Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Comment from: sherry241975, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a hysterectomy when I was 26 due to endometriosis. It was great and pain free for 13 years. I left the right ovary in for my hormones. I am now back with constipation and pain again and am having my last ovary removed in April. If I had it to do over again I would have made the same choice. My doctor wants me to do the Depot Lupron shots but after reading all the side effects I'm opting for surgery.

Comment from: K, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 21 years old. I had a 7cm cyst on my ovary when I was 17 years old and have since then experienced painful periods and ongoing issues with cysts. About a year ago I spoke with my doctor about the pain I was experiencing and how it got worse. It was painful to have sex, I noticed if I had any gas or had any urine in my bladder the pain was worse and she asked me to see another doctor. The new doctor told me that I have endometriosis. Recently my pain has gotten worse and my periods last longer, sometimes 2-3 weeks or 1 week on then off and on again. I started experiencing large blood clots in my period. They say the average size is about a quarter inch or so, mine have been upwards of 6 to 7 inches. I fear for more surgeries and the possibility of not being able to have children of my own. I am ok with adopting it's something I've always wanted to do. I hope that doctors can find something to end endometriosis for good and that more word and information on the topic is given to young women.

Published: July 16

I am a 26 yr old women who just had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed! When the doctor took it out she said it should have been done years ago she said she did not want to take the right one if we didn't have to because I am so young. That was 3 weeks ago today and the pain on the right side it so bad that I know I have to call and go back. I always knew that I wanted to adopt but the realization that I may never be able to have children is terrifying to me. I suffer from depression and anxiety to begin with and I just don't know how do process and deal with this.

Comment from: KT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with endometriosis in my early 30s and have been on continual oral contraception to control the symptoms. This has worked great for 10 years in controlling the pain and symptoms I had around the time of my period; however I now have lesions on my liver which are associated with long-term contraceptive use. Be aware of this potential side-effect. So far the lesions are benign but the size is being monitored and I am not sure how they will affect my health in my senior years.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been diagnosed with endometriosis at the age of 22. I suffered horrible stabbing like pains in my stomach. Intercourse was very painful and I was always sick. I missed work a lot. At 23 I decided to have surgery (laparoscopy); best thing I could have ever done. I feel so much better. I am 27 now and the regrowth has started again which I"m so upset about. My ultimate fear is not being able to conceive as the doctors have told me. It"s hard to stay strong. Fear always takes over.

Published: July 16

I have had two surgeries within 2 years apart due to endometriosis and it seems to keep coming back. My symptoms were chronic pain in my stomach, irregular menstruation periods, pain after sex, the feeling of vomiting everything I eat. It is a pain that I can no longer bare. There are days where I am stuck in a bent over position because the pain is so bad that I cannot stand straight up or walk for that matter.

Published: June 27

I experience the worst pain during and after intimacy the pain is sharp and deep I can feel it in my abdomen in my lower back and sometimes in my rectum. From there the pain shoots up and I can not walk I end of in the fetal position for hours until the pain subsides enough for me to move. I have had a fibroid removed 8 months ago and these pains have gotten worse since. I am in the process of speaking with my Doctor about my options. I am 30 years old and this is affecting my love live I have to avoid or turn down sex in fear of the onset of pain that will follow if I do engage myself.

Endometriosis - Treatments Question: Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.