Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: Peppermint patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am 53 years old and I have had issues since I was 17. I have been on omeprazole and ranitidine for over 20 years. Eight months ago I started to have such severe chest pains I was in the emergency room 5 times. I got a new gastroenterologist and with an endoscopy I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. I was put on nitroglycerin short term. It helps open the swollen esophagus. I was also put on budesonide mixed with honey. This is a swallowed steroid (watch out, CVS doesn't want to fill it). It worked well but didn't end my pain. My doctor added sucralfate. That helped more but again still didn't cure me. I went to get allergy tested for environment and food. I found out I am allergic to all environmental things and strange foods. I am allergic to lettuce, pea, asparagus, oranges, oregano and many more foods. I am in shock. I thought lettuce was water. After taking out all the food allergens I am feeling better, still but not totally cured. I highly suggest you all get food tested. It's hard to stay away from foods I know are 'good' for me but it has helped. From someone who has been living with this horrible problem for over 30 years, good luck to all you young people. Take my information to your doctors and if you can find a medical practice that also uses holistic medicine, it is better to combine western and eastern medicines. You need a combination of many things to cure yourself. Good luck.

Comment from: worriedmom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 05

My son is 15 and was just diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. He has it throughout his digestive system. It was found after a biopsy. The reason for the endoscopy was he had a perforated duodenal ulcer a couple of weeks ago and had emergency surgery. He started an elimination diet yesterday, which for a 15 year boy is going to be hard. He has always had problems swallowing, and lower back pain recently. He has always been an extremely picky eater and struggled to gain weight. Now he is losing weight. He has had lots of joint issues and broken bones also. Looking for all the information we can find. We are still trying to figure out what is going on with him and what's causing all of this.

Comment from: Worried mother, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My son has eosinophilic esophagitis and was recently diagnosed at the beginning of this year. I have been doing my research about it and cannot seem to find any answers as to why my son has prolonged diarrhea symptoms. As this disease seems to be a primarily upper esophageal issue I am concerned as to why he has the added symptoms. He also has vomiting and abdominal pain. He will get sick at times for weeks and nothing seems to help to ease his pain. We have been giving him prescribed acid reducing medications which have helped reduce his symptoms for several months, however now his symptoms are spiking up.

Comment from: J., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

After pills and pills that never worked for heartburn and chest pain, I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis after 12 years of problems. I finally got a food allergy test where they put food patches on your back for three days. With this method, they finally diagnosed a chicken allergy. Once I stopped eating all poultry products, all symptoms were gone after one month! Hang in there and persist to find the culprit. I have not taken any medicines, not even an acid reducer in over a year!

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.