Patient Comments: Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure?

Comment from: Meme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an epidural cortisone shot in the lumbar region a week ago. I already feel much less pain. I can stand and walk for longer periods and can even sit for a while. The numbing shots burned, but not for long. I didn"t feel the long needle, though the medicine going in hurt because it caused my leg muscles to cramp. Luckily it was followed by a numbing chaser, so even that didn"t last long. For me, the procedure was very frightening, but it wouldn"t be the second time. I would have done better with a sedative, but I tend to get worked up. That said, I am glad I had it done.

Comment from: RP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had an epidural steroid injection for relief from an L5-S1 herniated disc. I started to notice it working about 7 days after the injection. I think my symptoms lessened by about 50%. The numbness and tingling in my foot and toes almost entirely went away (except while sleeping on my back) and I was able to stand for prolonged periods of time in the kitchen without getting the pain down my hamstring. I was fortunate to get a mild sedation before the injection; so I experienced no pain during the procedure itself.

Comment from: Cat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had epidural steroid injection done in December of 2013. It was extremely painful and unfortunately there was no relief from pain. I am currently debating having same procedure on my lumbar spine but am so afraid of the pain incurred during procedure I think I will cancel, especially because it may not work there either.

Comment from: Washingtondc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had on going neck and shoulder pain for 5 years. Four to six discs are crushing. A fall in October in which I hit my head on our concrete steps and was hospitalized for 2 days, has increased the pain level and added numbness and tingling to my left arm. Nothing was really helping. I was taking a lot of Vicodin and could not work. About a month ago I got off the heavy pain medications and sought out having the epidural steroid injection. I had one 2 weeks ago. It did help a bit and I am thinking on having one more.

Comment from: swtbitc4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am on round two of having epidural steroid injections on my lower back. I had 3 injections over 6 years ago and got great pain control from them, now 6 years later I seem to be back to square one. But I have chosen to try the injections again because I had so many years of minimal pain from the last set.

Comment from: Lillyal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had my first lumbar epidural injection today, and chose to have sedation before the procedure, however the nursing staff didn"t start the IV soon enough and literately started the IV about 2 minutes before the procedure and needless to say, I felt everything and didn"t get any result from the sedation. On my way home I was out so yeah, not too good for me and now 11 hours after I"m experiencing more intense pain than before the procedure. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

When I get an epidural injection I am asked if I want IV sedation which I always opt for. I don"t feel a thing. In the past I have had a doctor hit the nerve and I almost jumped off the table. Ask for IV sedation, you won"t go wrong!

Comment from: Scared, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been having numbing, loss of feeling and tingling in both of my legs for about 1.5 years. Doctors concluded it's due to two pinched nerves in my left and right toes. No medication has eased the pain. On February 26, 2014 I am having the Epidural Steroid Injection, first shot in a series of 3 in the next 6 weeks.

Comment from: Fireofficer 1996, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had epidural steroid injection on Feb 17, 2014. Today the 18th I am feeling a lot less pain. Hope this continues. I had pain for over 10 years from MVA.