Patient Comments: Enlarged Spleen - Cause

What caused your case of an enlarged spleen?

A Doctor's View on Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Causes

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

The spleen helps your body fight bacteria and infections. Diseases and conditions cause the spleen to become enlarged. Some of the common causes that may enlarge your spleen are liver disease, cancers, infections, inflammation of the heart. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Toy Story, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have portal hypertension and an enlarged spleen due to treatment for cancer when I was young. I have low counts on all my blood results. It makes me feel tired, I am prone to infection, and feel generally unwell.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Mr. K, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Crohn's disease, Type 2 Diabetic, Liver Transplant recipient, appendix and Gall Bladder removed. Enlarge Spleen, anemic, loss of appetite resulting in 30 pound loss in the last 2 months. Occasional night Sweats.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Painful & Lethargic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My enlarged spleen is the result of a mononucleosis (Epstein Barr) infection. I am 29 years old, and was unaware that mono was such a threat to people outside of their teens and early twenties. I currently work in the medical field and suspect that I acquired the virus as a result of my occupation. I have not been drinking after others or kissing! Hoping my spleen (and energy level) returns to normal soon!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My spleen is enlarged due to Typhi H infection. I have a very low level of energy all day. The symptoms are painful and indescribable.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: kiwisrock, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 07

My enlarged spleen is the result of cirrhosis of the liver which has occurred from the pain medicines I take for a shoulder injury I got at work 4 years ago. My spleen measures roughly 21cm, and with that and my enlarged liver, I look about 9 months pregnant, I have to lose weight and hopefully that will reverse some of the symptoms.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: worrying_sister, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My brother has been admitted into the hospital last week because his body temperature was kept increased after 3 days. They made an ultrasound and MRI scan and found this splenomegaly. They took the blood test and did not find anything abnormal with the blood cells. He's now transferred to another hospital for a second opinion. I live abroad, so I can't see how he's doing. My mum told me that his temperature went down after he took the medicine but increase again afterwards. Does anybody experience this? Thanks a lot.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Sheehan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

My spleen is enlarged, I've lost weight, and have a high white blood cell count. My doctor suspects it is because of an infection, but I am very concerned.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: dan1836, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I fell on a table corner and my spleen became enlarged the next day. I lived with it for more than 20 years and now I'm starting to have pain. My doctor doesn't think it's from the trauma, but I'm 100% sure it is. I'm 58 years old and my blood count is fine. I just don't know what to do. I'm losing weight.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Enlarged Spleen - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with an enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Complications Question: What complications did you have with an enlarged spleen?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.