Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Ruth L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I just has my endometrial biopsy done yesterday. I was told to take 600 mg of ibuprofen, so I did. First my gynecologist went through the procedure with cons and pros of both ways, in her office or as outpatient, which was very nice of her. I chose to do it in the office so I did and she went through all she was doing and explaining what will happen with this instrument, etc. While I was having it done I had a little pinching and cramping feeling. I am still bleeding and have some cramping, but she said it will go away in a few days. If you do have it done I advise you take 6 to 8 MG of ibuprofen before it really does help the pain. I will know in a week my test results.

Comment from: momofsixrugrats, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had an endometrial biopsy two days ago. I must say that I was afraid of what it would be like. For me, it was only a pinch, and then some cramping. Not as bad as I thought that it would be. I only bled a little bit. Now I wait for the results.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had my endometrial biopsy today after a transvaginal and pelvic ultrasound, because of a bad Pap smear. My Pap smear results were labeled AGC (atypical glandular cells). I was supposed to have this done three weeks ago after the endometrial curettage but the doctor could not get the pipette into my uterus. She tried and tried, I thought I was going to pass out, extremely painful. So we rescheduled and the ultrasound showed that my uterus shape made it to where when she tried to insert the pipette it would just jam into my cervical canal. The pipette used this time was smaller and more flexible. Yes this procedure can be awful! I have given birth twice and my first was a 9 lb. baby. I have felt pain. This procedure was not as bad as that for me.

Comment from: Lisac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had an endometrial biopsy today. I have a high pain tolerance, which left me very surprised at how much it hurt. I felt immediately nauseous afterwards and was shaking. It took me several minutes before I felt like I could get dressed. I suppose the strangest thing was I felt like they expected me to be able to get right up and get dressed but I asked for some water and sat in the waiting room a bit before I felt like I could drive home. I'm not used to being a wimp, so I'm not sure normal pain tolerance is applicable here. It would be interesting to know why the experiences are so different.

Comment from: 65 year old lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

After one post-menopausal bleeding incident I was scheduled for an endometrial biopsy. I worried for a month before the procedure after reading so many bad experiences. My cervix was tight so he gave me a shot in it so he could enlarge it to get the pipette through to get the sample. I did not feel the shot and have had far worse menstrual cramps. I took 4 Advil and 1\2 of a Xanax 2 hours before the procedure. I don't know if it was the shot in the cervix or the Advil but I would choose this any day over a dental implant procedure! No bleeding or cramping afterwards. The doctor called today saying everything was normal. That was the best news of all and am glad that I did it as I almost backed out.

Comment from: Val from Hailsham, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had an endometrial biopsy about 6 weeks ago. It was extremely painful in my right side. I still have the same pain.

Comment from: carriejosemiamor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had my second endometrial biopsy about an hour ago. I am not going to lie, so here's the truth. I was in and out in probably 15 minutes with 5 minutes prior with the nurse checking my blood pressure and stuff. I felt some cramping and then some more cramping some lighter than others. It is not pleasant but I could think of other things a lot worse. To me it felt like someone messing around up in my right and left side lower abdomen; very crampy. I had a tight squeeze on my sweater and was curling my toes. But it didn't last long and it was needed so I just did it. I had some painful cramping after she took everything out, I just lay there for a few minutes. It has been slightly over an hour and the cramps have gotten better. I used a maxi pad. I have to go to work in 2 hours. They gave me no restrictions. I also did not take any pain reliever before, some say it helps.