Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Comment from: LaLa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have had painful periods for years but just recently they have been really bad. I have been in and out of emergency with this pain all the time. They sent me for a laparoscopy and found endometriosis. I had two adhesions removed. My mom had this too. I am asking for a hysterectomy. I can't live with this pain anymore.

Comment from: Junetoosoon, 45-54 Female Published: February 13

Very bad cramps before and feuding periods.

Published: July 18

I am 23 years old and have always had excruciating periods. I usually am incapacitated for the first 3 days of my period and bleed heavily. In between periods, it's lots of lower back pain and some cramping. My doctor's have put me on so many birth controls that my body is so messed up and the cramps are still unbearable. They finally referred me to a specialist and I'm really afraid that it's endometriosis. I really want children someday and it scares me to think I may be infertile and if this is the cause of my pain.

Published: July 14

I have endometriosis on my lungs kidneys bladder blower and now my liver is swollen the pain is so bad my doctor thinks that the endometriosis could be on my liver. I cough up blood too, can you tell me if you have heard of endometriosis on the liver and if you have heard of any thing that would help.

Published: July 14

I always had really bad periods, heavy and painful even as an adolescent. Everyone told me that it was just nature and nothing to be concerned with---be tough was the message. I lived with endometriosis until I was 45 years old. The pain I had was excruciating in my pelvis area and bleeding non-stop. I also became unable to bend and move very well. It turned out that I had Stage IV endometriosis--uterus, tubes, ovaries and appendix removed. Also, my ureter was resectioned and implants removed from my small intestine. It's been a year and a half and I have no symptoms at all. I guess it wasn't "all in my head"! Have any of you heard this from others?

Published: July 10

At the age of 14, I awoke being hunched over and in great pain. I was rushed the to the hospital and later found out that I had cysts in both ovaries, as the years passed, I had 3 ultrasounds, the first showing I had cysts in both ovaries, the second showing I had cysts in only my right ovary, I am now 18 and received my last ultrasound a few days ago and it showed I was free of any cysts, but why was I still having extreme sharp pains in my right ovary? My doctor says it could be endometriosis. This would explain a lot: my lower back pain, the feeling of IBS, the stabbing pains around my cycles, and the stinging when I urinate. It has been 4 years of pain, I hope it gets better.

Published: July 07

My symptoms actually started with constipation. I was getting constipated all of the time and the medicines weren't working. I was sent to a gastrologist and had some procedures done. They found nothing. At this point my lower stomach started hurting so much that I couldn't run, jump, anything extra. It even hurt to just sit. I also could not stand to have anything touch my stomach. I was always pulling my pants or underwear away from me. It was worse than when I was pregnant. Finally my doctor said I should see my OBGYN. He knew it was endometriosis. I had the surgery and was fine afterward. All of the symptoms ended. It has been about two years and I'm getting the symptoms back again. My periods have been getting farther and farther apart, and I'm getting constipated a lot again. I haven't had a period in over two months now and I'm not pregnant. I feel so blotted and tender. I haven't made my appointment yet but I am worried he will want me to get a hysterectomy this time. I'm not ready for that yet; I'm only 31.

Published: July 07

I'm 19 years old. For the past 3 months I have had lower abdominal pain. It comes and goes but occurs every day. I had an episode of pain one night but I didn't have the money to go to the emergency room at the time. I'm seeing specialists but they still can't seem to figure out what is wrong with me. The last doctor I went to said it could be endometriosis. I just contracted a bladder/ yeast infection on top of the abdominal pain and the pain worsens during menstrual cycles. For the first month and a half i was constipated as well. I really can't wait to be a parent and Ii want a big family but this worries me a great deal. Do you think I really have this? What else can I do if the CT scan comes up negative? What if the laparoscopy comes back negative? What then? I'm not scared I just want to have children and the pain to subside.

Endometriosis - Treatments Question: Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.