium levels so he wrote me up a prescription for Potassium Iodide drops. Instructions were 5 drops in one cup any kind of juice or water twice a day. two days later all that was left were the bruises which were gone after a couple weeks. I got it again a couple years later went straight to the doctor and asked for the potassium iodide and this time the symptoms started to go away over night it was amazing Hope this helps.

Erythema Nodosum - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your erythema nodosum?
Erythema Nodosum - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your erythema nodosum?