Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

Comment from: Dee, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My son, now 16, was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EOE) 3 years ago. He had been a slow eater for several years, but began having trouble swallowing, began throwing up during soccer games (even when in very good shape), and began having stomach cramps. He was diagnosed with EOE and a small stomach ulcer after an endoscopy. He has a very small appetite for a 16 year old. Standard allergy test is clear. He is being treated with swallowed Flovent and Prilosec OTC (3 years now). Eosinophils are down to 11. He is better, but the nausea can be horrid during athletics. We have found acupuncture to be a huge help to return appetite and keep the nausea down. The nausea is definitely worse during the heat.

Comment from: zinny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 62 year old female. As long as I can remember I have had an issue with food getting stuck, but not very often, maybe once a year. Several years ago it began to happen more frequently and with soft foods. At a regularly scheduled colonoscopy, my gastroenterologist also performed an EGD and found a stricture (which he stretched) and eosinophilic esophagitis. Treatment included Prilosec (every day for the rest of my life) and some thick sticky medicine that I was supposed to fill a syringe with and inject into the back of my throat. I did that 2 or 3 times. Each time it would send me into a coughing, choking fit, so I stopped it. It has been 2 years since my scope and I have not had a problem since. However, reading others' experiences with this disease makes me wonder if I have a gluten allergy. I have experienced diarrhea, gas, stomach cramps, eczema, and severe hay fever all my life. If eliminating gluten would help even a little bit, I am willing to try! Good luck to all.

Comment from: Tim F, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I was recently (2012) diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. I have had this condition since the early 1980s (before physicians knew what it was). I am now 47 years old. I have had many occasions when the food impact event (I didn't even know that that was what it was) would last hours and put me in the hospital. The pain is extreme. I would vomit and vomit in search of relief. Eventually the pain would dissipate (often after injections of Demerol). However the fear of eating is strong. For the benefit of others I will review food triggers that place my throat in the danger zone. The foods are Coke, Pepsi, root beer, bananas, and alcohol. Steak and other meats often trigger an event if my throat is in a bad place to begin with, but they can also trigger without any warning. Additionally, I will occasionally cough up particles of matter that are white in color and smell real bad (I don't think this is undigested food). I wonder if this is associated with EE and if anyone else has had this symptom. This is a horrible condition and I wish everyone here the best in dealing with it.

Comment from: taylor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My eosinophilic esophagitis started when I was having dinner with my family in 2011 and I choked on a piece of steak. Since then, I noticed that I was having trouble swallowing certain foods such as angel hair pasta and tough meat. It would happen only when I ate those certain foods so I thought nothing of it. It was not until February of this year that I noticed that it was starting to get worse. I started to choke on smaller foods such as rice and cheese. It got worse fast from September to November. It wasn't until I choked on water that I decided that it was time to get this checked out. Right away, my doctor knew what I had and he scheduled me for an endoscopy for two days later, November 14. My esophagus was so small that my doctor couldn't get the tube down all the way and had to force it, which alone dilated my esophagus a little. He stopped there so he didn't put me in danger. For the next two days, I ate only pudding and ice cream. I had a lot of pain in my throat and upper gastric area, but that lasted only two days and was normal. I have not choked since. But I still need to get it dilated the rest of the way. I still have a long way to go.

Comment from: Dancer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the first symptoms as a teen. I could not swallow pills and would occasionally choke on solid foods. It progressed to frequent choking on solid foods, especially meat. Then it progressed to even choking on pasta, rice, soft solid foods and I had frequent sore throats. Primary care at that time told me there was no issue, until I could not swallow liquids. Finally at a walk-in visit, I had endoscopy scheduled and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and I had a Savary dilation and was put on Flovent for 2 weeks. I was ok until last few months without additional treatment. Now I am starting to get solids stuck again as it used to several years back.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.