Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: h20tiger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I just had endometrial biopsy today and I will admit I have a high pain threshold but I was definitely having a hard time keeping relaxed. I have never had children so nothing there to compare it to and I have a tilted cervix so that could have added to the discomfort. I do know that the 5 minutes of pain will be worth it to find out yay or nay. I basically told the doctor if it ends in an 'A' (hyperplasia, carcinoma or any other A) schedule the hysterectomy as soon as possible.

Comment from: earlymorning, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

If endometrial biopsy were a procedure men had to undergo, I bet anesthesia would be standard procedure. I've had no pain since my endometrial biopsy. But the pain during the procedure took my breath away. I'd read the comments here beforehand, and had taken Tylenol (I have gastric problems with ibuprofen). Nonetheless, it was excruciating. I know that different women have different experiences with this; but many here seem to have a great deal of pain, as I did. (It didn't last long, but I'll not soon forget it.) I had a liver biopsy several years ago, and was given anesthesia, so no pain was involved. Isn't it time to address this!

Comment from: sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Well, well, or maybe not so well, well; today was my turn to have an endometrial biopsy and after reading enough comments on this site to say that l was truly terrified. Having to wait 2 hours for my appointment did not help my nerves one bit. On being called in l burst into tears which is not like me, my general physician had told me to take pain killers 1 hour before which l had. The female doctor and nurse were lovely to me. I have quite a high pain threshold however out of 10 this was probably a 7 of discomfort. The instrument went through my cervix alright, l did feel it and it caused cramping. I certainly felt her scraping my womb with instrument. After taking it out l thought thank goodness but the doctor said he had to get some more cells to be sure, so round two started again. I gripped the nurse's hand very tight, and it was over. I was walking back to my car and l felt something trickling down my leg and thought l was bleeding, somehow l managed to get to my car. I could tell my pants were filling up with blood. Don't ask me how l got home but l did. I went straight to the bathroom to clean up, and yes, blood was running down my legs, I was scared, shaky and on my own. I was now crying in pain. I hadn't seen this much blood in 10 years. I took more pain medications and lay on the sofa with hot water bottle clutched to me and still bleeding. Now 5 hours later, still bad cramping and bleeding not quite so heavy. Verdict never again, if l ever have to have it again l will have a general anesthesia. I hope l stop bleeding soon and stop these cramps which are killing me now. I will update you all later with how my recovery is progressing. Good luck everyone who has this. I am trying to give you an honest overview. It would have helped if the doctor had told me this might happen.

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had my first endometrial biopsy due to some abnormal post-menopausal bleeding. I was prepared for severe pain because of things I have read and heard. I took the pain reliever an hour before the procedure. I did not feel any horrible pain like I thought I would. I felt slight cramping upon insertion of that tissue grabbing instrument, but that was it. Easy. The hardest part was for the poor gynecologist to find and see my cervix and that was probably due to my obesity.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

April 26/17 I had an endometrial biopsy in the doctor's office due to one day of blood show 15 years after menopause. I have a huge pain tolerance generally, but I had no idea what this was and was not at all prepared. I was not told to take pain medicines ahead of time. For 15 minutes I stayed in stirrups while the doctor tried to dilate my cervix and then tried twice to get a sample with both metal and plastic instruments. I screamed and vomited from the pain. The doctor yelled at me for not 'helping the process' and I was sobbing when I left. I cannot believe this is not done under anesthetic in a hospital setting. I went home, took Tylenol and curled up in bed for hours rocking in pain. Never again.