Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: tammerlynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation procedure performed 9 days ago using NovaSure under general anesthesia. I had no pain and very minor intermittent cramping first day. There was no need for medicines. I had very light watery/bloody discharge first week, then clear. The only side effect I'm experiencing is stomach bloat, particularly after I eat. Could be the anesthesia is still working out of my system as I am petite. I will discuss with physician at post-operation checkup.

Comment from: Nandin, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation on the 18th and I have been bleeding ever since. My doctor is so full of herself, patting herself on her back because it's 'the best one she's ever done!' that she doesn't care that I had cervicitis, a urinary tract infection and constant bleeding. I'm seeing a pain management doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: tunatuna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had endometrial ablation procedure done yesterday afternoon amongst other bits and pieces like a biopsy, which they carried out at the same time under general anesthesia. The after pain was described to me as being like a period pain. However, think more mid to end waves of the childbirth scale and you are getting there. It is absolutely excruciating. I have given birth 4 times, one without pain relief and believe me this is much worse! My stomach has swelled to at least three times its size. I have hardly bled at all since, just a light watery pink discharge. I was given no after care advice or pain relief on leaving the hospital. I asked about baths and they said they were fine, I have read elsewhere much that contradicts this including the actual leaflet. I realize it is still early days and not everyone will experience this.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my endometrial ablation with general anesthesia at age 43. I had moderate cramps for approximately three days. After the first month I was immediately thankful for the surgery. I have no more heavy bleeding! The bleeding is so light I can use a panty liner. No side effects and it was the best decision I could have made!

Comment from: KRIS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had endometrial ablation/NovaSure procedure back in 2011 and so far I have no problems, no bleeding, and no spotting. Knock on wood. However my moods might be slightly different, bit more irritable. I am not sure if it is related to it. Maybe it is menopause. I am only 42.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on July 17th, I had cramping immediately after procedure but went home right away. The cramping only lasts right after procedure. It has been a couple weeks and so far no side effects other than a little watery discharge every so often. No bleeding and I am feeling great. If I did not know I had the procedure, I would never have known it was done. Worth it!

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation last August. I was very poorly within hours but it was a reaction. Since September 2014 I have had no bleeding or pain, however I have gone up 1 or 2 dress sizes. This does bother me but I would rather be slightly bigger than have excessive bleeding and being housebound.

Comment from: Corrina, Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had endometrial ablation surgery about 5 years ago. It was the best decision I have ever made. I did have mild cramping and bleeding for about 5 days post-surgery but once healed I felt great! I would suffer so much during my menstrual cycle with heavy bleeding, cramping and pain that I would miss time at work every month. After this surgery my periods nearly stopped. I sometimes have mild spotting or nothing at all monthly now. This really changed my life for the better!

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?