Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Comment from: CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had the endometrial abation procedure done 3 weeks ago. I do have spotting and wear a light pad every day. I am assuming this will go away after a while. About 2.5 weeks after, I had sex for the first time and it was painful, I never ever had painful sex before this. The next day I woke up with extreme pain (down there) and super painful when urinating. I assume I have an infection somewhere. I called the doctor's office and he is giving me 2 prescriptions Bactrim and Pyridium. I have to call office in 2 days if the medications don't work. I hope it does. I do look forward to not having heavy periods, I am almost 55 and do look forward to resuming my sex life.

Comment from: TJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been on my period for 9 weeks, heavy and clotting, and had the endometrial ablation (hysteroscopy) on Monday 6/13. The first couple of times to the bathroom, there was some blood, however the remainder of the day and Tuesday there was nothing at all. Such a relief. However, I started back to work on Wednesday and began having my period again. Much lighter than the previous 9 weeks, but still disappointing as I am still counting the days that I have been on my period and am very frustrated! I have not really had any cramping.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done in July 2015. I have had no periods since procedure but all other side effects are ruining my life, depression, panic attacks, back, abdominal and leg pain, and tired all time. I think in my opinion this procedure has brought the menopause on too quick. I wish I'd never had this procedure done.

Comment from: Fallonea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in June 2002 at the age 46. It took a couple months to shed the rest of the lining (blood) and time to recover. However, I've never had any additional issues and it was the best thing I've ever done.

Comment from: 40 club, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had the endometrial ablation done on 11-13-15. After the procedure I was in a lot of pain. Once I got home was told to take four 200 mg Motrin every 4 hours for pain as needed. The pain eventually went away that night, then 2 days later the watery discharge started. First week of December I started having a lot of cramping, I didn't know if it was normal or not. I was really bloated and still am, I feel like I put on 10 pounds. I have had some light spotting which doctor told me might happen but now I got a lot of hurting in the lower part of back and bottom of stomach. I don't know if this was a good idea or not.

Comment from: chrissy11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

After 6 weeks after my endometrial ablation, I am healed. No more leakage, I had sex and it wasn't painful! I also would have gotten my period 3 days ago in the real world, but have nothing! Yeah, I think the healing time is about 6 to 8 weeks. Give it time. My doctor said 2 to 4 weeks, take the extra month.

Comment from: francine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had my endometrial ablation done almost a year ago and had no problems till today, I woke with heavy bleeding and terrible cramps. I don't know what's going on. I guess I have to go back to the doctor.

Comment from: so depressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had an endometrial ablation in 2014. I've had painful cramps and a daily discharge that is awful. I have gained 15 lb. and very depressed.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?