Patient Comments: Enlarged Spleen - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with an enlarged spleen?

A Doctor's View on Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Enlarged spleen symptoms can include pain in your left shoulder blade or shoulder area when taking a deep breath, pain in your upper stomach, or a bloated feeling without eating a meal. Since an enlarged spleen is caused by other disease or conditions, you may also have fatigue, nausea, or weight loss. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Lananabk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I just came from my doctor. I have an enlarged spleen. The pain has begun to get worse. I have so much pain with bloating. My left shoulder blade hurts and I get hiccups. I'm not hungry at all. I was treated for Helicobacter pylori. Now I have to go get a sonogram with a Doppler to check my splenic vein, and then another scope. I have had high white red cells for years now. I also had a bone marrow biopsy which came back normal. I have thickness in my tummy. My gastroenterologist told me more likely than not he will have to remove my spleen. The exam was so painful. He also asked if I had lupus. My oncologist hinted on that. I suffer with incredible joint pain in my hands hips and feet. Horrible! I will keep you guys posted.

Comment from: Mominos, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My spleen is enlarged due to a splenic infarction caused by a blood clot. I was diagnosed with lupus anticoagulant antibody after finding the infarction in my spleen. With blood thinners, I am able to function normally but have chronic pain and am looking for any symptoms or problems I should be aware of.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have a slightly enlarged spleen and an enlarged liver. My spleen is causing a lower platelet count. My liver is fibrous. I don't know what to do or if there is a right answer. Besides that, I feel pretty good.

Comment from: Audry33, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been having belly pain for months, I have lost 20 pounds in the last month. I am nauseous all the time. I can't eat, or after I am in horrible pain and my armpit into my back has started hurting! I am afraid to eat because of the pain. I found out recently that my spleen is enlarged.

Comment from: ms.seeking.info., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have recently been diagnosed with a mass on my liver 6 months ago. After having a second MRI 4 days ago, it has been shown that my spleen is prominent. I have read your symptoms of the above in reference to the spleen and I have 4 out of 5 of the symptoms shown. My spleen was not prominent in the 1st MRI and my doctor advised me to wait another 6 months to take a 3rd.

Enlarged Spleen - Cause Question: What caused your case of an enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Experience Question: Please share your experience with an enlarged spleen.