Patient Comments: Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

Comment from: JEG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

About once a year or less I break out with erythema nodosum. I have never been treated with any medications. Last year one spot remained, but after a massage, it went away. A new bout recently erupted and I have a massage scheduled to see if it will work again. I just exist with it. I think it is stress related in some way, although I am not really aware of any outstanding stresses.

Comment from: 60700sunny, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with erythema nodosum when I was 18. It started out as small bumps for a couple of weeks after a bad strep infection. They got worse and my ankles were swollen and I could not walk or wear shoes. I went to numerous doctors before getting a diagnosis. It was horrible excruciating pain and I had to do five rounds of steroids before it all went away.

Comment from: boxorocks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I got erythema nodosum around 1982, when I was 26. No one knew what it was! I looked it up in a PDR (physician's desk reference) at the library. It was caused by penicillin, but what I found out was Ovaril was making it worse. It took 3 months for it to go away after I stopped the pill. It would flare with my hormones. I finally found a doctor who listened and he gave me potassium iodide, which helped. I was infertile years later when I wanted children, had a miscarriage, and never became pregnant again.

Comment from: momoffour, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I first got erythema nodosum (EN) in 1980 at the age of 30. I had 6 nodes in one calf and 7 in the other. I was fitted for surgical stockings for the swelling. Every spring after that it came back with a vengeance. Through trial and error, I learned that (1) at times I was taking a sulfa drug that caused it, and (2) that I was allergic to something that was in the air in the springtime. I took allergy tests (400 allergens) and was given a serum made of my allergy suspects in order to develop my immune system. For the nine months I was taking the shots, my EN did not go away. For me, taking Keflex as long as needed (as much as 6 weeks), has been the best treatment. Today, after thirty four years, it is back again, thanks to an allergy and springtime! In those 34 years I have had five doctors misdiagnose it as thrombophlebitis and try to get me to take blood thinners! Thank goodness I found that dermatologist!

Comment from: CDH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I first got EN (erythema nodosum) in 2007 after walking through a natural wetlands. I was 51 and towards the end of menopause. I kept sniffing my nose while walking through the wetlands so there was lots of mucus in my nose. A few weeks later I got the first red spots on my legs that felt like bruises. It took over six months to get properly diagnosed and by then I was chronic. I went to several doctors before I found out what it was. By then I had it all over my body. I could not walk very well and had pain everywhere especially my hands, legs and feet. I was put on prednisone which was gradually increased up to 30 mgs per day for months. I was finally sent to a rheumatologist who put me on methotrexate, a medication used for arthritis. I got 25 mg injections once per week for just over two years. It just came back in the fall of 2013. I am going back on methotrexate 7.5 mgs now because it's not going away on its own. This medication is taken once per week. I am also taking a steroid pack to keep my immune system back some. This is extremely painful. There has been no underlying cause diagnosed; however, I believe I inhaled some type of fungus while walking through the wetlands and my hormones were wacky from menopause. I believe it came back because of stress. Last two years of my life have been extremely stressful and emotionally difficult.

Comment from: MHOBBS8854, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the flu 2 years ago and one of the symptoms was pain in my thighs and under my knees. A huge bump appeared above the knee and below the knee. They were very painful and sensitive to the touch. Sometimes they are hot. No one seems to know what to do about them. They are extremely painful and prevent me from walking very far. I have had them for 2 years and they flare up every 2 to 3 days.

Erythema Nodosum - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your erythema nodosum?
Erythema Nodosum - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your erythema nodosum?