Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis

Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: auntlicia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

For the last few years I have had an ongoing issue of food getting stuck in my esophagus when I'd be eating. It could be the first bite or last bite, at times it would be every meal, and other times only once a few times a week or daily. I started paying attention to what I was eating/drinking. I discovered that every day that I had a sugar free energy drink or soda (or sometimes without this) the following meal would cause me to choke, the food would get lodged in my esophagus and was very uncomfortable. It would lead me to the restroom when I would put my finger down my throat to dislodge the food. Sometimes it was just phlegm or chewed up chicken or dissolved foods from chewing/saliva. Sometimes I would have to do this several times and a few times it caused me to vomit from my stomach, but that was very rare and possibly from a bad reaction to an allergy. I had my endoscopy just two days ago and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and gastritis (as I also have ulcers on my stomach).

Comment from: VAltstatt, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My son (13 years old) just recently got diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). He has been having stomach pains for 7 months and was sent to a specialist at our state children"s hospitals for an EGD/with biopsy. The results came back for elevated eosinophils and thus the diagnosis of EE. He has been put on 2 acid reflux medicines for a trial run and then if they don"t work we will do food elimination to see if that"s the culprit. He has had eczema since 2 months of age and asthma his whole life. Multiple bouts of bronchitis his whole life as well. Hope that helps!

Comment from: FLL Mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had episodes of food, particularly small pieces of poultry getting stuck in my esophagus. This happened rarely, and over the past 3 years I could always tough it out for the 2 to 5 minutes it took for food to pass. I assumed it was a Schatzki's ring or the like. What sent me to the gastroenterologist was an episode of a tiny piece of chicken getting stuck for more than 30 minutes. I almost went to the emergency room. An EGD and biopsy the next day revealed eosinophilic esophagitis with more than 40 eosinophils/HPF. I have been plagued with various allergies my entire life. I had a brief history of asthma in my late 30s and early 40s. I have severe pruritus and welts which pop up at different parts of my body on a daily basis. I live on Benadryl. I am going to see an allergist next week for consultation and testing.

Comment from: RCV, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Serious heartburn, trouble swallowing (I mean food being caught in my throat unable to pass until it was broken down), and excessive burping were the 3 factors that led to me going to the doctor. It also helps that my significant other (SO) is a nurse and was very concerned as to what she was witnessing. An endoscopy was done and they confirmed I have eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) and I"m now taking a 20 mg proton pump inhibitor twice a day which has greatly improved my quality of life.

Comment from: niko, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had some minor difficulty swallowing for a number of years. Heartburn, reflux after drinking or coffee/ chocolate, tomatoes and acidic juices were also present. I suffered from hay fever and asthma when young though I grew out of it. I recently had trouble breathing and after an endoscopy, was told likely to be eosinophilic esophagitis. Waiting on path. I am probably going to be given an asthma like puffer, I will know in a few weeks.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.