Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had an endometrial biopsy today (5/22/14). It was the 5th time I have had one, and the first time they were successful. It does hurt quite a bit, I did swear out loud (oops) and once I realized what the cramping pain felt like, I was okay. The doctor was able to get a good sample, (hopefully) and I will know the results in about a week. I have had no bleeding today (which actually worries me) as I want them to get it right this time. I previously had this done 5 years ago in the hospital and then in the office and they never got the sample! I know, crazy right? I have never had children because of which I was told it was probably more painful. I am hoping I am okay.

Comment from: diamond218, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an endometrial biopsy on Tuesday 5/6/14, in a doctor's office. All I have to say is it was the most awful brutal test I have ever had. The doctor did not forewarn me of the pain, nor did he use lidocaine as I have read some doctors do. He didn"t even suggest I take any pain medicine beforehand. I wound up in the emergency room (ER) the day after the test. They did a CAT scan of my groin area and they have found nothing. There wasn"t any perforation or cuts in the uterus. My biopsy came back normal as well. Now it is 6 days later and the bleeding is back full force and the cramping is unbearable. I finally spoke to the doctor and he suggests I go on the Depo-Provera shot to control bleeding but this won"t really stop the cramping. In 6 days I have lost 8 lb. and sleep, can"t leave my house and I am constantly sick to my stomach. I have to go for a second opinion as this is no way to live.

Comment from: diamond218, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had an endometrial biopsy on Tuesday 5/6/14, in a doctor's office. All I have to say it was the most awful brutal test I have ever had. The doctor did not forewarn me of the pain, nor did he use lidocaine as I have read some doctors do. He didn"t even suggest I take any pain medicine beforehand. I wound up in the emergency room (ER) the day after the test; they did a CAT scan of my groin area and they have found nothing. There wasn"t any perforation or cuts in the uterus. My biopsy came back normal as well. Now it is 6 days later and the bleeding is back full force and the cramping is unbearable. I finally spoke to the doctor and he suggests I go on the Depo Provera shot to control bleeding but this won"t really stop the cramping. In 6 days I have lost 8 lb., sleep, can"t leave my house and I am constantly sick to my stomach. I have to go for a second opinion as this is no way to live.

Comment from: Magalway, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Just before my physician began the process for endometrial biopsy, she asked me if I took any ibuprofen or acetaminophen and I replied that I was not aware that I should have. She apologized and said, "Well, sorry, this will hurt a bit." It did. I cursed aloud. However, the biopsy was literally a life-saver. She excised a very small, slow-growing tumor in the endometrium, virtually invisible on the scan, which looked like it might have been a polyp. I had a hysterectomy a month later, and my uterus, although there were only microscopic traces of that tumor remaining, was heavily pre-cancerous. I would have been a very sick woman within a few years.

Comment from: Shelley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had a hysteroscopic biopsy today, in the gynecologist's office. I was pleasantly surprised, it was quick, not at all painful and I watched everything on the screen and saw for myself that I do not have any problems. I was told I had an enlarged uterus and thickened endometrial lining and as I have had 3 light periods 9 months apart my and gynecologist was worried and did the suction biopsy, which I actually felt more. Results were inconclusive so I was advised to go into hospital for D & C. I found a gynecologist who does this procedure in-house for a fraction of the cost and am so glad I did. My lining was so thin which is correct for my age that he battled to get a sample! I nearly drove myself crazy googling everything I could find on the subject. I have had no hot flushes, night sweats, etc., so am very happy with my experience of menopause. Pity I had to go through emotional hell, but doctors are only doing their job. So don"t be scared, it"s not bad at all and you get peace of mind.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: June 04

I had an endometrial biopsy the day before yesterday. I am a registered nurse and did not expect the pain I felt. I had to call to cancel my patients for a day. I"m still hurting and began to bleed yesterday. I am having post traumatic flash backs. It was absolutely awful.

Comment from: miss ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

The endometrial biopsy hurt so badly, but after the gynecologist finished, I bled a little, then I was OK.