Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: katzfl, Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Be an advocate for your health! I was 38 years old when diagnosed with endometriosis, after years of dealing with pain. My doctor is awesome and it still took me saying in a nice way, that he wasn't doing his job, something was wrong with me! He listened and performed my first laparoscopy in October. I had a hysterectomy 2 months later. I'm sad to say that it's not been a year and the pain is back. This time it was my doctor who stated that he would be scheduling a laparoscopy so we can see what's going on. Only you know what is happening with your body-Listen to it! I pray for all with this disease.

Comment from: Is there hope????, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Was diagnosed in 2004. Had surgery in 2005. Was fine for 2 months until it started again. Now off and on the severity of it increases and decreases. I never know how it will affect me. It is so bad at times I have chest pains that take my breath away and the pain in my stomach feels like labor pains that are seconds apart. I also have swelling in my stomach that makes me look pregnant. The last episode, I got very dizzy, chest pains, and actually passed out as I made it from the bathroom to my bed. This has obviously attached itself to my stomach wall and now I have tenderness near my collar bone that was not there before.

Comment from: Nadine, 25-34 Female Published: October 11

I have always had irregular periods. I used to spot on occasion and get bad cramps, but as I got older (I'm 26) symptoms have gotten worse. Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, fever, sharp stomach pains, and lower back pain. I bled for 30 days in March, it was pretty heavy all days. (This started 15 days after my February period.) I was spotting every month. My periods are very heavy the first couple of days as well. Sometimes I'm doubled over in pain. It has been very painful for exams. I am a Virgin still, but I think it has to do with the lesions on my uterine walls. My first gyno prescribed me an ultrasound, which I had done, but they said there was nothing there. I knew there was something wrong, so I went to my friend's gyno who diagnosed me with endometriosis. She cleaned me out because my uterine lining was extremely thick. I don't spot anymore, and once I get better insurance, I'm going to get the shot treatments for endometriosis.

Comment from: Dani100279, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 32 and have moderate endometriosis that was diagnosed during laparoscopy for severe ovary pain. I am constantly constipated and my lower back hurts so bad. The worst was today in the middle of the night my uterus was spasming and the pain was so horrid I was about to call the emts to go to the hospital. I have an appt with my Gyno on Wednesday and I am going to push for the surgery as I can't take it anymore. He is being so conservative with my treatment but I can't take this pain anymore! I can't take hormones either because they make my mood horrid and I don't like how I feel. The Doc doesn't seem to listen to me and I am starting to get really frustrated at this point! I feel for you ladies and send vibes to all of you who suffer with this disease! Hugs!

Comment from: endogirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

When I was about 14, I was diagnosed with endometriosis. Before the doctor realized I had it, I dealt with very long, heavy, and painful periods. I am now 18 and even 4 years later I am still dealing with the pain from it. I have had surgery, different types of birth control, and this is the second time I'm on the Lupron Depot shots. I can't have sex. When pain is bad, I curl up in a ball and cry even after pain pills. Sometimes it even hurts to stand. I am going to discuss a hysterectomy soon but it is my last resort.

Comment from: nikcho, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 35 year old woman. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 20 years old, after going to my family doctor since I was 16 telling him about the pain, I demanded to see a specialist. After one visit with the specialist, he diagnosed me. I was in for surgery the following week. He wanted to give me a hysterectomy then but because of my age did not. He put me on the pill and my symptoms went away. A couple years later it came back, and I dealt with it until I was 30, I had the surgery again, and again they did not want to give me a hysterectomy because I had no children. This time when they put me on the pill it didn't help, now at the age of 35 and still no kids I'm a phone call away from asking for a hysterectomy. The pain is so unbearable, I cannot take it anymore. Its ruining my life and it gets worse every month. The first day of my period is the worst!! It wakes me up from sleep and last for 2 days. It's so bad that I'm constantly crying.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.