Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?

Comment from: GrandmaS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) for 6 years, I have tried Flovent, steroids, just about everything everyone else has tried. I started getting on different blogs hoping I would find something else that I have not tried, came across someone saying they are taking Singulair, and it helped with all symptoms. I tried it and it has totally worked for me, it felt like a miracle. No more hurting when I swallow, but now I feel sick to my stomach all the time, and I wonder if it is food allergy causing it.

Comment from: yogamom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My first experience with EE was when I choked on a piece of food, and it kept happening. My GI doc scheduled an endoscopy, but he only tested for cancer, not EE. I fired him for his "get over it" attitude, and went to my MD to ask for a referral to a new GI. She diagnosed the EE and referred me to an allergist. I've made it to a maintenance dose for my allergy shot and made it through pollen season. So far, the EE is better than it was most of the time, but I got a good flare-up after a landscaping day (my key allergen is grass pollen). My allergist thinks the shots will eventually cure the EE because he theorizes the EE is triggered by allergies. During the pollen season, I avoid a long list of foods, including wheat, which is cross-allergenic with grass pollen. Fingers crossed that the shots will work -- I miss bread, and the burning in my chest during flare-ups is something I could do without as well. I found budesonide very effective and low on side effects when the EE was at its worst. Now, I usually take nothing. I just cut out the cross-allergenic foods during their respective pollen seasons.

Comment from: GBmom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son started seasonal allergies with trees and grass a couple of years ago and also had trouble eating his favorite foods such as tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, melons, apples, strawberries, etc. I took him to an allergist and she said that he has "oral allergic reaction." This happens to about 30% of the population that suffer from seasonal allergies. When my son eats the raw version of the food, he has the eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) feeling, but when the fruit or vegetable is cooked, it breaks down the protein that causes his allergic reaction. His skin testing came back negative for all these foods because in order for them to get the serum for the test, it must be cooked, thus breaking down the protein that causes his reaction and it gives a false negative to the skin test. We still are avoiding the uncooked version of these foods, but he can eat the canned ones, such as applesauce, pears, etc.

Comment from: Kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Swallowing Flovent and pink lemonade for some reason helps me, it may not help others, but I think the acid breaks down food faster and helps.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.