Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: DK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

Endometrial ablation changed my life! After bearing 3 children, I had periods that were so heavy and full of clots, I couldn't leave my house for a day or two. I also planned weekends away around my periods. It was very limiting and affected many aspects of my life including socializing, physical activity, travel and overall, my freedom to live to my life as I wanted to. I hesitated to take what I saw to be drastic measures but it got to the point where I felt like I needed to make a change. This procedure went seamlessly for me. After some mild cramps and light brown discharge (easily managed with just a panty shield) for approximately 8 days, my period stopped forever. I am free and making choices based on my desires and interests rather than on what time of the month it is! Truly liberating and highly recommended. Take your life back!

Comment from: Crystal D, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had the endometrial ablation, and LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) on 4/19/2017 (last week Wednesday), and after the surgery everything seemed to be okay. I had a brown grainy, watery discharge for the first two days and then on day 3, I started seeing a bright pinkish red discharge. I am now knocking at a week's door (tomorrow will be 1 week post-surgery) and I am now having a full period. This is very discouraging and I don't know what went wrong. I'm wondering if it is because I had two procedures at once. Oh my goodness, this is very frustrating.

Comment from: Pmd67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had endometrial ablation a year ago. I had spotting and discharge for 6 to 7 weeks, then no bleeding at all. I am still getting menopausal symptoms, i.e., headaches, weight gain on tummy, irritable moods, etc. I understand that I shouldn't believe that I cannot now get pregnant but I feel it highly unlikely after a year of no bleeding, I'm 50.

Comment from: Sassipantz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 24

Endometrial ablation was the best thing I have ever done. I used to have extremely heavy periods to the point I could barely leave my house. I actually had my period when my procedure was done and it was gone after leaving the office. I only had some light bleeding afterwards. The procedure was quick and painless for me. I did not need to take pain pills that the doctor gave me afterwards either. I had it done 5 years ago and no periods/bleeding since.

Comment from: cfreeman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had an endometrial ablation a year and a half ago. I have suffered with cramps for two weeks out of the month which are not as bad as a few days prior to the ablation but they last longer and are different. More of a low back constant pain for weeks. I would trade it back for bleeding.

Comment from: Merdi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In 2010, I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure, due to heavy bleeding and no other methods worked. My doctor finally suggested the NovaSure procedure. It was very painful afterwards and I had watery bleeding for a few days. I continued to have light periods without any problems. For the last two months, I have symptoms of a cycle but no bleeding. I don't know if it is menopause or the NovaSure, but I am happy either way. This procedure is great!

Comment from: Lisa65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an endometrial ablation in May 2016 for very long cycles that were heavy and with clots! After July I didn't have a period for 3 months, I was so happy, then November I started my period which was a week long. It was not bad but now from December 19 till now, January 15 I've been bleeding off and on for the past month. It is heavy and I just can't take it anymore so I'm calling my obstetrician/gynecologist in the morning to insist on a hysterectomy; even though I don't want to, it's my only choice! I'm 51 and I was hoping it would be slowing down because of my age!

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?