Patient Comments: Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Comment from: dazzlingd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a 39 year old female who got food stuck in my throat (it never goes down) occasionally 4 years ago. Eventually it progressed to a daily event, and I had chronic voice loss and sore throat. An endoscopy provided me with an eosinophilic esophagitis diagnoses, and swallowed fluticasone sprays and Prilosec held me for a while. But after eating sushi last week, it flared up badly. I started a NEWSSROOM (the only way I can remember nuts, eggs, wheat, soy, shellfish, rice, milk) diet and starting budesonide mixed with Splenda, swallowed twice daily, instead of the fluticasone and it seems to be helping.

Comment from: BeckyinCA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a 56 year old female who started having swallowing issues about two years ago. In the last six months, it was getting worse; food would get stuck and I would have to vomit since I couldn't get the food to move. I also had chest pain when it happened. After having an endoscopy, I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). I was then seen by an allergist who told me to avoid gluten, dairy products, all nuts and soy. I had another endoscopy three months later, and everything was normal. I also was put on Prilosec. I'm happy that everything seems fine now and I haven't had any issues for over two months.

Comment from: Laura E., 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My 5 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) when she was 20 months old. She was biopsied and allergy tested by the Atopy patch method. She ended up reacting to all animal products, corn, rice and green legumes. We eliminated all of the indicated substances from her diet (and a few more as her body indicated), and she started growing. We have been able to avoid all medicine intervention in her case. Her treatment is strictly dietary. She is now a very healthy child who is looking forward to kindergarten next year. Good luck to everyone dealing with this infuriating disease, may you find your answers as we have!

Comment from: IowaGuy85, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 5 years ago, and am currently 28. I always assumed that my food allergy was random, because I would choke on different things, and be fine with that same thing the next. I recently started a diet, and eliminated pop and processed foods, switching to fruits and vegetables. I discovered, with an emergency trip to the hospital, that orange/citrus was a major culprit. I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew, whose main ingredient is concentrated orange juice. Since eliminating oranges from my diet, I have gone from choking every other meal to not having an issue at all.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 4 years ago. After many allergy tests were basically inconclusive, I found that taking Multizyme took care of my problems in most cases. I still could not consume my culprits (eggs, beer, wine and champagne). About 6 months ago, I discovered that after doing the Daniel Fast for 2 weeks, I could resume eating everything that caused me problems (mainly anything with eggs), without taking any medications. After having some champagne, my symptoms have returned, so I am planning on doing the Daniel Fast again (the full 3 weeks this time!). Hope this helps most EE sufferers!

Comment from: Silver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 41 and have just been diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis). I have had it since I was a kid and have had several endoscopies. I have had food stuck twice that have needed medical attention. I used to force the food down with liquid but stopped after blocking my airway twice with the piece of food. I now "swallow air" to clear the food and find it works the best. I have several food allergies that cause my EE. I have just been put on Flovent and hope that it will help. I am thankful to my latest doctor who gave me a diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: Portland Dude, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 33 year-old male. I was diagnosed with EE (eosinophilic esophagitis) a few years ago after experiencing repeated swallowing trouble. My EE is caused by acid reflux, and my symptoms disappear if I take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or if I follow a gluten-free diet. If I follow a strict gluten-free diet, I don't have to take the PPI and my symptoms are eliminated.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your case of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.