Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis

Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: VAltstatt, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My son (13 years old) just recently got diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). He has been having stomach pains for 7 months and was sent to a specialist at our state children"s hospitals for an EGD/with biopsy. The results came back for elevated eosinophils and thus the diagnosis of EE. He has been put on 2 acid reflux medicines for a trial run and then if they don"t work we will do food elimination to see if that"s the culprit. He has had eczema since 2 months of age and asthma his whole life. Multiple bouts of bronchitis his whole life as well. Hope that helps!

Comment from: FLL Mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had episodes of food, particularly small pieces of poultry getting stuck in my esophagus. This happened rarely, and over the past 3 years I could always tough it out for the 2 to 5 minutes it took for food to pass. I assumed it was a Schatzki's ring or the like. What sent me to the gastroenterologist was an episode of a tiny piece of chicken getting stuck for more than 30 minutes. I almost went to the emergency room. An EGD and biopsy the next day revealed eosinophilic esophagitis with more than 40 eosinophils/HPF. I have been plagued with various allergies my entire life. I had a brief history of asthma in my late 30s and early 40s. I have severe pruritus and welts which pop up at different parts of my body on a daily basis. I live on Benadryl. I am going to see an allergist next week for consultation and testing.

Comment from: RCV, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Serious heartburn, trouble swallowing (I mean food being caught in my throat unable to pass until it was broken down), and excessive burping were the 3 factors that led to me going to the doctor. It also helps that my significant other (SO) is a nurse and was very concerned as to what she was witnessing. An endoscopy was done and they confirmed I have eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) and I"m now taking a 20 mg proton pump inhibitor twice a day which has greatly improved my quality of life.

Comment from: niko, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had some minor difficulty swallowing for a number of years. Heartburn, reflux after drinking or coffee/ chocolate, tomatoes and acidic juices were also present. I suffered from hay fever and asthma when young though I grew out of it. I recently had trouble breathing and after an endoscopy, was told likely to be eosinophilic esophagitis. Waiting on path. I am probably going to be given an asthma like puffer, I will know in a few weeks.

Comment from: Kay, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My son stopped growing along the growth curve around the time I started him on cereals. His stature is very small and he has many food aversions. At his 6 year checkup the doctor decided to run some more labs for size issues and referred us to a gastroenterologist. An endoscopy showed he has a swollen esophagus, stomach ulcers and irritations in small intestine.

Comment from: PCJr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 5 years ago after having an EGD to remove some chicken impacted in my esophagus. I've tried a variety of medications and diets to control the disease. An elemental diet reduced the eosinophil to zero, but that was not a long term solution. Elimination diets provided some relief. The number of food allergies I had finally caused me to look to medications. For nearly two years I've swallowed medication from an inhaler. That has been the answer for me.

Comment from: Michelle, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I couldn't fully swallow most solid foods and had to constantly drink water in order to push the food down.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.