Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: Silver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 41 and have just been diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis). I have had it since I was a kid and have had several endoscopies. I have had food stuck twice that have needed medical attention. I used to force the food down with liquid but stopped after blocking my airway twice with the piece of food. I now "swallow air" to clear the food and find it works the best. I have several food allergies that cause my EE. I have just been put on Flovent and hope that it will help. I am thankful to my latest doctor who gave me a diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: Portland Dude, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 33 year-old male. I was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) a few years ago after experiencing repeated swallowing trouble. My EE is caused by acid reflux, and my symptoms disappear if I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or if I follow a gluten-free diet. If I follow a strict gluten-free diet, I don't have to take the PPI and my symptoms are eliminated.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 49 years old. Since I can remember, even as a young teenager, approximately an hour after I would eat eggs, not every single time, I would get a feeling in my throat like food was stuck there and on the inner right side of my sternum I would get pains. In order for it to stop or get any relief at all, I would drink a Diet Coke. It sounds dumb, but the carbonation of the soda would make me belch and give me some relief from the pain. The pain was intermittent then for approximately 48 hours. I had an endoscopy in 2009 and was told there was nothing wrong. Two weeks ago after going out to breakfast, the pain in my chest from the eggs was the worst it had ever been and lasted for days. I had another endoscopy done a week and a half ago, was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and prescribed prescription antacids and an inhaler of medicine. I will be getting tested for food allergies next week.

Comment from: Tammy W., 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My son who is just shy of being 15 years old was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis). He has been put on medications and we have done elimination diet of corn, soy, milk, eggs, peanut, tree nuts, carrots, beans, peas and celery. He is allergic to all trees and weeds etc. He is still having issues with vomiting and feeling like he has something stuck in his throat. I am very concerned. This is scary.

Comment from: Sambo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have been suffering with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) since my early twenties. It's been an occasional episode of food getting stuck in my throat, which would release quite quickly. Over the years this has worsened and now it happens pretty much every time I eat. The food gets stuck in my throat and my body behaves as though I am choking. I produce a huge amount of saliva which I can't swallow so have to spit out. I have tried forcing the food down with various types of drinks to no avail. I can't even force the food back out by vomiting. I am able to vomit food from my stomach but not the "stuck" piece, which remains firmly in place. I suffer with heart burn regularly and an irritating cough, especially when lying down. I have tried the steroid pump swallow, the proton pump inhibitors, antihistamines, allergy testing and elimination diets which have highlighted certain allergies but not enough to alleviate the issue. I am pushing to be put on an elemental liquid only diet and start from scratch. Fifteen years is far too long to be suffering with this and the doctors seem only to know the same amount as I have been able to find out for myself online.

Comment from: Sean, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 19 year old male and I was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) about 2 months ago. I began having serious symptoms in February of 2013, the last stretch of my senior year in high school. I never had any issues with swallowing, the symptoms I experienced were a severe sensation of the need to gag and severe heartburn. I never did gag much because I kept telling myself that it was simply anxiety. I did not think I was going to be able to finish out my high school career with having to throw up all of the time or continue on to college. It took me 6 months to realize that it was not anxiety and to go see the doctor about it. The endoscopy showed that I had multiple ulcers on my esophagus from the daily heartburn. After being on Flovent to reduce the inflammation and heartburn medication and an exclusionary diet I feel so much better. I still have a bit of residual anxiety about it though, but I am really working on it. I also had allergy testing done and it showed that I was allergic to yeast, oats, barley, and rye. Doing all of this has helped so much in not only making me feel physically better but also putting my mind at peace knowing that this feeling wasn't all in my head.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.