Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Published: June 04

I will have rectal pain that comes shortly after a period is done like one-four days after a period. It comes on suddenly, severe rectal pressure/pain. It lasts for 45 minutes to one hour; I take 600mg. of ibuprofen and do slow deep breathing lying on my side in bed.

Published: May 27

Severe abdominal pain. It kept getting worse with each cycle. Finally, I ended up with a small bowel obstruction from it and had to have my bowel resected. I wish that someone could have diagnosed me years ago. I am finally getting a hysterectomy next month. My OB wants to leave one ovary.

Published: May 27

Constant pelvic pain. As though I am experiencing a bad period everyday without bleeding. I feel feverish. I have gained almost 10 pounds since Christmas. Muscle and body aches without doing anything extremely physical. I am used to walking at least 16-20 miles a week. My last walk I didn't think I could make it home I was so exhausted.

Published: May 23

During my period I began to have severe rectal pain accompanied by & an urgent feeling to have a bowel movement (sometimes I would (have a bm) other times not. It just started one month, BAM! There was nothing gradual about the onset. I can control this by taking Imodium, however I'm having different or new abdominal feelings/pains not during my menstrual cycle & I wonder if its endometriosis.

Published: May 23

Hello everyone. I have seen at least over 13 doctors and only one actually diagnosed me with endometriosis this year about three months ago. I have had irregular heavy painful cycles since i started having my cycle at the age of 11. I noticed that I would bleed for a time period of two to three weeks. Sometimes I would spot between cycles so I didn't really know when I was actually on my cycle. After I would have sexual intercourse I would the worst pain and bleeding you could ever imagine. Over time this condition got worse so I decided to take birth control pills to help me have regular periods and lesson the bleeding. I would only have about four cycles year. I had noticed when I tried to take birth control pills that I would bleed longer than I would without it. Then I started seeing tissue and the blood turned a very very dark color. I would have cramps and pain but not as bad as it was when I was between the age of 11 to 16. I have been bleeding every day since 1/23/08

Published: May 23

I experience the most agonizing abdominal pain, to the point that I cannot stand up straight. I have constant back pain, and the inability to have a bowel movement during my period. I have suffered on and off for over twelve years now. With various treatments, medications, laparoscopies, nasal sprays, and still I have not found a cure.

Endometriosis - Treatments Question: Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.