Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Nanna?C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I received a uterine biopsy last week. During the endometrial biopsy there was pain but it wasn't horrible, however it was more painful than expected. There is a memory of someone yelling, 'what the heck'; yes that person was me. However afterwards during the post-surgical discussion with my doctor and husband all the severe pain had already subsided. There was discomfort for four days when I bent sideways or moved around too much. I received my all clear status yesterday! The tumor is not cancerous.

Comment from: alibaba, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had an appointment with a gynecologist today and did not expect to be having an endometrial biopsy. So no idea beforehand of what to expect and no pain relief taken. This test needs re-thinking and by a woman. Brutal. I had 10 seconds of sheer agony. I broke out into a sweat and felt light headed only to be told another sample was needed; a count of 5. This was worse as I knew what was coming. I came home and took maximum pain relief and I'm still griping 2 hours later. The consultant and nurse were both extremely lovely, the procedure however was possibly the worst pain ever. It's a 9.5 if not a 10.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My doctor attempted to do an endometrial biopsy years ago. It was the worst pain I ever experienced in my life and I've experienced a lot of pain. I begged her to stop and she did. Now since I'm showing lots of signs of uterine cancer they scheduled me for another endometrial biopsy. I prepared this time by taking several Tylenol and codeine plus anti-anxiety drugs. Again it was the worst pain I ever felt and the doctor could not do the procedure. She recommended that I just have a hysterectomy because I will simply be asleep and feel no pain. I will be having a hysterectomy soon.

Comment from: Dms, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I just had an endometrial biopsy today for post-menopausal bleeding. I took 400 mg of ibuprofen 1 hour before. My doctor inserted the tube and started counting to 10. There was some minor pain and a few cramps, but that was it. Sorry others had a harder time, depends on the length of the procedure and number of samples needed.

Comment from: armywife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had an endometrial biopsy (EB) when I was 40. I took Motrin ahead of time as directed which am not sure that helped or not! It took several minutes and the pain was tolerable but I still broke out in a sweat and felt nauseated when it was over but that passed quickly. Second EB done when I was 58. One word comes to mind; barbaric! It was extremely painful, I almost passed out. They gave me a shot of Toradol after the EB. I will never have this procedure again unless sedated.

Comment from: Meredith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am scheduled for an endometrial biopsy. I have a large tolerance to pain, and I'm glad I read these comments. My uterus is tilted and tipped, so the cervix is hard to find. I have had two polyps removed, did okay, but it hurt like crazy. I'll ask the doctor ahead of time for something to soften the cervix, and will definitely take Valium ahead of time and have my husband drive. I had two kids with no drugs (we were crazy then), but there is zero reason to feel pain when Demerol, or something like that, is easily available for the doctor in the office.

Comment from: catfang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a follow up appointment with my doctor because what she previously prescribed had not taken any effect on me. To my surprise, the nurse said given my current symptoms, she will prepare me for an endometrial biopsy. She explained the procedure and I immediately got nervous. Then the doctor came in and assured me it would not take long and would go step by step so I knew what she was doing. She was very good in trying to relax me and went step by step. However, no prepping in the world prepared me for the pain I was going to experience. I'm sure the whole area heard my yells. It felt like I was being ripped inside. Thankfully it was over in a few minutes but those were the longest minutes in my life.