Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: Laura E., 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My 5 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) when she was 20 months old. She was biopsied and allergy tested by the Atopy patch method. She ended up reacting to all animal products, corn, rice and green legumes. We eliminated all of the indicated substances from her diet (and a few more as her body indicated), and she started growing. We have been able to avoid all medicine intervention in her case. Her treatment is strictly dietary. She is now a very healthy child who is looking forward to kindergarten next year. Good luck to everyone dealing with this infuriating disease, may you find your answers as we have!

Comment from: IowaGuy85, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 5 years ago, and am currently 28. I always assumed that my food allergy was random, because I would choke on different things, and be fine with that same thing the next. I recently started a diet, and eliminated pop and processed foods, switching to fruits and vegetables. I discovered, with an emergency trip to the hospital, that orange/citrus was a major culprit. I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew, whose main ingredient is concentrated orange juice. Since eliminating oranges from my diet, I have gone from choking every other meal to not having an issue at all.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 4 years ago. After many allergy tests were basically inconclusive, I found that taking Multizyme took care of my problems in most cases. I still could not consume my culprits (eggs, beer, wine and champagne). About 6 months ago, I discovered that after doing the Daniel Fast for 2 weeks, I could resume eating everything that caused me problems (mainly anything with eggs), without taking any medications. After having some champagne, my symptoms have returned, so I am planning on doing the Daniel Fast again (the full 3 weeks this time!). Hope this helps most EE sufferers!

Comment from: Silver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 41 and have just been diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis). I have had it since I was a kid and have had several endoscopies. I have had food stuck twice that have needed medical attention. I used to force the food down with liquid but stopped after blocking my airway twice with the piece of food. I now "swallow air" to clear the food and find it works the best. I have several food allergies that cause my EE. I have just been put on Flovent and hope that it will help. I am thankful to my latest doctor who gave me a diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: Portland Dude, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 33 year-old male. I was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) a few years ago after experiencing repeated swallowing trouble. My EE is caused by acid reflux, and my symptoms disappear if I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or if I follow a gluten-free diet. If I follow a strict gluten-free diet, I don't have to take the PPI and my symptoms are eliminated.

Comment from: EEMom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My son was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis one year ago at age 16, although he was displaying symptoms as early as 4.His symptoms were excessive chewing, pocketing food in cheeks and reluctance to swallow without liquids. We tried prednisone, and two elimination diets. Now on budesonide "slurry." He is going this week for 5th scope in 13 months.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 49 years old. Since I can remember, even as a young teenager, approximately an hour after I would eat eggs, not every single time, I would get a feeling in my throat like food was stuck there and on the inner right side of my sternum I would get pains. In order for it to stop or get any relief at all, I would drink a Diet Coke. It sounds dumb, but the carbonation of the soda would make me belch and give me some relief from the pain. The pain was intermittent then for approximately 48 hours. I had an endoscopy in 2009 and was told there was nothing wrong. Two weeks ago after going out to breakfast, the pain in my chest from the eggs was the worst it had ever been and lasted for days. I had another endoscopy done a week and a half ago, was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and prescribed prescription antacids and an inhaler of medicine. I will be getting tested for food allergies next week.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.