Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Comment from: madeline.lowery, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with endometriosis after an ectopic pregnancy when I was 21. When I'm having my period the pain in my pelvis is so great during this time that I'm only able to be active for about a half hour before needing to sit or lay back down. Over the counter medicine does seem to relieve my pain. And applying heat helps significantly. Also during menstruation my lower back aches like it is bruised and I get so exhausted that I fall asleep doing anything where I sit still for a few minutes. It's truly debilitating for the days that I'm bleeding.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 58 years old. I was diagnosed with endometriosis at 16. The doctor said I would probably never have children. I hadn"t even graduated from high school yet and I was devastated. I had been having so much pain and heavy bleeding. The pain would cause me to vomit and I would have to leave school. I married at 19 and continued to have pain, but birth control pills helped. Unfortunately I had to stop taking them due to migraine headaches associated with the pill. I still dreamed of having my own child, but the doctor said my chances were one in a million. I found another doctor who treated infertility and under his care I beat those odds and had a wonderful son. At 37 years old I slipped and fell and a chocolate ovarian cyst broke inside of me. I hemorrhaged for 5 days before I was taken seriously and surgery was done. I nearly died from blood loss and was extremely ill. Eight weeks later I had a total hysterectomy. My health was restored and I felt wonderful for the first time since I was a young girl.

Comment from: 30years later, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I started having pain at age sixteen, it was not until age 21 I found out I had endometriosis. I have seen several doctors over a period of years and the one I have now has been my obstetrician/gynecologist for over 30 years. I take strong painkillers. I do have some pain but I changed my diet to lots of fruits and vegetables and this has helped. I am at a point in my life that I am so tired of this that I don"t know what to do. I am still not sure about surgery. I just want pain relief. This disease can and will ruin a relationship.

Comment from: BP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a hysterectomy to be rid of the endometriosis, but it did not work; In fact it is worse now. I have major skin pain, like an inside out pin cushion is being pressed against it continuously, I cough and it feels like my skin is going to explode. It is so bad it brings tears to my eyes most times. It hurts to have anything against it. It hurts when I move. It's really painful.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 43 and about 4 years ago I started having lots of ovarian cysts, some the size of an orange. My cycle would only last 3 days from start to finish, then in June I had a cycle, then stopped for 3 months and started again in October that lasted 14 days, very heavy flow. I stopped for a week and started back bleeding again and have not stopped as of yet, I have lots of pain in lower back, hips and lower abdomen down to my knees; I've been having headaches almost daily.

Comment from: lc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had my menstruation 2nd week of this month for 7 days (usually 4 days only). Then this last week again bleeding started with spotting. I had negative pregnancy test. No pain felt, but I have body weakness and chilly sensation because of endometriosis.

Endometriosis - Treatments Question: Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.
Endometriosis: Diet Question: Please share your experience with the endometriosis diet?