Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Missymitzi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had endometrial biopsy done today and it hurt like heck! I almost jumped off the table from the pain, and trust me, I am no wimp (three children without epidural). I just think some people are more sensitive in that area than others for whatever reason. After the procedure I had no serious pain, just some cramping and light bleeding. If I had to do it again I would insist on some type of anesthesia.

Comment from: Shanni, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I just had my endometrial biopsy done about an hour ago. I have a very high pain tolerance so wasn't really that concerned about it. I have never felt pain like that before in my life, and I have had two children without pain medication. It actually made me curse at the doctor, and break out in a sweat. I even took Motrin prior to going just in case I had some cramping. So basically it was one of the most painful things I have experienced, but it only lasted for about 2 minutes, and then I was fine. Regardless, if you need to have it done, just do it, it can save your life.

Comment from: dennee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I just had an endometrial biopsy and other than a slight pinching sensation occasionally, I had no problems and am back at work for the day. Sometimes I think people get too panicked, worried, and worked up about procedures and it makes it worse for them. Because I seriously had no problems at all.

Comment from: VK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I must have a high tolerance of pain. Other than a sharp pain when opening cervix, I felt nothing when I had an endometrial biopsy. Nothing. No cramping, didn't feel pull or pressure or anything. I had no medicines as I didn't know I'd need it done. Not bragging, but rather wondering if something isn't wrong about that. Sounds like it's awful for most.

Comment from: Jackie7099, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had the endometrial biopsy done yesterday. It was very painful! I wasn't informed to take anything before. I also cried and it was awful! I usually have high pain tolerance but this was bad. Apparently too, it is suggested to have an ultrasound before this procedure so they can know if you have fibroids. I think I did have fibroids because she had to nip me twice because she couldn't get to the area she needed.

Comment from: unprepared, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had an endometrial biopsy last week. I thought I was just going in for consultation and next thing I knew my feet were up in stirrups. The doctor waved a thin plastic tube at me and said she was just going to take a sample; no warnings or anything. I nearly jumped off the table in the excruciating pain. I've had red bleeding and intense cramps in lower left pelvis for almost a week now. I hope to see my general doctor in a few days because something is not right. The obstetrician/gynecologist should have prepared me, she was behind schedule and I think she didn't care as long as she caught up!

Comment from: patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had the endometrial biopsy several weeks ago. I did not know ahead of time so did not take any medication in advance. It was the most horrific pain I ever experienced. It felt like knives were being pushed up my vagina. I was screaming for the doctor to stop. I was nauseous and felt like I was going to pass out to the point she had to give me smelling salts. I found out I have vaginal atrophy and she put me on a medication to help. I have to have a hysteroscopy next but waiting for the vaginal lining to improve.

Comment from: Steffyo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had the endometrial biopsy done today. The procedure doesn't take long but it was very painful for me. The doctor told me to take something beforehand and that there would be some pain and cramping. I'm so embarrassed because I cried a lot. For me it was probably one of the worst pains I have ever felt. It was menstrual cramping to the nth degree. It shot up my stomach, into my rectum and all over my abdomen and pelvis. The people who were able to get through it with minimal pain and cramping are very lucky. I thought I had a high pain tolerance and that certainly wasn't the case for me. I hope that I never have to have it done ever again. It has been about 2 hours since the procedure and I still have some mild cramping and abdominal pain which was to be expected. This is very tolerable.