Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: dboyd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my endometrial ablation 8/12 in my doctor's office. So far it has been wonderful. I feel fine. Back to work today. I stayed busy all weekend. I was given Percocet and Valium to take before I went into the office. I only took one of the Valium and I wish I hadn't taken that one. It had been 30 years since I was give my one and only other Valium and I remember I didn't like it then either. After one last pregnancy test (drew blood) and then an intramuscular shot of Toradol, I was given about an hour to rest and let the medicines take effect. I was very prepared and knew exactly what to expect. I have a high pain tolerance so I was fine throughout the procedure. I even got to see the inside of my uterus before and after, on the monitor. I was, however, surprised to feel the heat as much as I did. Still for me it was very bearable and the slight cramping stopped immediately. My blood pressure was less after than before the procedure! I rested that afternoon and evening, but still made myself dinner and felt fine. I took Tylenol just as a precaution before bed the first night. I did everything I would normally do this weekend, cooking and cleaning. I'm back to work today, Monday. I am having the expected watery pink to brownish discharge but that is light. I hope I keep doing well and never have another period! I am sorry that so many of you have had problems. I thought it might be helpful to have another good review out here.

Comment from: Kari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an endometrial ablation March 2016 for extremely heavy bleeding that I had for about two years (I'm 42). I also had a fibroid removed and a D and C. I was put under for the procedure and due to pain management woke up feeling great. For the next 4 or 5 weeks I had slight watery bloody discharge but no big deal, could wear a panty liner. About the time I would normally get my period I got cramps so bad I was doubled over and had to leave work. Advil wouldn't even take care of it and I can take a lot of pain but this was bad. I'm still having a monthly period, but now what I would call a normal flow, but still bad cramping, worse than before the ablation. I'm being told by my gynecologist that you have to give an ablation 6 to 9 months to see the full effect. I'm on month 4. I'm still holding out hope that it'll work but not holding my breath at this point. I, like others on here, am regretting doing it in the first place.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had endometrial ablation on May 3rd, 2016. I had bad cramps and light bleeding for about 3 weeks. Then I had my regular period on June 19th, and it has been just as heavy as it was before I had the procedure, so I'm not sure if this helped me at all!

Comment from: Tjoyce2016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure almost 48 hours ago. After the procedure which I was told went well, I was fine until about an hour or two later. Then I dealt with very bad cramping so I would suggest you take pain medication if offered even if you don't use it. I did not and let me tell you Tylenol PM didn't even touch the cramps I was having. I also vomited more than a couple of times, but I think this was more from the pain than anything else. By the next morning, I was feeling much better. I still at this point haven't had any bleeding or discharge. I just wanted to mention the medication because if I had that, I'm sure it would have been a lot smoother of an evening.

Comment from: Jeepmama85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 31, mother of 2. I had endometrial ablation done on 05/16/16, and today is 06/01/16. Afterwards upon waking up which was very hard because I really didn't want to open my eyes, they told me I had been given a lot of anesthesia, why I don't know. I had mild cramping which got worse. They gave me pain medicine prescription, I only took 1. The cramps and pressure were horrible, lasted almost 2 weeks. Ever since I still have discharge, first was brownish now it's white to clear and very liquid like, feels as though I'm bleeding. I had just finished my period two days prior to the procedure so haven't bled yet but spotting a tiny bit. I hope it works. I have had very heavy bleeding and very bad cramps ever since I first got my period and after I had my second child every time after my period I get bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an endometrial ablation in February. I bled for a week after it, got my regular period two weeks later, and now I'm spotting every day. Think long and hard before doing this procedure. I wish I would have talked to more people, but I was desperate. I wanted to have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor told me to have the ablation first. I've talked to more people who have had problems with the procedure than success.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?