Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Treatments

Were there any effective treatments for your endometriosis?

Comment from: jjsthebest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I just got diagnosed with endometriosis at age 44. I had my first baby at age 35. We tried for another baby when I was 37 and I suffered a near fatal ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy) and I lost the tube on my right side as it ruptured. We did have our second and last baby when I had just turned 40. It took us longer to get pregnant that time. Of course, I was almost 40 and only had one tube. After the second baby, I had my other tube tied. Was having a lot of bleeding during period, so my doctor put in an IUD. It helped a lot with bleeding. Then, started in Sept. 2012 with severe pain on right side. Had large cyst (8cm) on right ovary, found via ultrasound. Took birth control pills and cyst shrunk but did go away and pain continued. Surgery December 2012 to drain cyst. Felt better briefly then pain came back. Diagnosed with another cyst right ovary early 2013. Decided to remove right ovary July 2013. Biopsy of ovary showed endometriosis. Doctor said that explained why I had the tubal pregnancy right side years before. Unfortunately I am still having pain on right side. Hoping still recovering from surgery, but doctor says may be endometriosis elsewhere in muscles, etc. and I may continue to have pain. Could take hormones to help. I would rather not, just taking it day by day at this point and hoping won't have to take hormones. Tired of constant pain. Also concerned about my two little girls eventually "inheriting" endometriosis. But, very thankful it did not affect my fertility and I was able to have 2 children.

Comment from: patienceturner, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had endo for about 6 years now I am 34. I am about to go have another laparoscopy as a last result. I have tried every birth control pill except the depo lupron shot to no avail. The depo shot would put me into a menopausal state, and after much research, have decided that I would rather undergo surgery again than go through 6 months of hell with no guarantee of pain relief. The endo has reached my bladder and I am in a constant state of having a UTI and I cannot handle it anymore. If this surgery does not work, I will opt for the hysterectomy and deal with the fact that children are not in the cards for me.

Comment from: Gazzelle 431, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but endometriosis is very serious. After having a hysterectomy in 1997 at the age of 46, everything was taken out except one ovary. My gynecologist's feeling was that I was in menopause so it wasn't a big deal. After 10 years and nearly two death experiences later, I realized something was terribly wrong. No doctor would operate. It was only after asking for elective surgery to remove my remaining ovary that they found how badly endometriosis had destroyed my pelvis area. I read an article from a medical center study that said if anything is left after a hysterectomy (like ovaries), cells can take on a life of their own and begin to grow throughout your pelvic area. In 2007, I needed surgery for my appendix. My bladder and colon were fused together and “fell” into my vaginal area. I had a hole in my peritoneum. An infection flared up into my gastric area. I never had anything wrong with me except for endometriosis, which caused me my worse pain and almost my life twice. Now at 62, I hope it is all behind me. Women need to push for more research on this, along with interventions.

Comment from: Mommy2be, Published: January 06

So a friend of mine has endometriosis and went through the hormonal treatments, she said her doctor told her she only has a few years to try to get pregnant before they do a hysterectomy. She really wants another baby but she hasn't gotten her period for months and it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen and she's very upset. I know absolutely nothing about endometriosis and it may sound silly but I don't quite understand everything I read about it, I'm assuming that since she hasn't gotten her period it has something to do with her eggs and I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to donate one of my eggs to her? I don't know anything about this and don't even know if that's the problem but I'd like to get an opinion about it before I talk to her about it cause I don't want her to be even more disappointed than she already is.

Comment from: momoftwins, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 33 and was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 18 and at that time I was put on birth control pills. The pills helped but when it came time for me to have kids I tried for 3 years to no avail. I had a laparoscopy and a laparotomy but neither surgery worked to help the pain or conceive. Fortunately, after one attempt of invetro I had twins! Yay! But after 5 years of not being on any birth control I am in severe pain again. I just started taking birth control pills again and I am not sure if it's the pills or what but the pain has gotten so much worse. I end up in bed for days at a time with severe cramps and I am now convinced I have fibroids as well. Oh and constipation to boot. And all the other junk that goes along with this disease that no one knows how to cure. My heart goes out to everyone suffering from this.

Endometriosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?
Endometriosis - Infertility Question: Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?
Endometriosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis.