Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: Sambelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I will be having my second surgery today for my endometriosis. I had the first three years ago. I've also been on the Lupron injection for six months following my first surgery (menopause is not fun). I am hoping this time with help I'll be able to have children. I am 34 years old. I have a twin sister with endometriosis also and she was told by our doctor that she would not have kids again. But she gave birth to my nephew three months ago. This gives me hope.

Comment from: Betsy, Female Published: February 06

I am now in my 60's . I want to share my story so all that reads these stories is not so discouraged about fertility. I had wide spread endometriosis is my early 20's. I had all the endometriosis removed that they found and also had several large cysts removed from my ovaries and part of the ovaries removed. I got married 2 years later and had our first baby 4 years after. I was always afraid I could not have children, we now have 3. Do not dwell on this fear, have hope.

Comment from: Kay, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My wife has been sick over a year now with very similar symptoms. Initially the doctors said she couldn't have it because she was on birth control at the time. The pain all started a month after she had a laperoscopy on an ovarian cyst.

Comment from: Dora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I am 36 and just recently found out this is what has been causing my pain. I had a son when I was 24 and another when I was 29. It took years of trying though before I became pregnant. At the time I didn't think to see if there was a reason why. They went in October to remove mine and I started having the pain again 6 weeks later. So since I didn't plan on having anymore kids in January I am having a hysterectomy. Since it came back so fast the doctor thinks this is my best option.

Comment from: corey0524, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 15. I am now 30 and have had eight surgeries. I have been on three sets of Lupron injections, and taken countless pills and nothing has worked. I was constantly in pain. My last surgery spreads to my intestines, colon, cervix. Through a miracle I was able to have a baby, so I thought everything would get better. Nope! I was back in the hospital for another surgery a year after my son. I am still in constant pain and I guess I just learn to deal with it. I just wish the doctor would give me a hysterectomy already. I don't know what they are waiting for!

Comment from: Cbourne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 30 years old now and I was diagnosed when I was 17. In the past two years after I had the laparoscopy done, the pain has just gotten worse. The other night the pain was so horrendous that I almost went to the hospital but had no idea what they would even be able to do. All my doctor says is to take my pain pills but they do nothing because the only surgery he tells me about is one that would only give me a less than 5% chance of having any more children.

Comment from: KikiLolo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 22 years old and I've just been diagnosed with Endometriosis today. For the past 3 years, I have been suffering with the pain and have been bleeding for 3 - 6 months at a time for the whole 3 years. I've been through multiple doctors and they've just given me pain medications (that really didn't help) and birth control, which they multiplied by 5. So I was taking 5 birth control pills a day and lowered the dose until I started bleeding again, in which I was told to up the dosage. Then I came to a new doctor who finially diagnosed me and so far, she's put the Merina Y Shaped thing in my cervix to stop the bleeding and it's finally slowing down...I'm able to go out of my house after being trapped in my house for almost 4 months of pain and bleeding. Next step is to clear out my insides, D&C? I think is the term and then a hysterectomy. They're trying everything in their power to avoid that due to me being so young, but I have 3 kids and have been told multiple times I could not get pregnant...Just thought I'd share some hope that having kids is still possible. I did have to get induced with my 3rd son who is 9 months old now because I started with the pain/bleeding and have been bleeding/in pain since then!

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.