Patient Comments: Enlarged Spleen - Cause

What caused your case of an enlarged spleen?

A Doctor's View on Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Causes

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

The spleen helps your body fight bacteria and infections. Diseases and conditions cause the spleen to become enlarged. Some of the common causes that may enlarge your spleen are liver disease, cancers, infections, inflammation of the heart. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: colorful, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

MRI shows enlarged spleen. I've had hepatitis C for a very long time and have now had the cure, Harvoni, but I have some cirrhosis of the liver. I have lower left back pain, causing sleep disturbances from pain.

Comment from: Jason, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I have PV (polycythemia vera) cancer. My body makes too much blood and my spleen is 3 times larger than it should be. It is very rare but a bone marrow biopsy is the only way to find out.

Comment from: JoHL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have a history of iron deficiency anemia as a child. I was hemolytic when suffering from the usual children's illnesses like tonsillitis. I had glandular fever at 21. Usual blood tests done at that time but an observant person looking at my tests for iron deficiency realized there were lots of spherocytes present in my blood sample. Hemoglobin was 6. Reticulocyte count was 584. Glandular fever lasted 6 months and symptoms returned 1 year later. My enlarged spleen is a result of congenital spherocytosis (hemolytic anemia). I wasn't diagnosed until I was 25 despite a history of all the relevant symptoms throughout my childhood.

Comment from: SJ86, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My sister is 27 going on 28, she was recently admitted to the hospital because she had a really bad headache and stiff neck. She has had CT scan on head and whole body, and they noticed her spleen is a bit larger than normal, besides lymph nodes in stomach and neck being swollen. Her white blood cell count was low they said red cells and platelets were normal. She keep getting a fever on and off and she had bone marrow and biopsy on her neck (lymph nodes) to see what was going on. They have mentioned looking into infection/virus along with checking her for cancer. I'm hoping it is not cancer.

Comment from: luckydoged, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 53 years old and have fatty liver and enlarged spleen (14.1 cm). The total bilirubin is 2.2, AST 16 and ALT 17. I have been taken milk thistle.

Comment from: RA07121966, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have suffered with jaundice 4 times in my 49 years. Last time when I went to doctor he asked me to go for blood test and abdomen scan. He found that my spleen had become larger in size and advised me to take tablets Udiliv 300 AND Evion 400. Also I am taking 3 balls of Phyllanthus early in the morning. I stopped alcohol totally. Now bilirubin declined from 7.4 TO 1.3 within 15 days. This is my suggestion to my friends, stop alcohol and please take Phyllanthus when you have liver and spleen related disease.

Enlarged Spleen - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with an enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of enlarged spleen?
Enlarged Spleen - Experience Question: Please share your experience with an enlarged spleen.