Patient Comments:

Were you diagnosed with an enterovirulent E. coli infection? If so, what were your symptoms?

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

On a Sunday, I began to feel lightheaded. I had severe diarrhea, but since I have Crohn's disease and had been dealing with a flare, I was not able to know anything else was going on except for the lightheadedness. I tried to keep hydrated since I knew I was losing fluids. My stomach was distended and I had extreme pain in my gut, but I was also suffering from a severe headache that was lasting for hours. I began running a fever at 101 degrees. At around 3 a.m. Monday, I blacked out after using the toilet, hit my head and hurt my neck and lower back as well. My head continued to hurt for days, and my temperature ran between 101 and 103. I tried to keep the pain and my temperature down with pain medications every four hours, but I finally went to the VA hospital on that Thursday. The ER treated me with IV Cipro since a urine sample showed blood and mucus in my urine. The ER did a blood culture which finally identified the culprit as E. coli. It took several days for the heady feeling to leave my head and the headache to go away. I have continued to have watery diarrhea, but I am seeing some signs of improvement. I steadily have gotten better and am on day 11 since the onset. I'm still taking one oral Cipro 500 mg pill twice daily.

Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC) - Treatment Question: What treatment methods did you receive for your enterovirulent E. coli infection?
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC) - Self-Care Question: After receiving a diagnosis of an enterovirulent E. coli infection, what at-home care methods did you use?