Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Comment from: Wish I didn't do it, Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation done in 2012. It worked to the point that I have less pain, bleeding is not as heavy and I'm not as badly anemic. However I am left with a continual discharge that's anywhere from clear to blood in color. Shortly after I began getting flu like symptoms about 2 weeks after my menstruation as I continued to wear panty shields. As of this year whether or not I wear panty shields I still get flu like symptoms. The last 3 years have been tough and now I am scheduled for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an endometrial ablation 13 weeks ago and am still bleeding with watery issue. The doctor admitted she was overly aggressive and has me on birth control pills to stop the issue. I've been on those for 3 weeks with a lessening of symptoms but that's all. I'm 63, haven't had a period in over 20 years, but for the last 3 months have had to wear sanitary pads, and panty liners to take care of my issue.

Comment from: Terry's Sister, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My sister had an endometrial ablation surgery, it created scar tissue. Because of this it blocked a lot. She got sick, very sick. This is when they tried to do biopsy but could not get into her cervix because of the scar tissue. She went in to have a hysterectomy and they opened and closed her. She had stage 4 uterine cancer. This should not have happened, she had irregular periods for 3 years before the ablation surgery. In January her Pap was normal and March stage 4!

Comment from: Brenda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a hysteroscopic thermal ablation (HTA) on 9/12/14 and I was fine until about 2 hours after the procedure. I was at home and I began to experience pain in my lower abdomen unlike I have ever felt in my life. Within about a half an hour I was on the floor rocking and crying with pain I can only describe as an 11 in a scale from 1-10. My husband immediately took me to the hospital and CT scan found nothing wrong, but thank goodness almost as soon as I got there they immediately gave me the first of what eventually became 4 doses of Dilantin (a very strong painkiller). The strange thing is though, by the next morning I was almost pain free and everything has been fine since then (just light spotting). Time will tell if the procedure is a success but all I can say was that in my case the post procedure pain was unbearable, so bad that I actually vomited 5 or 6 times from the pain and thought I was going to pass out. Afterwards two physicians told me that my experience with the HTA procedure was not normal and that they had only seen such severe pain on a couple of other occasions.

Comment from: justrrrs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had the endometrial ablation procedure in December 2012. Everything seemed to be fine. No more bleeding but my nightmare began a few years later in December 2014. I suddenly started experiencing a burning sensation on my lower belly. A week or so later I was in the emergency room (ER) because the pain was unbearable. Mind you, I take pain medications for my neck but the medicines did not help for the type of pain that I was experiencing. I left the ER with no answers. A few weeks later I woke up to a drenched bed. It was blood! I ran to the bathroom to literally push out a huge blood clot (plum sized). I continued to bleed heavily for a few days (nonstop). Long story short, I've had an MRI, pelvic exam/ultrasounds, and colonoscopy/endoscopy. All turned out fine but as of today which is July 30, 2014 (almost 8 months) I'm still in excruciating pain! It's unbearable and debilitating! I feel like I'm losing my mind since doctors can't find a reason for the pain! Other than irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) which I know for a fact isn't so, since the nurse told me after my colonoscopy that they will usually diagnose you with IBS when nothing else is found. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this type of pain post ablation!

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?