Patient Comments: Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Atta Girl 66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had my first endometrial biopsy at a routine gynecologist appointment. I did not know ahead of time so did not take any pain medication or anything to soften cervix. It was so, so incredibly painful. Doctor said that I might feel some cramping. Cramping! It felt like a knife tearing up my insides! I felt like I was going to vomit and pass out at the same time. Doctor said she might not have gotten enough tissue. I said I don't care. Never again. Apparently, because I have never been pregnant, the uterus is tighter and more difficult to get the tissue from. If the sample doesn't contain enough tissue, I'll have to have it done in surgery under sedation. That's fine with me.

Comment from: lyn12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My first endometrial biopsy was performed 15 years ago, I went into shock and passed out. My doctor said if I had to have this procedure again I must make sure I have it in an operating room with sedation. My current doctor said, I will be fine with anti-anxiety medicines, a numbing injection, and medicines to open up my cervix. Well, I wasn't told that the cervical medicines should've been given to me an hour before the procedure the anxiety medicines were picked up from the pharmacy and I had already taken them. Having waited 2 months already I didn't want to cancel and wait again, and my doctor didn't want to give me an hour for the cervix medicines to work! So on the advice of the doctor I went ahead and did it with the anxiety medicines and pain injection. I didn't pass out this time, but it felt like I was being raped with a wire brush, I literally screamed out in agony and felt light headed and sick to my stomach. The doctor said I must be wired differently. Well doctor, I gave birth with no medicines, just breathing, so obviously I am 'different' but then again I did tell you that, didn't I! Just so annoyed I let this barbaric experience be repeated a second time in office. I know it's a necessary evil to rule out cancer but if you have a bad experience the first time, stick to your guns and get it done with an IV sedation the next time.

Comment from: nervous, Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had my endometrial biopsy yesterday, I didn't know what to expect. The procedure took about 15 minutes, it was painful, I had some cramps, and been having some discharge since yesterday. I just hope this is normal and the results to be okay.

Comment from: smgonz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had an endometrial biopsy today and I was not expecting the pain that I felt. It was very short, about 30 seconds, but it was a pain that I had never experienced before. I did not take anything to help with the pain beforehand. I was also very nervous, which probably made it worse as I was tense. I felt fine right after, with a little cramping later on. I am glad it is over but I am also very glad I did it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: Dardar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a uterine biopsy today. I was not impressed as I had no idea I was having one. I had an appointment to discuss my options for fibroid and related symptoms. I was not given anything to prepare me for the endometrial biopsy nor even the mention of should/could I take anything for pain. This was all done by the resident, I never did see the doctor. And my options for fibroid symptoms were 3 more medications (one I have allergies to which I did tell her) as they don't want to do surgery and the objective is to get me through menopause so they don't have to remove. I am 46. It was a day of agony.

Comment from: anna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am from Canada and just had an endometrial biopsy and had excruciating pain. I am still in pain two days later. Time Canadian medicine came into the 21st Century and offered women cervix softeners and the other medicines to mitigate the suffering for women who go through it. No drugs of any kind is offered here.

Comment from: beach girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with a uterine polyp and small fibroid. I was scheduled for a uterine biopsy (suction of cells through a flexible long straw called a pipette). I was absolutely terrified from reading the other experiences on here about endometrial biopsy. I tortured myself reading these horror stories. I came so close to canceling my appointment. I took a Xanax and 800 mg ibuprofen. I experienced nothing but a mild sensation of a very small cramp. I was so relieved when it was over. Because the worry I had beforehand was so horrible and all for nothing. Good luck to you all.