Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: J., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

After pills and pills that never worked for heartburn and chest pain, I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis after 12 years of problems. I finally got a food allergy test where they put food patches on your back for three days. With this method, they finally diagnosed a chicken allergy. Once I stopped eating all poultry products, all symptoms were gone after one month! Hang in there and persist to find the culprit. I have not taken any medicines, not even an acid reducer in over a year!

Comment from: Cullensmum, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 15 year old son has been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis, and we've done the allergy testing and it came back negative (food and environmental). We've had 2 biopsy procedures and he's been taking Nexium 40 mg daily since late November late year. The last biopsy showed there were still changes going on in his throat. We're now heading back to see the specialist tomorrow to see what our next move is. I just wish I knew what was causing it!

Comment from: EoEchick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have confirmed diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis, after endoscopy, dilation and colonoscopy, and nonfunctioning gallbladder removal. Currently I feel fabulous. My best advice is to get skin prick allergy test. I strictly removed all confirmed allergens from my diet (soy, dairy, tree nuts, and gluten). Inhaled confirmed allergens (grasses, pollens, dust mite, etc.), who knows, can't stop breathing, guess time will tell. I keep on hand swallowed steroids, used for approximately 3 weeks. Good result. But I feel allergenic food elimination is vital to feeling so much better. I still take Prilosec generic every day with super enzymes 1 per day. Can't tell you how much better I feel every day! Hope this helps anyone going through this right now, research on web may help.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My husband has this eosinophilic esophagitis. It's terrible. He is allergic to almost all fruits and vegetables. He can't eat healthy because of this problem. He's getting older and heavier as a result. The acid reflux medications don't really help. He needs an endoscopy every year or two to release stricture in his esophagus and break up scar tissue. I'm really worried that he will end up with cancer because of this. Now every time he gets sick, his sore throat and coughing are much more painful. It's frustrating that there is nothing they can do about it.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

It all started when I started having random bouts of severe chest pains that mostly occurred on my right side. After making multiple trips to the emergency room and having tons of bloodwork, no one could find out what was wrong with me. They first thought it was my heart or possibly a clot in my lungs. They even checked on my gallbladder and pancreas and nothing would show up. I finally visited a gastroenterologist to have my gallbladder checked and she decided that my symptoms were quite a bit different than the typical gallbladder/pancreas problems. I had an upper endoscopy done and sure enough, eosinophilic esophagitis showed up in the biopsy. I am now on Prilosec 20 mg and a Flovent inhaler for treatment. Symptoms have dramatically improved, but I still have days where my chest pain returns if I eat something I shouldn't have or if I'm under a lot of stress. Lately I was on doxycycline for a respiratory infection and it flared my acid reflux up so I'm going through some pain right now. I have quite a lot of food allergies so it's incredibly difficult to find out which is the trigger for the pain. The only thing I haven't ruled out is wheat, which I'm about to try going wheat free to see what happens. I'm a 20 year old college student so it's hard to keep the stress levels down at times, but I have noticed it flares up more when I feel stressed, which is aggravating because the pain stresses me out at times, which only makes things worse. Very annoying disease, but I'm so glad to have found a doctor who knows what's wrong with me. I wish the best of luck to anyone with this condition. It's not an easy thing to live with.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.