Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: baby's moma, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

To let all of you out there with this horrible disease I know, get it seen about now. My daughter, who just turned 28 is right now in the hospital. She had emergency surgery on Monday night, the 17th because endometriosis implanted on her intestines and it caused a blockage. They had to remove a part of her intestines. My daughter almost died. She didn't even know she had this until the reports can back on the pencil eraser sized implant they removed off her intestines. Her symptoms were pain in back, stomach, migraine headaches, painful periods and vomiting, nauseated after eating or sometimes not even eating. It got to the point she could not keep anything down, solids or liquids. The doctor told us this is life-threatening. So please if you have a question as to whether you have this or not, get to a doctor. If we had waited 24 hours my daughter would not have made it.

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Hello, my name is maria , from phillippines, anyway I've been having this problem since i turn 48 year old, heavy bleeding of my period for a month, then i went to the doctor and consul my problem regarding this i have made a ultrasound to find out what went wrong till they told me that i have this endotrium /d/c case i was so afraid and worry, after finding out my case they suggested to take a injection to hold on or stop my period for 3 months but then spotting was still continue until now this is not spotting anymore it continue and still heavy bleeding, I wanted to have the operation of getting out my ovary for stopping it I don't know I am confuse of what is happening to me.

Comment from: jjsthebest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I just got diagnosed with endometriosis at age 44. I had my first baby at age 35. We tried for another baby when I was 37 and I suffered a near fatal ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy) and I lost the tube on my right side as it ruptured. We did have our second and last baby when I had just turned 40. It took us longer to get pregnant that time. Of course, I was almost 40 and only had one tube. After the second baby, I had my other tube tied. Was having a lot of bleeding during period, so my doctor put in an IUD. It helped a lot with bleeding. Then, started in Sept. 2012 with severe pain on right side. Had large cyst (8cm) on right ovary, found via ultrasound. Took birth control pills and cyst shrunk but did go away and pain continued. Surgery December 2012 to drain cyst. Felt better briefly then pain came back. Diagnosed with another cyst right ovary early 2013. Decided to remove right ovary July 2013. Biopsy of ovary showed endometriosis. Doctor said that explained why I had the tubal pregnancy right side years before. Unfortunately I am still having pain on right side. Hoping still recovering from surgery, but doctor says may be endometriosis elsewhere in muscles, etc. and I may continue to have pain. Could take hormones to help. I would rather not, just taking it day by day at this point and hoping won't have to take hormones. Tired of constant pain. Also concerned about my two little girls eventually "inheriting" endometriosis. But, very thankful it did not affect my fertility and I was able to have 2 children.

Comment from: patienceturner, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had endo for about 6 years now I am 34. I am about to go have another laparoscopy as a last result. I have tried every birth control pill except the depo lupron shot to no avail. The depo shot would put me into a menopausal state, and after much research, have decided that I would rather undergo surgery again than go through 6 months of hell with no guarantee of pain relief. The endo has reached my bladder and I am in a constant state of having a UTI and I cannot handle it anymore. If this surgery does not work, I will opt for the hysterectomy and deal with the fact that children are not in the cards for me.

Comment from: Gazzelle 431, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but endometriosis is very serious. After having a hysterectomy in 1997 at the age of 46, everything was taken out except one ovary. My gynecologist's feeling was that I was in menopause so it wasn't a big deal. After 10 years and nearly two death experiences later, I realized something was terribly wrong. No doctor would operate. It was only after asking for elective surgery to remove my remaining ovary that they found how badly endometriosis had destroyed my pelvis area. I read an article from a medical center study that said if anything is left after a hysterectomy (like ovaries), cells can take on a life of their own and begin to grow throughout your pelvic area. In 2007, I needed surgery for my appendix. My bladder and colon were fused together and “fell” into my vaginal area. I had a hole in my peritoneum. An infection flared up into my gastric area. I never had anything wrong with me except for endometriosis, which caused me my worse pain and almost my life twice. Now at 62, I hope it is all behind me. Women need to push for more research on this, along with interventions.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.
Endometriosis: Diet Question: Please share your experience with the endometriosis diet?