Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: Frustrated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a hysterectomy just 7 months ago. I still have my ovaries because I am only 40. I had only 3 spots of endometriosis, two of which were removed and my doctor said the one was outside of my uterus, along the uterine wall I think. Therefore, my cramping my not go away. At first, I felt better but over the past couple of months the pain has been getting increasingly worse. I am waiting to see if the surgery was unsuccessful or if my pain is from new adhesions.

Comment from: 13-18 (Caregiver) Published: June 15

have a 14 year old daughter that started having buckling pain in January 2011 we have been to doctors, specialists, had MRI's CT scans ultra sounds, been to gastroenterology doctor had a Barium enema and a endoscopy (no colonoscopy). She had her gall bladder removed due to small gall stones which were causing pancreatitis, after the surgery she had gastritis she has been constipated since she was born nothing seemed to work for that. GI doc said all tests were normal, we took her to a gynecologist and had a pelvic exam which the doctor couldn't finish because the pain was so bad for her the doc is now sending her to get a vaginal ultrasound she is going to medicate my girl with xanax (at my request) to try and relax her so she can have it done my poor baby suffers from pain and may not be able to have children ever praying for an answer she's been in pain for 6 months praying that we get an answer and a solution too. She will be 15 in august and says she never wants to have sex because of the pain.

Comment from: Sam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 26 years old and I have a 4 year old daughter. I was operated upon for an ectopic pregnancy. My left tube was cut off and the doctors advised me to try getting pregnant within the next 6months. I succeeded 2 years after. Almost 2 years after my baby was born, I started experiencing very serious pre-menstrual cramps. It grew worse during the years and the doctor said it was the appendix. That too was taken care of yet the pain grew even worse. The left tube was removed during the first operation but I feel the pain on the right, on the lower part of my abdomen. I have visited as many doctors as possible and been under all kinds of medications and pain killers yet no success. Right now am on Profenid which I insert through the rectum but I feel it is almost losing its ability to help me through the pain. I want to have another child and that doesn't seem to be happening. The doctors after all examinations and surgeries do not even know the name of this extreme pain. 2 weeks of every month is taken away by pain. I hardly go to school and I can't be there for my kid and my husband like I would love to. I am a student nurse. The doctors all say it's menstrual cramps. Almost all the signs and symptoms of endometriosis, I experience them. I am in Cameroon and the drugs I have seen on this site are hardly found here.

Comment from: Road to Recovery, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Do not be deterred by scary blogs. There are effective treatments for endometriosis! I am 26 and was finally diagnosed with Endometriosis a few months ago after years of treating all the painful symptoms separately. If you have any abnormal bodily functions talk with your doctor (constant back ache, severe cramps, hip/leg/pelvic pain, constipation/diarrhea, etc.). After ultrasounds and emergency surgery to remove a painful cyst I was diagnosed with severe Endometriosis (determined with laparoscopic pictures). I am on the depot-lupren shot for 6 months and have already noticed decreased pelvic pain in the last 3-4 weeks (and thankfully no period since, early menopause sucks but there's less pain so it's worth it). After years of battling pain there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm nervous I might not be able to have kids but they have encouraged us to try before any further surgeries. While this has been the most painful experience of my life I have had so much support from family and friends. Online information has helped me understand this issue as well. This experience has encouraged my friends to talk with their doctors about any possible concerns so please don't hesitate to get tested and receive help, don't "wait for it to go away on its own."

Comment from: baby's moma, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

To let all of you out there with this horrible disease I know, get it seen about now. My daughter, who just turned 28 is right now in the hospital. She had emergency surgery on Monday night, the 17th because endometriosis implanted on her intestines and it caused a blockage. They had to remove a part of her intestines. My daughter almost died. She didn't even know she had this until the reports can back on the pencil eraser sized implant they removed off her intestines. Her symptoms were pain in back, stomach, migraine headaches, painful periods and vomiting, nauseated after eating or sometimes not even eating. It got to the point she could not keep anything down, solids or liquids. The doctor told us this is life-threatening. So please if you have a question as to whether you have this or not, get to a doctor. If we had waited 24 hours my daughter would not have made it.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.