Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

Comment from: Larissa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I took an allergy/sensitivity test. It is different from the IgE test the allergist uses. It's an IgG test called ALCAT. My family doctor suggested I see a chiropractor who does these tests. It's a blood panel test. It found all of my food allergies. I had already made many changes in my diet from seeing two different allergists, but they did not catch everything. Since then, my esophagus has opened back up (I was on a feeding tube and liquid diet for six months) before I took the ALCAT test. My quality of life has gotten much better. I still have a hard time with meat going down my esophagus. Most of the meat will, but some will linger for hours. But at least I don't need antacids anymore or esophagus dilations anymore. And I'm no longer on a liquid diet, either. In the past my gall bladder was hardly functioning, but I felt too weak to get it removed, but as time goes on, my gall bladder seems to be doing much better. Also, my pancreas hasn't been giving me problems anymore, either. I used to suffer from pancreatitis quite a bit, and I had a hard time keeping my electrolytes balanced and ended up in the hospital for a short time with acute kidney failure. But I am doing much better, now. I'm so grateful my family doctor told me about the ALCAT test.

Comment from: EE reply, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My son is 7. When he was a baby he was diagnosed with GERD. It seemed to get better as he got older. But then around 2 years old he would randomly vomit. Seldomly before a meal, mostly during a meal, and sometimes right after eating. No certain foods were recorded, times, no patterns could really be found. Recently his vomiting got consistent enough to see a specialist and after an endoscopy biopsy the doctors confirmed eosinophilic esophagitis. Long before he even went to get his endoscopy procedure his vomiting lessened by a better diet that was acid relfux friendly. He is taking prevacid. I will not be surprised if another flare up occurs. In the meantime he will be getting allergy testing.

Comment from: clarice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am a 36 year old female. I was diagnosed with EE after an endoscopy and biopsy revealed rings and furrows and high levels of eosinophils. I have never been able to swallow pills and have had episodes of food getting stuck. My esophagus has been torn twice during scoping and I am hoping to never have to go through that again. I have yet to see an allergist but have been trying to pin down possible food allergies myself without success. I have anxiety attacks over feeling that my throat is closing up whether I am eating or not. Not sure if it's psychosomatic.

Comment from: chance2, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

My son will be 2 years old this month, and he has never been able to eat anything, he cries for food but he can't get any thing down. It is sad that he has never had any kind of food. He just got out of the hospital for the 19th time and now we find out he has this eosinophilic esophagitis. I have been in and out of the doctor's office and hospitals with him since he was born he has been sick since birth.

Comment from: dear mama, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My daughter is three and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis today. This has been a trying and very difficult disease. We knew something was wrong from the time she was an infant. At the age of 6 months she was diagnosed with CVS (cyclic vomiting syndrome) which seemed to match up until last month when she continuely vomitted every three days for 3 1/2 weeks??? It was horrible. Now that we have this new diagnosis maybe we can also find some relief for her. It is not only hard on her but on the entire family. I feel for any sufferers.

Comment from: carolinarocks28, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I was diagnosed last year with eosinophilic esophagitis. I have had trouble swallowing food for a while before that, but thought nothing of it, when the doctor performed the first scope on my throat, he said the camera got stuck and he was afraid that he was going to rip my esophagus. Now my throat is normal size, a year later, but I still have the disease. For those looking for a way to get your throat normal size, tell you doctor to prescribe you 2 different medicines, first one is Flovent Diskus (fluticasone propionate inhalation powder), but spray on your tongue and swallow it, its a steriod that really helped. Next take omeprazole, which helps with acid reflux which is one of the causes of this disease. Hope this helps.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.