Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: kiki12, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am 38 years old, I was diagnosed with endometriosis at the age of 21, and told I would never have children. Three laparoscopies and one laporotomy later my o.b. at the time said he didn't know what else to do for me. I researched and found an endometriosis center that performed my surgery, after seven years of infertility and the physical and psychological pain associated with infertility and endometriosis, I became pregnant. I did have three miscarriages before we figured out I needed progesterone. I now have 4 beautiful daughters.

Comment from: Laciep19, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am 19 years old, I just had my surgery may 10th of 2011, I found out I have endometriosis. The doctor told me that once I have as many kids as I want, that he wants to take my cervix and uterus out. Finding out something like this at 19 is a huge shock.

Comment from: angiem, 45-54 Female Published: April 28

I had excruciating pain from the time I started my menstruation. I was always sick and never well. No one could diagnose a cause. I did have one child at age 20. The pain the bleeding. The infections and the sickness were so severe and debilitating and I vomited all the time because of it. I was diagnosed about age 23 with endometriosis. Laparoscopy was done to do laser surgery. However, it was so severe he closed me up and put me on danocrine. Which was so expensive I couldn't afford it after I lost my insurance. I couldn't walk, had bladder, kidney, urinary tract infections constantly. Then liver damage due to pain pills. I was tested for Lupus due to all the illnesses I had. But it was inactive. Eleven years later I had another child and then went on depo provera. What a miracle. No more infections. No more pain. I am never sick and rarely even a cold. I just heard that because the body is always fighting against the implanted tissue endometriosis could cause an auto immune disease. I have been pain free and sickness free for almost thirteen years.

Comment from: jmarisk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have always had severe menstrual cramps. I can remember passing out from the pain in high school, but still my doctors have never taken my plead for relief seriously. I am 26 and hoping to start a family soon. But I am terrified that endometriosis will cause me to be infertile. I have started working out and have noticed a change in my monthly pattern. My period is more regular; however, I experience severe constipations a week before and a week after my period. About 3-5 before my period starts I feel like I'm having a UTI and then get severe lower back pain. I've gone to the ER for the pain, thinking I had a kidney infection but no infection was detected and nothing came up on the CT scan. Doctors are looking at me like I'm a crying wolf! Before I started working out, I would feel several abdominal cramps for 2 weeks leading up to my period, plus all that other stuff I just described. Now, I only have 1 or 2 days of pain at the beginning of my period but don't expect me to be much good to anybody on those days as I'm usually in the fetal position somewhere. Fatigue is terrible. I have a history of blood clots so I am not a good canidate for hormone therapy. Surgery would be risky too. But I want to have a baby! There has got to be a way...

Comment from: yorkie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 41 and have had endometriosis for around 5 years, however I had the same pain around 20 years ago and did not realize it was endometriosis. The last 5 years it has gotten worse, I went in and had surgery and my doctor removed cysts from my bowels and uterus and put me on the depo shot all of the pain was gone, however I have quit the shot since then as I did not like side effects, but now I only have the pain right before period.

Comment from: Sandhow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed with endometriosis about 3 weeks ago. It was discovered during surgery for the removal of uterine fibroids and a dermoid cyst. My periods have always been heavy, lasting about a week and very, very painful. Sometimes the pain in my lower right abdomen would be so severe I can't even stand or walk. I thought the surgery would prevent the pain but now I'm days away from my cycle and I fear it was the endometriosis all along. My doctor has prescribed lupron injections to help with the disease but the side effects scare me so bad. I'm not sure what I will do at this point.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.