Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: stephy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 7 years after my first son was born. Sometimes the pain is excruciating. Even having sex with my husband is sometimes too much. The doctor suggested I start off on the Pill. However it gave me migraines and made me fat. I have learned to live with it. Sometimes it's so bad I have to go to the hospital. Other times I just bear it. Pain killers help at times.

Comment from: Shrop1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had endometriosis for years. I am 48, and within the last three months, my abdominal pain has been very bothersome. I have had painful periods since I was a teenager and took fertility drugs to get pregnant. (I had two kids.) I had a colonoscopy performed recently, and they didn't find anything. I had some adhesions removed about six years ago, and that really didn't help. I have tried birth control pills and Depo and got nothing out of it.

Comment from: lissa, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have endometriosis and the pain is unbearable! It hurts to walk sometimes. Most of my cycle, I'm usually curled up in the bed or on the couch. I have a lot of swelling and tenderness in the lower part of my abdomen and close to the vaginal area. I had the lap done almost two years ago and I'm not sure if I should go have another one. My doctor has put me on so many different birth control pills, but it seems as if I always have some sort of side effect to them. I am 27 years old. I do not have children. I am a little nervous about waiting too much longer to start a family. My gynecologist seems as if he knows what he is talking about, but to him, he acts as if it's not a big deal. I'm thinking of getting a second opinion. All I know is the pain in my legs, back, and stomach is driving me insane, and it makes me very irritable. I get terrible migraines every month, and it is definitely painful during intercourse and pelvic exams.

Comment from: Jodie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 30 with MS and Graves Disease. I also had a stroke at the age of two years. Approximately 6 months ago, I started to have extremely heavy periods and debilitating abdominal and back pain. After numerous different doctors and two ultra sounds, two cysts were discovered on my left ovary. As I was in extreme pain, a laparoscopy was preformed and it was discovered that I have endometriosis. Even after the surgery, I am still in extreme pain.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am 41 years old and a mother of three. The difference of my last son is 8.5 years from my second-born. One year after the birth of my youngest son, I got my right ovary removed, as there was a cyst as big as the size of an orange on it. My doctor tried to drain it first though an ultrasound-guided needle, which did not work because the liquid in it was very thick. On the biopsy we found out that it was an endometriosis cyst and not cancerous. Now, after five years, I got myself an ultrasound that showed an endometriosis cyst 8.1 by 7.5 by 7.1 centimeters. My doctor suggested I take Danazol (200 mg) three times a day. I have heard about the side effects, which are irreversible.

Comment from: kt88, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I am 22 years old and got diagnosed with endometriosis three years ago. I also had a PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) at the same time. I've always had unbearable painful cramps, and very heavy periods. I went in for outpatient surgery three years ago and had a laparoscopy done to clear out some of my infection. The endometriosis is blocking my right fallopian tube, making it hard to have kids one day. I am not on any birth control and am sexually active. I have never gotten pregnant, and am still having very painful periods every month. My doctor told me it was going to be difficult for me to have kids one day because of my conditions. I hope surgery will allow me to conceive.

Comment from: wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am somewhat cynical of the laser/lap procedure. I would have had 15 - 20 of them in my years prior to menopause. The improvement from pain would last 6 weeks or so and then back to how it was. I also had microsurgery on my tubes etc - very painful after and it did nothing to make me fertile! Then there's the problem of adhesions from the incisions for the laparoscopy which can cause problems later. I advise caution with surgery of any kind. I am happy to speak further of my experiences. Menopause is a joy for endometriosis sufferers as myself!

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.