Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

Comment from: mayo1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had my eosinophilic esophagitis diagnosed last year. For several months I had been feeling like my food was stuck in my throat and I would get a pain sensation in my chest. If I drank something it seemed to get better. Finally I had an incident so painful that I finally went to the doctor. Based upon the endoscopy and biopsies the diagnosis was made. I was on a steroid inhaler and am still currently taking omeprazole. I am starting to feel the sensation again and I'm scheduled for another endoscopy.

Comment from: Shelly in Hawaii, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 11 year old son has had EE since he was four. Without medication he would vomit or regurgitate into his mouth up to 20 times per day. He had skin prick allergy testing and the back patch but nothing came up as allergic for him besides dust and mold. He takes Loratadine 10 mg. every night, zantac 150 mg twice and day and does "slurries" with budesonide (pulmicort) liquid and pure maple syrup 30 min. before breakfast and dinner. He used to use .5 mg. but now uses 1 mg. ampules. The slurries are key to my son reducing his otherwise frequent chest pain and vomiting. He was missing 2-4 days per week of school due to his symptoms. We are currently eliminating wheat; dairy and soy to see if that will help him. I hope he doesn't have to take the meds for life as his doctors say. The side effects of steroids - anger, depression, aggression - are not fun. Luckily my son appears to be growing normally with height and weight which is a big relief for me.

Comment from: Larissa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I took an allergy/sensitivity test. It is different from the IgE test the allergist uses. It's an IgG test called ALCAT. My family doctor suggested I see a chiropractor who does these tests. It's a blood panel test. It found all of my food allergies. I had already made many changes in my diet from seeing two different allergists, but they did not catch everything. Since then, my esophagus has opened back up (I was on a feeding tube and liquid diet for six months) before I took the ALCAT test. My quality of life has gotten much better. I still have a hard time with meat going down my esophagus. Most of the meat will, but some will linger for hours. But at least I don't need antacids anymore or esophagus dilations anymore. And I'm no longer on a liquid diet, either. In the past my gall bladder was hardly functioning, but I felt too weak to get it removed, but as time goes on, my gall bladder seems to be doing much better. Also, my pancreas hasn't been giving me problems anymore, either. I used to suffer from pancreatitis quite a bit, and I had a hard time keeping my electrolytes balanced and ended up in the hospital for a short time with acute kidney failure. But I am doing much better, now. I'm so grateful my family doctor told me about the ALCAT test.

Comment from: EE reply, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My son is 7. When he was a baby he was diagnosed with GERD. It seemed to get better as he got older. But then around 2 years old he would randomly vomit. Seldomly before a meal, mostly during a meal, and sometimes right after eating. No certain foods were recorded, times, no patterns could really be found. Recently his vomiting got consistent enough to see a specialist and after an endoscopy biopsy the doctors confirmed eosinophilic esophagitis. Long before he even went to get his endoscopy procedure his vomiting lessened by a better diet that was acid relfux friendly. He is taking prevacid. I will not be surprised if another flare up occurs. In the meantime he will be getting allergy testing.

Comment from: clarice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am a 36 year old female. I was diagnosed with EE after an endoscopy and biopsy revealed rings and furrows and high levels of eosinophils. I have never been able to swallow pills and have had episodes of food getting stuck. My esophagus has been torn twice during scoping and I am hoping to never have to go through that again. I have yet to see an allergist but have been trying to pin down possible food allergies myself without success. I have anxiety attacks over feeling that my throat is closing up whether I am eating or not. Not sure if it's psychosomatic.

Comment from: chance2, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

My son will be 2 years old this month, and he has never been able to eat anything, he cries for food but he can't get any thing down. It is sad that he has never had any kind of food. He just got out of the hospital for the 19th time and now we find out he has this eosinophilic esophagitis. I have been in and out of the doctor's office and hospitals with him since he was born he has been sick since birth.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.