Patient Comments: Enlarged Spleen - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of enlarged spleen?

Comment from: Loulabell, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disease: myeloproliferative disease (MPD). My bone marrow is producing immature cells which get filtered by the spleen, causing it to work overtime and enlarge. Treatment for the MPD has been hydroxyurea 500 mg. I have been on it for 2 plus years. Seems to have improved RBC, WBC, platelet and LDH levels, but has not reduced the size of the spleen.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Billy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My enlarged spleen was the result of an enlarged liver, resulting from a high fat diet and high cholesterol/tri lipids. I was ordered to lose massive weight to recover.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: TracyLee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I went to see an acupuncturist for my spleen issues. The treatment includes eating congee (basically mushy rice), root vegetables, and warm/hot foods. Stay away from all damp, cold foods like dairy or other cold foods. Meat is good when eaten with garlic or onions (other roots.) Just google how to nourish the spleen.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Enlarged Spleen - Cause Question: What caused your case of an enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with an enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Complications Question: What complications did you have with an enlarged spleen?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.