Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: Kay, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My wife has been sick over a year now with very similar symptoms. Initially the doctors said she couldn't have it because she was on birth control at the time. The pain all started a month after she had a laperoscopy on an ovarian cyst.

Comment from: Dora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I am 36 and just recently found out this is what has been causing my pain. I had a son when I was 24 and another when I was 29. It took years of trying though before I became pregnant. At the time I didn't think to see if there was a reason why. They went in October to remove mine and I started having the pain again 6 weeks later. So since I didn't plan on having anymore kids in January I am having a hysterectomy. Since it came back so fast the doctor thinks this is my best option.

Comment from: corey0524, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 15. I am now 30 and have had eight surgeries. I have been on three sets of Lupron injections, and taken countless pills and nothing has worked. I was constantly in pain. My last surgery spreads to my intestines, colon, cervix. Through a miracle I was able to have a baby, so I thought everything would get better. Nope! I was back in the hospital for another surgery a year after my son. I am still in constant pain and I guess I just learn to deal with it. I just wish the doctor would give me a hysterectomy already. I don't know what they are waiting for!

Comment from: KikiLolo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 22 years old and I've just been diagnosed with Endometriosis today. For the past 3 years, I have been suffering with the pain and have been bleeding for 3 - 6 months at a time for the whole 3 years. I've been through multiple doctors and they've just given me pain medications (that really didn't help) and birth control, which they multiplied by 5. So I was taking 5 birth control pills a day and lowered the dose until I started bleeding again, in which I was told to up the dosage. Then I came to a new doctor who finially diagnosed me and so far, she's put the Merina Y Shaped thing in my cervix to stop the bleeding and it's finally slowing down...I'm able to go out of my house after being trapped in my house for almost 4 months of pain and bleeding. Next step is to clear out my insides, D&C? I think is the term and then a hysterectomy. They're trying everything in their power to avoid that due to me being so young, but I have 3 kids and have been told multiple times I could not get pregnant...Just thought I'd share some hope that having kids is still possible. I did have to get induced with my 3rd son who is 9 months old now because I started with the pain/bleeding and have been bleeding/in pain since then!

Comment from: stephy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 7 years after my first son was born. Sometimes the pain is excruciating. Even having sex with my husband is sometimes too much. The doctor suggested I start off on the Pill. However it gave me migraines and made me fat. I have learned to live with it. Sometimes it's so bad I have to go to the hospital. Other times I just bear it. Pain killers help at times.

Comment from: Shrop1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had endometriosis for years. I am 48, and within the last three months, my abdominal pain has been very bothersome. I have had painful periods since I was a teenager and took fertility drugs to get pregnant. (I had two kids.) I had a colonoscopy performed recently, and they didn't find anything. I had some adhesions removed about six years ago, and that really didn't help. I have tried birth control pills and Depo and got nothing out of it.

Comment from: lissa, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have endometriosis and the pain is unbearable! It hurts to walk sometimes. Most of my cycle, I'm usually curled up in the bed or on the couch. I have a lot of swelling and tenderness in the lower part of my abdomen and close to the vaginal area. I had the lap done almost two years ago and I'm not sure if I should go have another one. My doctor has put me on so many different birth control pills, but it seems as if I always have some sort of side effect to them. I am 27 years old. I do not have children. I am a little nervous about waiting too much longer to start a family. My gynecologist seems as if he knows what he is talking about, but to him, he acts as if it's not a big deal. I'm thinking of getting a second opinion. All I know is the pain in my legs, back, and stomach is driving me insane, and it makes me very irritable. I get terrible migraines every month, and it is definitely painful during intercourse and pelvic exams.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.
Endometriosis: Diet Question: Please share your experience with the endometriosis diet?