Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines, and on the surface lining of the pelvic cavity. They also
can be found in the vagina, cervix, and bladder. Endometriosis may not produce any symptoms,
but when it does the most common symptom is pelvic pain that worsens just prior to menstruation and improves at the end of the menstrual period.
Other symptoms of endometriosis include:
- Pain during sex
- Pain with pelvic examinations
- Cramping or pain during bowel movements or urination
Treatment of endometriosis can be with medication or surgery.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...learn more »
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...learn more »
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Birth Control Pills (Oral Contraceptives)
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be:
Pain in the belly...learn more »
In This Article
Ovarian Cysts Article
- Ovarian cysts definition and facts
are the ovaries
and how big are they?
- What are ovarian cysts?
- What signs and symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?
- What are the symptoms of a ruptured ovarian cyst?
- What causes, and what are the types of ovarian cysts?
- Can ovarian cysts cause cancer?
- What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy?
- Can a woman get ovarian cysts during peri-, or postmenopause?
- How are ovarian cysts diagnosed?
- How can the physician decide if an ovarian cyst is dangerous?
- What is the treatment for ovarian cysts?
- What about surgery for ovarian cysts?
- Which specialties of doctors treat ovarian cysts?
- What is the prognosis for a woman with ovarian cysts?
- Can ovarian cysts be prevented?
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...learn more »
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...learn more »
In This Article
Uterine Cancer Article
- Uterine cancer facts*
- What is endometrial cancer?
- What are risk factors for endometrial cancer?
- What are signs and symptoms of endometrial cancer?
- What tests and procedures diagnose endometrial cancer?
- What factors affect prognosis and treatment options for uterine cancer?
- How is uterine cancer staging determined?
- How does cancer spread in the body?
- Cancer may
spread from where it began to other parts of the body.
- What are the stages of endometrial cancer?
- What is recurrent endometrial cancer?
- What are treatment options for endometrial cancer?
- What are new types of treatment being tested in uterine cancer clinical trials?
- What are clinical trials?
- Patients can enter clinical trials before, during, or after starting their
- What follow-up tests may be needed after treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What are uterine cancer treatment options by stage?
- What are treatment options for recurrent endometrial cancer?
In This Article
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
- Uterine fibroids facts
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What causes uterine fibroids and how common are they?
- What are the symptomsof uterine fibroids?
- Do untreated uterine fibroids pose a risk?
- What are the usual ways of diagnosing uterine fibroids?
- What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for fibroids
- Medical treatment for fibroids
- What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...learn more »