Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Comment from: priya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I am 25 years and I have a girl child of 2 years through cesarean but now since 1 year I am having a drip of blood from scars. I consulted my doctor who told me that I have an endometriosis problem.

Comment from: kiwichick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 31, after my third child 5 years ago I started getting weird pains and symptoms. The days leading up to my period I would have massive mood swings, not be able to have a bowel motion and the pain got really intense right up until the second the bleeding started, and then all would be fine. I had scans and they found no cysts. I was put on contraceptive pill to try help with pain. This worked for a few months and now I can still feel the pressure building every month (so to speak) and I have to let my body bleed, if I keep taking the pills it will bleed slowly until I stop them for a few days. But once I stop taking the pills I get huge migraine headaches, breast pain (just one side) and a lot of abdominal pain, front and back. Even now while I'm taking the pills I get nauseous and am fatigued all the time. Intercourse is extremely painful and afterwards I get dizzy, nauseous and the pain lasts for days. I am on the waiting list to see gynecologist, hoping they'll be able to do something. I hate living on painkillers.

Comment from: Resp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My symptoms of endometriosis were pelvic pain, low back pain, fatigue, and aching joints.

Comment from: jamey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had a cyst rupture on my left ovary 8 weeks ago and I fainted 3 times. Now I have a new cyst on my right ovary that my gynecologist says is small and I am ok, but I'm in pain every day. Pain radiates to my back and up to my chest and head, causing migraines all day. I know it is endometriosis so I made an appointment with a new gynecologist. Hoping in the meantime I don't die because it can kill you.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm 32 and been having issues for a few months now, since I came off the pill due to bad mood swings and generally making me feel down all the time. Since I've done this I've been fine! I started getting pains so bad in my abdomen, sides and back and headache. I've had 3 ultra sounds to rule out appendicitis and cysts on my ovaries. I have noticed a pattern that it starts after my period when ovulating. The pain is horrid and I find it hurts after I urinate or add any kind of pressure to the muscles then relax them. Even my breasts start to hurt and after sex it is painful and I sometimes feel sick and dizzy.

Comment from: K, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 21 years old. I had a 7cm cyst on my ovary when I was 17 years old and have since then experienced painful periods and ongoing issues with cysts. About a year ago I spoke with my doctor about the pain I was experiencing and how it got worse. It was painful to have sex, I noticed if I had any gas or had any urine in my bladder the pain was worse and she asked me to see another doctor. The new doctor told me that I have endometriosis. Recently my pain has gotten worse and my periods last longer, sometimes 2-3 weeks or 1 week on then off and on again. I started experiencing large blood clots in my period. They say the average size is about a quarter inch or so, mine have been upwards of 6 to 7 inches. I fear for more surgeries and the possibility of not being able to have children of my own. I am ok with adopting it's something I've always wanted to do. I hope that doctors can find something to end endometriosis for good and that more word and information on the topic is given to young women.

Published: July 16

I am a 26 yr old women who just had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed! When the doctor took it out she said it should have been done years ago she said she did not want to take the right one if we didn't have to because I am so young. That was 3 weeks ago today and the pain on the right side it so bad that I know I have to call and go back. I always knew that I wanted to adopt but the realization that I may never be able to have children is terrifying to me. I suffer from depression and anxiety to begin with and I just don't know how do process and deal with this.

Endometriosis - Treatments Question: Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.
Endometriosis: Diet Question: Please share your experience with the endometriosis diet?