Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done in July 2015. I have had no periods since procedure but all other side effects are ruining my life, depression, panic attacks, back, abdominal and leg pain, and tired all time. I think in my opinion this procedure has brought the menopause on too quick. I wish I'd never had this procedure done.

Comment from: Fallonea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in June 2002 at the age 46. It took a couple months to shed the rest of the lining (blood) and time to recover. However, I've never had any additional issues and it was the best thing I've ever done.

Comment from: 40 club, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had the endometrial ablation done on 11-13-15. After the procedure I was in a lot of pain. Once I got home was told to take four 200 mg Motrin every 4 hours for pain as needed. The pain eventually went away that night, then 2 days later the watery discharge started. First week of December I started having a lot of cramping, I didn't know if it was normal or not. I was really bloated and still am, I feel like I put on 10 pounds. I have had some light spotting which doctor told me might happen but now I got a lot of hurting in the lower part of back and bottom of stomach. I don't know if this was a good idea or not.

Comment from: francine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had my endometrial ablation done almost a year ago and had no problems till today, I woke with heavy bleeding and terrible cramps. I don't know what's going on. I guess I have to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: so depressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had an endometrial ablation in 2014. I've had painful cramps and a daily discharge that is awful. I have gained 15 lb. and very depressed.

Comment from: My H, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 38 years old and four and a half years ago, 2/2011, I had endometrial ablation done to help my severely heavy and severely cramping periods. Recovery was fine, month or two of leaking and I felt a bit menopausal for the next 9 months or so. But my periods were gone (minus the premenstrual syndrome and 'feeling like a period' without the cramps or bleeding). It was great for four years! And then I started cramping mildly once a month this March. It increased to twice a month in June and since early September, I have felt like I am having a period every week! No bleeding but heavy cramps, super emotional and diarrhea for a few days. I have seen my primary care doctor and had an ultrasound done that showed nothing. I have two children, 16 and 12, and had no pain medicines during delivery but this is like labor for weeks now! I have an appointment with my gynecologist who did the procedure in a couple weeks but everything I have read and how I feel, I will probably have a partial hysterectomy done. It was great for 4 years but now it's not worth the pain. If you are under 40 it can result in this, or sometimes not. I think it's case by case and I can't say it isn't worth trying before deciding to have a hysterectomy but now I believe that is my next choice. Happy for the 4 years of no bleeding or massive cramps but it looks like what I wanted years ago (hysterectomy) is what's going to happen. Good luck to those who have had it done but pay attention to your body and listen to it! Not a bad choice for all but it can end up this way.

Comment from: Wish I didn't do it, Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation done in 2012. It worked to the point that I have less pain, bleeding is not as heavy and I'm not as badly anemic. However I am left with a continual discharge that's anywhere from clear to blood in color. Shortly after I began getting flu like symptoms about 2 weeks after my menstruation as I continued to wear panty shields. As of this year whether or not I wear panty shields I still get flu like symptoms. The last 3 years have been tough and now I am scheduled for a hysterectomy.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?