Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: lyn12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My first endometrial biopsy was performed 15 years ago, I went into shock and passed out. My doctor said if I had to have this procedure again I must make sure I have it in an operating room with sedation. My current doctor said, I will be fine with anti-anxiety medicines, a numbing injection, and medicines to open up my cervix. Well, I wasn't told that the cervical medicines should've been given to me an hour before the procedure the anxiety medicines were picked up from the pharmacy and I had already taken them. Having waited 2 months already I didn't want to cancel and wait again, and my doctor didn't want to give me an hour for the cervix medicines to work! So on the advice of the doctor I went ahead and did it with the anxiety medicines and pain injection. I didn't pass out this time, but it felt like I was being raped with a wire brush, I literally screamed out in agony and felt light headed and sick to my stomach. The doctor said I must be wired differently. Well doctor, I gave birth with no medicines, just breathing, so obviously I am 'different' but then again I did tell you that, didn't I! Just so annoyed I let this barbaric experience be repeated a second time in office. I know it's a necessary evil to rule out cancer but if you have a bad experience the first time, stick to your guns and get it done with an IV sedation the next time.

Comment from: nervous, Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had my endometrial biopsy yesterday, I didn't know what to expect. The procedure took about 15 minutes, it was painful, I had some cramps, and been having some discharge since yesterday. I just hope this is normal and the results to be okay.

Comment from: smgonz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had an endometrial biopsy today and I was not expecting the pain that I felt. It was very short, about 30 seconds, but it was a pain that I had never experienced before. I did not take anything to help with the pain beforehand. I was also very nervous, which probably made it worse as I was tense. I felt fine right after, with a little cramping later on. I am glad it is over but I am also very glad I did it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: Dardar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a uterine biopsy today. I was not impressed as I had no idea I was having one. I had an appointment to discuss my options for fibroid and related symptoms. I was not given anything to prepare me for the endometrial biopsy nor even the mention of should/could I take anything for pain. This was all done by the resident, I never did see the doctor. And my options for fibroid symptoms were 3 more medications (one I have allergies to which I did tell her) as they don't want to do surgery and the objective is to get me through menopause so they don't have to remove. I am 46. It was a day of agony.

Comment from: beach girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a uterine polyp and small fibroid. I was scheduled for a uterine biopsy (suction of cells through a flexible long straw called a pipette). I was absolutely terrified from reading the other experiences on here about endometrial biopsy. I tortured myself reading these horror stories. I came so close to canceling my appointment. I took a Xanax and 800 mg ibuprofen. I experienced nothing but a mild sensation of a very small cramp. I was so relieved when it was over. Because the worry I had beforehand was so horrible and all for nothing. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had endometrial biopsy done on 1/5/16. They prescribed a cervix softener (two pills) that I needed to insert every twelve hours leading up to the procedure. I'm very grateful for that as I can't imagine how it would have felt without it. Even with it, it was painful, but it was a quick procedure (seemed like forever). I became very lightheaded, hot and a bit nauseous, which I now see are some of the side effects. I've also had cramping and some bleeding, but the bleeding is light. It's now four days later and I still feel like I'm getting my period (cramping) and still having light, intermittent bleeding.