Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet

Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) and started the elimination diet on October 19. I have eliminated the items specific to my skin testing - dairy, gluten, eggs and nuts as well as two extras, soy and fish. I was told by my allergist (who is an EE guru in our state) that I wouldn't do this. I was told since I have 2 young children, husband, and a busy life that I would never do it. Perhaps he was using reverse psychology - if so it worked. Although I haven't been perfect, I am doing well. I am eating more fresh fruits & vegetables, fresh meat and almost no processed foods. It isn't easy but when you think of what I am eating (and feeding my family) we are all better off for it. My husband misses me cooking with butter but he can put it on at the table if he chooses. Within the first week of the diet my obvious digestive symptoms were gone or nearly gone. The amazing part is that in that same time my joints no longer hurt, headaches were gone, and my energy level had increased! Since the start if I "fall off the wagon" I instantly (and I'm talking 15 minutes) ache in my joints like I'm an old lady again and my hiccups and choking start again. It isn't easy, but so worth it. If I could make an entire holiday dinner (that no one noticed until I told them) to fit my diet, then it can be done. It just takes an open mind, family support, and creativity.

Comment from: RobinD, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My daughter has been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) and we have been doing the elimination diet for approximately 2 months. Just wondering if we could try a food and for how long, and then try another food, etc. to maybe see if we can pinpoint a certain food or foods.

Comment from: HH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I choked on foods for about 10 years before I found out I had EE. Finally, I decided to go to the doctor when I noticed that I was choking at every meal, and it was getting humiliating. I got diagnosed with EE while getting my esophagus stretched arthroscopically. Then I went to an amazing allergist who did skin and blood testing. I found out I was allergic to every animal, every tree, every grass, wheat, oats, barley, buckwheat, eggs, nuts, oranges, salad, tomatoes, raspberries, pineapple, and quite a few other things. Thank goodness for milk and meat. Since I started the elimination diet, I have lost about 45 pounds, but I was overweight to begin with, so now I am a healthy weight. Also, I'm not choking on anything. Whenever I choke, I immediately have to evaluate what I am eating. I have tried to incorporate lettuce and tomatoes back into my diet, but have noticed that I am still choking on dark green lettuce but not iceberg. I will be starting the allergy shots soon. This is a horrible thing to go through, but it really does get easier. Thanksgiving was rough, but you get used to it.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.