Patient Comments: Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure?

Comment from: Daniel S., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I have a significant herniation of my C7-T1 disk which has been causing constant radiating pain from my neck though my right armpit and shoulder and down to my right fingertips. I had an epidural steroid injection performed one week ago and immediately felt near 100 percent relief. The improvement of my symptoms has been incredible. My procedure was performed by a board certified pain medicine specialist / anesthesiologist under fluoroscopy. I am hoping that the effect are long lasting.

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a shot in my lower back to relieve pain in my left leg and foot. It took about two weeks to work but so far it has been a success. I have twinges off and on but nothing bad and I can now walk and bend. I actually got on the floor and up on my own without trouble for the first time in years. I did not realize how bad I had gotten over the past year or so. I just hope it lasts longer than a few months.

Comment from: Thill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have 2 herniated discs and annular tears in my lower back in one place. I wanted to do Disc-FX surgery, but it is invasive. I went to a different orthopedic doctor and they decided no surgery but epidural injections. My blood pressure went stroke level for several days and I felt sick after the injection, then the pain came back after a week. I am scheduled for another injection if I get sick again. I am going somewhere else and asking for the invasive surgery, the doctor I see now has never heard of Disc-FX and said I was too young for fusion. I am 48.

Comment from: NC patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I suffered severe neck and shoulder pain for years. I started having epidural steroid injections and received some relief for about a year and a half. I always had sedation with my injections. During a procedure I woke up paralyzed. I was in ICU for a month and inpatient rehabilitation for a month, followed by years of physical and occupational therapy. Five years later I still suffer with neurogenic bladder and bowel, most of my left side of my body from chest to foot is numb, I can't use my left hand and I am in constant pain. This will continue for the rest of my life. My advice is don't do it, it's not worth the risk.

Comment from: Lillyloo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had an epidural injection in L4 and L5. The Injection was extremely painful. I am no better than I was before. I also had a laminectomy and steroid shots in my bursa. Everything a failure. I still cannot walk without a walker. This all started about 4 years ago. I have seen 2 orthopedic surgeons and a pain management doctor for my injection. They want to do another steroid injection in my spine. I am afraid of the pain during the procedure and they will not put you out during the procedure.

Comment from: lannie91, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been having bulging discs at several levels in my neck for over a year now. I had physiotherapy last fall when they put me in traction and it didn't help. I am going to get my first epidural injection this week and am in a new type of therapy. My pain is getting worse daily. I'm tired of not being able to do more physical activity because it makes the pain worse.

Comment from: LadyMystic87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

When I was 24 I herniated my L5 spinal disc and prolapsed my uterus when I gave birth to 2nd baby. When I was 26 I started my epidural steroid injections. I has my 1st in March and it only lasted 2 weeks and I needed my 2nd in April. The shot in April was able to last until July 1st. I have bone damage and sciatica from the herniated disc. I was able to fight through the pain until October 27th when I got my 3rd shot. The shots and physical therapy don't work well for me or last long. My doctor has already told me that I need surgery and has put an order in for it.