Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: Dom's Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My 17-year-old son was just diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. The doctor could barely get the scope down. He's just started mediation and needs to be on a liquid diet for two weeks before having another endoscopy. I'm writing to alert parents not to ignore the symptoms. He had sporadic choking issues his whole life which I attributed to not chewing properly or eating too fast. He could never swallow pills. This past year he had to choke up food almost every day (in school, out with friends, at home). Thankfully he was able to get the food up or down and still breathe. If your son or daughter exhibits any swallowing issues - get it checked out right away.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have recently (1 year ago) been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I am a 40 year old female without allergies. I started having symptoms almost ten years ago and was told that my problem with swallowing was due to trying to swallow too large amounts of food and that I should chew my food more and take smaller bites. I would urge anyone who has been told this to continue to seek care and don't stop until you find help. I currently take use an inhaler, which I swallow, and have found that it helps, but not 100%. I am also told that trying to dilate my esophagus is dangerous and not recommended. My symptoms are problems swallowing, choking, chest pain, a constant sore throat, heart burn and acid reflux. I also have a hiatal hernia, which I attribute to my reflux and will have surgery to fix that. I am hoping that it will help with my Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Comment from: brenda47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 47 yr female with EE, I just started with the inhaler, we'll see. I would feel like the food would get stuck, and then get chest pain. I also get short of breath when I lay down after eating certain foods. I also get nausea, epigastric pain. I am finding I get symptomatic with some foods and not with others. Starting to think this is an allergic response and I will feel better if I avoid these foods. Just have to figure out. Doctors are not helpful so far with that part.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.