Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: heatherjoy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have recently been scheduled for a hysterectomy due to fibroids. The obstetrician/gynecologist wanted to do an endometrial biopsy to make sure there was no cancer before proceeding. Got it. No problem. My cervix is so scarred, she had to dilate me, number one. Number two, that was the worst thing I have been through. Trying to have the Mirena IUD (intrauterine device) placed is a close second. I was so embarrassed. I have delivered twins and never acted like that. I felt dizzy and nauseous. I don't think there is any way to prepare for this.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had endometrial biopsy yesterday, I cannot believe in this day and age we have to go through something so barbaric! The pain was excruciating! I'm so glad my friend was in there with me to hold my hand. The doctor had to clamp my cervix, then tried to get the instrument in, and it wouldn't go. So then she dilated me, then did the chopping; I was screaming. Then she decided to do another one just to make sure she had enough! When she said she was going to do the second one, I asked for something for the pain, and she said not necessary! I have had three kids, yes, that hurts, but at least you have drugs to help. I hope I never have to deal with that again!

Comment from: nancyS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 59 and have had postmenopausal bleeding off and on for 3 years. I had two other endometrial biopsies in the past. So I saw my gynecologist 3 weeks ago for the bleeding and he sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound and a pelvic ultrasound to determine how thick my uterine lining is. He said 5 or 6 cm is ok. Mine after the testing was found out to be 12 cm so that's why the endometrial biopsy today. I worried for 7 days, thinking of nothing else but the pain I experienced during the first 2, years ago with another gynecologist. So today I was pleasantly surprised how little it hurt. I took 3 Advil and felt just a mild cramping and it was over in about 4 minutes. He was gentle and now I just have light bleeding but no pain. He did say because I've had 2 children it might not hurt as much. Waiting 5 days for the results now. From reading all the reviews it seems like every woman is different with the pain.

Comment from: leelam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had an endometrial biopsy done two days ago and it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I have given birth twice so it's not like I don't have that as a baseline. The pain was something that filled the whole room and though it was short-lived it was the only thing I was aware of. My doctor told me I must have a high tolerance for pain as I didn't show any reaction to the pain, she was also really impressed with how well I did. All I was thinking as she said that was how much I wanted to punch her! She is amazing and very nice but that pain! I am still sore two days later. For those who had a pain free experience count yourself very lucky. I have to wait 2 weeks for my results, I wonder if there is any connection between having a problem like fibroids or polyps and the amount of pain.

Comment from: Bravegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial biopsy today. It was the most painful procedure I have ever endured. I wept. The consultant was so kind and after three attempts she managed to get enough for a biopsy which is very important. I was relieved.

Comment from: Maureen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My uterus lining is thick so she wants to do a biopsy but I am concerned that if I did have cancer the biopsy could spread it.

Comment from: carlawilsons, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 59 years old. I have endometrial lining that is 11 mm. I have had light spotting twice a year for two years. A transvaginal sonogram says I have fibroids. I have been petrified to go for an endometrial biopsy because I read other postings saying that it is extremely painful. Well, today I had one done. The doctor used a Pipelle that had a plunger on the end which sucked up tissue. I am here to tell you that on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 3! I had some cramping when he moved the Pipelle back and forth but that's it, no bleeding or after-cramps. The procedure was over in less than 7 minutes. Just a tip, take something for pain 1 hour before the procedure. Good luck!