Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Comment from: so depressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had an endometrial ablation in 2014. I've had painful cramps and a daily discharge that is awful. I have gained 15 lb. and very depressed.

Comment from: My H, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 38 years old and four and a half years ago, 2/2011, I had endometrial ablation done to help my severely heavy and severely cramping periods. Recovery was fine, month or two of leaking and I felt a bit menopausal for the next 9 months or so. But my periods were gone (minus the premenstrual syndrome and 'feeling like a period' without the cramps or bleeding). It was great for four years! And then I started cramping mildly once a month this March. It increased to twice a month in June and since early September, I have felt like I am having a period every week! No bleeding but heavy cramps, super emotional and diarrhea for a few days. I have seen my primary care doctor and had an ultrasound done that showed nothing. I have two children, 16 and 12, and had no pain medicines during delivery but this is like labor for weeks now! I have an appointment with my gynecologist who did the procedure in a couple weeks but everything I have read and how I feel, I will probably have a partial hysterectomy done. It was great for 4 years but now it's not worth the pain. If you are under 40 it can result in this, or sometimes not. I think it's case by case and I can't say it isn't worth trying before deciding to have a hysterectomy but now I believe that is my next choice. Happy for the 4 years of no bleeding or massive cramps but it looks like what I wanted years ago (hysterectomy) is what's going to happen. Good luck to those who have had it done but pay attention to your body and listen to it! Not a bad choice for all but it can end up this way.

Comment from: Wish I didn't do it, Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation done in 2012. It worked to the point that I have less pain, bleeding is not as heavy and I'm not as badly anemic. However I am left with a continual discharge that's anywhere from clear to blood in color. Shortly after I began getting flu like symptoms about 2 weeks after my menstruation as I continued to wear panty shields. As of this year whether or not I wear panty shields I still get flu like symptoms. The last 3 years have been tough and now I am scheduled for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an endometrial ablation 13 weeks ago and am still bleeding with watery issue. The doctor admitted she was overly aggressive and has me on birth control pills to stop the issue. I've been on those for 3 weeks with a lessening of symptoms but that's all. I'm 63, haven't had a period in over 20 years, but for the last 3 months have had to wear sanitary pads, and panty liners to take care of my issue.

Comment from: Terry's Sister, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My sister had an endometrial ablation surgery, it created scar tissue. Because of this it blocked a lot. She got sick, very sick. This is when they tried to do biopsy but could not get into her cervix because of the scar tissue. She went in to have a hysterectomy and they opened and closed her. She had stage 4 uterine cancer. This should not have happened, she had irregular periods for 3 years before the ablation surgery. In January her Pap was normal and March stage 4!

Comment from: Brenda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a hysteroscopic thermal ablation (HTA) on 9/12/14 and I was fine until about 2 hours after the procedure. I was at home and I began to experience pain in my lower abdomen unlike I have ever felt in my life. Within about a half an hour I was on the floor rocking and crying with pain I can only describe as an 11 in a scale from 1-10. My husband immediately took me to the hospital and CT scan found nothing wrong, but thank goodness almost as soon as I got there they immediately gave me the first of what eventually became 4 doses of Dilantin (a very strong painkiller). The strange thing is though, by the next morning I was almost pain free and everything has been fine since then (just light spotting). Time will tell if the procedure is a success but all I can say was that in my case the post procedure pain was unbearable, so bad that I actually vomited 5 or 6 times from the pain and thought I was going to pass out. Afterwards two physicians told me that my experience with the HTA procedure was not normal and that they had only seen such severe pain on a couple of other occasions.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?