Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I just had my first endometrial biopsy today. Felt mostly cramping, no pain and I do have some bleeding. My experience was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, my doctor was really great. Now I just wait for my results which I think will be the worst part of the whole thing.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had an endometrial biopsy and a cervical polyp removal yesterday. I took 2 Advil and an Ativan to ease my stress. The whole procedure took 10 minutes, with 5 seconds of light cramping, and a little bleeding which has now stopped. Do not let people's scary negative experience scare and discourage you from having important tests. This was quick and really no big deal!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am glad I did not see this blog before today. I would have been scared. As it was, I was unaware of what was to happen when I had my endometrial biopsy today. I too found it nearly unbearable. Yes, like a long ice pick being slowly pushed into a raw, open wound. I did succumb and let out a scream a moment before it was over, it was bad! Then I Immediately became light headed, nearly passed out and was actually slurring my words. Hey, we are women and we are tough old birds! If you have to go through this, go through it. It hurts, a lot, in a very weird, inside-out way. It is quick and once it is over it is over. I feel like it never happened. However, I don't think I could or would do it again without a Darvon or something.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the endometrial biopsy procedure done 4 days ago. I took medicine the night before and the morning of the procedure. They had trouble getting through the cervix. Cramping started but then when they were taking the samples it felt like a hot knife with a wire brush along with cramping. I could barely stand it and I have a high pain threshold. I broke out into a sweat, felt nauseous and weak. I lay for a while after and then sat outside for half an hour before I drove home. I had what appeared to be some clotting discharge and spotting. I still have spotting.

Comment from: katmando, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I just had an endometrial biopsy yesterday because my hemoglobin is 113 and my iron stores are at 10. Taking iron supplements and eating high iron foods is slowly helping but the doctor says I am just chasing the problem. Oh, and I am losing my hair because of it! Thank goodness I have lots to lose. I decided to take one 400 mg Advil (liquid-gels) an hour before. All went well, I had some cramping, as doctor had to take a few samples and some light bleeding. I felt pretty good for the remainder of the day until last night, I guess the Advil had run its course. Cramping was bad enough that it woke me up and I had shooting pains down my right leg and lower back, got chills, aches and pains all over. I got up for some more Advil and was able to rest after it started working again. Not feeling the best today, just generally feeling achy, little weak and some chills. I took another Advil, using a nice hot water bottle, sipping on some coffee and now feeling a little better. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If it doesn't get any better in a few days, I will have to go back to the doctor to make sure there is no infection. I am waiting now for results, then booked for an intrauterine device, and if that doesn't work, then ablation it is. I am trying to avoid ablation if possible.

Comment from: sjde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have had 3 of these endometrial biopsies and they were awful. The first time I was told to take ibuprofen. I think I took 600 or 800 mg. It didn't seem to help so the 2nd time I took 5 mg Vicodin. That didn't seem to help much either so the 3rd time I took 1 1/2 oxycodone (7.5 mg) and still it was awful! I've had 2 natural childbirths.

Comment from: summer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an endometrial biopsy due to the fact that I had 21 days of bleeding at 52. Only the last 6 days were heavy. Next period was fine. I missed the next one. Hormone test showed I am not in menopause. They did an internal ultrasound which showed uterine thickness. It was suggested that I get a biopsy, either in the office or a D and C in the hospital that I would be put out for. I was going to choose the D and C so I could be put under anesthesia because I read reviews that the regular biopsy was painful. This option ended up cost prohibitive. So I decided I'd have to do the office biopsy. I asked for something to help relax and for the pain. It was denied. I had read that it was painful and some women said barbaric. You always hope you are in the minority and that it won't be bad. I read that when they grasped the cervix it can cause cramping. I didn't have that; so far so good. Then they stuck in the mechanism to do the biopsy (a straw perhaps). I came up off of the table and let out a scream. The doctor asked me if I wanted to stop. After getting this far, I didn't want to not finish so I let her try again. I had my husband with me. I let out a scream again and clawed his hand and said some very bad profanities (which I usually never do). I forced myself to stay in position while I was cursing (the first attempt, I shot to the head of the table). This whole time I was muttering that it was ridiculous that in this day and age and medical knowledge that this had to be done under no pain medication. I don't want to scare anyone as they need to get something checked if it is for their health. But at the same time, I am glad I read the reviews as I can't imagine going through this if I thought it was no big deal. I am not sure how it is going to turn out but I won't do that again. It would have to be while I am under. The only positive I have is that I had only a trace amount of bleeding afterwards and no cramping. I felt tired but it was more like I was in a mental shock over the pain of it while it lasted.