Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Bravegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial biopsy today. It was the most painful procedure I have ever endured. I wept. The consultant was so kind and after three attempts she managed to get enough for a biopsy which is very important. I was relieved.

Comment from: carlawilsons, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 59 years old. I have endometrial lining that is 11 mm. I have had light spotting twice a year for two years. A transvaginal sonogram says I have fibroids. I have been petrified to go for an endometrial biopsy because I read other postings saying that it is extremely painful. Well, today I had one done. The doctor used a Pipelle that had a plunger on the end which sucked up tissue. I am here to tell you that on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 3! I had some cramping when he moved the Pipelle back and forth but that's it, no bleeding or after-cramps. The procedure was over in less than 7 minutes. Just a tip, take something for pain 1 hour before the procedure. Good luck!

Comment from: suefreedom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had an endometrial biopsy of my uterus done today in my gynecologist's office. It was impromptu and was probably the most painful procedure I have gone through. I was screaming and almost passed out twice. How is it that some people don't find this procedure painful!

Comment from: Shybutterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I went for an endometrial biopsy on the 17th, it was performed in my doctor's office. My doctor tried several times to get the instrument in but it just would not go in so my doctor stopped and explained to me that she didn't want to force the instrument in and put me through that. She also explained that she will need my cervix to be dilated so she prescribed a medication for me to take an hour before my next visit which will be on the 30th. I am so glad that after trying several times she decided to stop whereas some doctors would have kept going and forcing the instrument into the cervix. This is the first time that I have ever had a biopsy done.

Comment from: Zeebee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an endometrial biopsy today, no pain and no cramping. The procedure took about 5 minutes and I think that was because he couldn't get the first Pipelle in and had to dilate my cervix and use a smaller one. The only thing I felt was pressure. It was like an extended Pap for me. I am so sorry to hear of the horrible experiences others have had and am wondering if they are having different procedures. The Pipelle sucks up lining, no scraping, so maybe that is why it wasn't painful.

Comment from: Brandyelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an endometrial biopsy done yesterday. It was the fourth visit in less than two month to this obstetrician/gynecologist. I did not expect it to be painful during or after since I have a pretty high tolerance to pain although I did take the ibuprofen as suggested. She could not get into my uterus. The attempts were excruciating. She said that it was because my uterus is probably small and that she had never encountered this problem. I am rescheduled to go back on Wednesday. She prescribed me some medications to help dilate me. My concern is if I shouldn't have had a sonogram first due to the fact I have all the symptoms of fibroids. Seems to me that fibroids may be more reason for her not being able to get in than having a small uterus.

Comment from: AK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have had two endometrial biopsies. The first one was 18 months ago, easy, very little pain. The second biopsy, done last Wednesday, hurt a lot. I think it is because I have a polyp and they needed to sample it. It turned out to be cancerous. I will need a hysterectomy. Six days later and I am in quite a bit of pain with cramping and soreness. I think I may have an infection because this got very painful at 5 in the morning. I took Percocet (oxycodone). By the way, you don't want to take aspirin or an NSAID like Advil because those can increase bleeding in surgery.