Patient Comments: Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure?

Comment from: NC patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I suffered severe neck and shoulder pain for years. I started having epidural steroid injections and received some relief for about a year and a half. I always had sedation with my injections. During a procedure I woke up paralyzed. I was in ICU for a month and inpatient rehabilitation for a month, followed by years of physical and occupational therapy. Five years later I still suffer with neurogenic bladder and bowel, most of my left side of my body from chest to foot is numb, I can't use my left hand and I am in constant pain. This will continue for the rest of my life. My advice is don't do it, it's not worth the risk.

Comment from: Lillyloo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had an epidural injection in L4 and L5. The Injection was extremely painful. I am no better than I was before. I also had a laminectomy and steroid shots in my bursa. Everything a failure. I still cannot walk without a walker. This all started about 4 years ago. I have seen 2 orthopedic surgeons and a pain management doctor for my injection. They want to do another steroid injection in my spine. I am afraid of the pain during the procedure and they will not put you out during the procedure.

Comment from: LadyMystic87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

When I was 24 I herniated my L5 spinal disc and prolapsed my uterus when I gave birth to 2nd baby. When I was 26 I started my epidural steroid injections. I has my 1st in March and it only lasted 2 weeks and I needed my 2nd in April. The shot in April was able to last until July 1st. I have bone damage and sciatica from the herniated disc. I was able to fight through the pain until October 27th when I got my 3rd shot. The shots and physical therapy don't work well for me or last long. My doctor has already told me that I need surgery and has put an order in for it.

Comment from: Twino2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my first epidural steroid injection in my L4, L5 area on Fourth of July weekend. It started out with pain on my lower right leg. The minute I had the shot I could feel when they hit the nerves. I almost jumped off the table! My pain is 150 times worse. I now have pain in my buttocks, all the way down to where my pain was originally. This has been the worst decision in my whole life. I have constant pain in my buttocks and leg now. Three months later after trying three different anti-seizure medications, and now on oxycodone and Lyrica, I am still not receiving a relief. I even tried three rounds of acupuncture. That did lesson my pain some, but can't afford $300 a week since insurance doesn't cover it. The doctor says it could take up to 6 months for these nerves to heal. The only relief I have is sitting on ice packs or sleeping.

Comment from: happytolive, Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had epidural steroids for low back pain and pain in my left leg. The steroid they used was Depo Medrol. My doctor told me that it was a safe procedure. After the shot my pain got a lot worse and migrated to the other leg. Then I found out that I had an incurable disease, adhesive arachnoiditis which is a side effect of getting these shots. My pain is 1000 times worse and it is intractable, 24/7 pain and it is really hard to find a doctor to treat me. I would give anything to go back in time and not get these shots which was the worst decision I ever made in my life.

Comment from: lannie91, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been having bulging discs at several levels in my neck for over a year now. I had physiotherapy last fall when they put me in traction and it didn't help. I am going to get my first epidural injection this week and am in a new type of therapy. My pain is getting worse daily. I'm tired of not being able to do more physical activity because it makes the pain worse.