Patient Comments: Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

Comment from: DS - Infant Mother, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Our 14-month-old son has been sick for three weeks. It started with pink eye and ear infections, followed by diarrhea, which has now lasted more than two weeks. Then about a week ago, he got red bumps all over the insides of his legs and they began moving to the top and back of his legs. I have read that erythema nodosum (EN) can be related to severe (longer than two weeks) of diarrhea, which is what he has. His pediatrician said he has a stomach virus that has caused the diarrhea as well as the EN. We just have to let it go away on its own. It's been two weeks of nightly "blowouts," daily laundering of crib coverings and clothes, frequent daily baths, and lots of painful red bumps on his legs that are now turning from red to purple.

Comment from: lorelai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

This past November, I developed high fevers and ulcers in my throat. All strep tests were negative. Exactly one week after this, my right leg developed red, painful welts that spread rapidly to my other leg, arms, and hands. My doctor diagnosed erythema nodosum and started me on indomethacin (an NSAID). Two weeks later, my legs were so bad I could not walk or have anything touch them. I could not wear socks or shoes. My doctor switched me to potassium iodide solution, and in two days, the swelling and pain started to go away. It has been two weeks, and the swelling is gone. I still have a little pain in the original spots, but it is getting better. I really hope this doesn't come back, as it is the most physically painful experience I have ever had.

Comment from: AndysGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Three years ago, I noticed what I thought was a spider bite on my shin. It was hot, dry, and painful. Not long after, I slipped on my basement stairs and broke a toe, and I forgot all about the sore. The “bite” kept getting worse and worse, and my doctor could not figure out what was going on. I developed severe cellulitis, and my lower left leg and foot swelled up hideously. I was on crutches for three weeks, and every time I put my leg below the level of my hips, the blood rushing to it would cause me immense pain. When I visited my mother-in-law's doctor, he took one glance at it and said "Erythema nodosum! Here's what you need ..." I got a prescription for steroids and antibiotics, and within two weeks, I was nearly back to normal.

Comment from: eddieg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I am a 36-year-old male. About two weeks ago, I had to be taken to the emergency room because my ankles were swollen so badly. The pain was so bad that I went into the ER. It was there the ER doctors told me that I had erythema nodosum. It has been three weeks since then and my ankles are so swollen that I can barely get my shoes on. The only thing that seems to help is lying down and ibuprofen. I have several red bumps on both legs, and I keep getting new painful bumps still after three weeks. My doctor states that this should go away on its own. I can barely even walk because of the pain.

Comment from: End EN, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

After strep throat in October of this year and having completed a round of antibiotics, my fever returned, though not as high as before. Within a few days, lumps appeared on my upper left thigh and near the hip joint on the left leg. They were very painful, tiring and wouldn't go away. My preferred physician thought it was erythema nodosum and confirmed it through a referral to an infectious disease doctor. I am currently on an anti-inflammatory, but the pain is sometimes excruciating and prevents me from standing or walking. The doctor said it may be as long as three weeks before the pain and swelling subside. If they do not, then the next step is to go to a rheumatologist.

Comment from: crdalton, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have been dealing with erythema nodosum for 14 years now. It started in the lower part of my legs and has moved progressively into other parts of my body. The inflammation and pain becomes unbearable sometimes. I have consistently taken prednisone for several years now. It appears to be the only thing that relieves the pain.

Comment from: Jo Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

On a cool day in March, my legs began to feel funny, like they were cool but burning at the same time. I thought maybe I needed more exercise, so started walking. As the days went on, I noticed a small lump by my ankle, then another just above. They hurt to the touch. Finally, the whole leg started to swell and grew large. Then the leg turned bright red, and this continued halfway up the leg. I got scared because I thought they were going to amputate my leg. I went to 17 doctors, and not one of them knew what was wrong. It felt like knives stabbing up and down the leg to the point of crying from pain. Finally, one doctor diagnosed it: Erythema Nodosum. He gave me some cortisone, and the swelling went down a bit. This leg was swollen and painful for almost two years straight with no relief. Finally, it started to calm down, but to this day, I still can't wear a pair of shoes. I am wearing sandals that don't touch the top of my foot.

Erythema Nodosum - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your erythema nodosum?
Erythema Nodosum - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your erythema nodosum?