Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

Comment from: taylor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My eosinophilic esophagitis started when I was having dinner with my family in 2011 and I choked on a piece of steak. Since then, I noticed that I was having trouble swallowing certain foods such as angel hair pasta and tough meat. It would happen only when I ate those certain foods so I thought nothing of it. It was not until February of this year that I noticed that it was starting to get worse. I started to choke on smaller foods such as rice and cheese. It got worse fast from September to November. It wasn't until I choked on water that I decided that it was time to get this checked out. Right away, my doctor knew what I had and he scheduled me for an endoscopy for two days later, November 14. My esophagus was so small that my doctor couldn't get the tube down all the way and had to force it, which alone dilated my esophagus a little. He stopped there so he didn't put me in danger. For the next two days, I ate only pudding and ice cream. I had a lot of pain in my throat and upper gastric area, but that lasted only two days and was normal. I have not choked since. But I still need to get it dilated the rest of the way. I still have a long way to go.

Comment from: Dancer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the first symptoms as a teen. I could not swallow pills and would occasionally choke on solid foods. It progressed to frequent choking on solid foods, especially meat. Then it progressed to even choking on pasta, rice, soft solid foods and I had frequent sore throats. Primary care at that time told me there was no issue, until I could not swallow liquids. Finally at a walk-in visit, I had endoscopy scheduled and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and I had a Savary dilation and was put on Flovent for 2 weeks. I was ok until last few months without additional treatment. Now I am starting to get solids stuck again as it used to several years back.

Comment from: lily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Recently I was diagnosed with exercise induced anaphylaxis, and eosinophilic esophagitis. I also had surgery for gerds. I notice that a lot of foods upset my stomach. I was told since I have exercise induced anaphylaxis,I should not eat certain foods, fruits,vegetable, grains like rice and wheat, and shell fish or sea food 5 hours before I exercise, because I may have a deadly allergic reaction, and I have in the past, so I must carry and epipen. I also have disphagia and food gets stuck in my throat. I wonder if some of us with eosinophilic esopagitis also have undiagnosed gluten intolerance, and some how, all of the above mentioned might not be tied together? I never realized just how much hidden gluten there is in some fruits, vegetables, meats and so on. There should be more research done on this. Funny how I had a lot of these problems as a child, but some of it has only recently been diagnosed in middle age.

Comment from: frustrated, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My son was diagnosed with numerous food allergies and EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) at the age of 1. We got everything under control with an elemental formula diet when we was young and has been on a restricted diet for the past 3 years. Well, he started refusing to eat or very small amounts, and off and on diarrhea, so an upper scope was done showing he is active and probably has been for quite some time. He is stubborn and will just refuse to eat until he is offered junk - chips, cookies etc. I don"t understand this, his doctor is suggesting he go back on formula as a supplement but he won"t drink it. He develops agitators of his EE, so a rotating diet hopefully would work, but how does he just deal with the feeling and not say it hurts! Does he not understand or just unbelievably stubborn? I am having a real difficult time with knowing whether to just leave him alone or push the formula and/or medication.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

EE sufferer for 3 years. Food sometimes gets stuck. I try to wash down w/water. If doesn't wash it down, thick mucus that my body produces tries to get it up. Pain it the butt! Embarrassing if in a public place or when at a social gathering. Been Gluten free for 2 years now and seems to be helping greatly. Also staying away from other foods I'm allergic to such as all raw fruit, raw veggies, all tree nuts and of course wheat. Less frequent food gets stuck now! Pollen allergies nearly gone! Being Gluten free has made my digestion better. No more constant upset stomach and gas. From what I know, pollen has very similar proteins to ones in fruit, raw veggies, and TREE nuts. Go figure! Definitely a correlation there.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.