Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: endogirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

When I was about 14, I was diagnosed with endometriosis. Before the doctor realized I had it, I dealt with very long, heavy, and painful periods. I am now 18 and even 4 years later I am still dealing with the pain from it. I have had surgery, different types of birth control, and this is the second time I'm on the Lupron Depot shots. I can't have sex. When pain is bad, I curl up in a ball and cry even after pain pills. Sometimes it even hurts to stand. I am going to discuss a hysterectomy soon but it is my last resort.

Comment from: nikcho, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 35 year old woman. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 20 years old, after going to my family doctor since I was 16 telling him about the pain, I demanded to see a specialist. After one visit with the specialist, he diagnosed me. I was in for surgery the following week. He wanted to give me a hysterectomy then but because of my age did not. He put me on the pill and my symptoms went away. A couple years later it came back, and I dealt with it until I was 30, I had the surgery again, and again they did not want to give me a hysterectomy because I had no children. This time when they put me on the pill it didn't help, now at the age of 35 and still no kids I'm a phone call away from asking for a hysterectomy. The pain is so unbearable, I cannot take it anymore. Its ruining my life and it gets worse every month. The first day of my period is the worst!! It wakes me up from sleep and last for 2 days. It's so bad that I'm constantly crying.

Comment from: Frustrated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a hysterectomy just 7 months ago. I still have my ovaries because I am only 40. I had only 3 spots of endometriosis, two of which were removed and my doctor said the one was outside of my uterus, along the uterine wall I think. Therefore, my cramping my not go away. At first, I felt better but over the past couple of months the pain has been getting increasingly worse. I am waiting to see if the surgery was unsuccessful or if my pain is from new adhesions.

Comment from: 13-18 (Caregiver) Published: June 15

have a 14 year old daughter that started having buckling pain in January 2011 we have been to doctors, specialists, had MRI's CT scans ultra sounds, been to gastroenterology doctor had a Barium enema and a endoscopy (no colonoscopy). She had her gall bladder removed due to small gall stones which were causing pancreatitis, after the surgery she had gastritis she has been constipated since she was born nothing seemed to work for that. GI doc said all tests were normal, we took her to a gynecologist and had a pelvic exam which the doctor couldn't finish because the pain was so bad for her the doc is now sending her to get a vaginal ultrasound she is going to medicate my girl with xanax (at my request) to try and relax her so she can have it done my poor baby suffers from pain and may not be able to have children ever praying for an answer she's been in pain for 6 months praying that we get an answer and a solution too. She will be 15 in august and says she never wants to have sex because of the pain.

Comment from: Road to Recovery, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Do not be deterred by scary blogs. There are effective treatments for endometriosis! I am 26 and was finally diagnosed with Endometriosis a few months ago after years of treating all the painful symptoms separately. If you have any abnormal bodily functions talk with your doctor (constant back ache, severe cramps, hip/leg/pelvic pain, constipation/diarrhea, etc.). After ultrasounds and emergency surgery to remove a painful cyst I was diagnosed with severe Endometriosis (determined with laparoscopic pictures). I am on the depot-lupren shot for 6 months and have already noticed decreased pelvic pain in the last 3-4 weeks (and thankfully no period since, early menopause sucks but there's less pain so it's worth it). After years of battling pain there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm nervous I might not be able to have kids but they have encouraged us to try before any further surgeries. While this has been the most painful experience of my life I have had so much support from family and friends. Online information has helped me understand this issue as well. This experience has encouraged my friends to talk with their doctors about any possible concerns so please don't hesitate to get tested and receive help, don't "wait for it to go away on its own."

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.
Endometriosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with endometriosis.
Endometriosis: Diet Question: Please share your experience with the endometriosis diet?