Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an endometrial ablation in February. I bled for a week after it, got my regular period two weeks later, and now I'm spotting every day. Think long and hard before doing this procedure. I wish I would have talked to more people, but I was desperate. I wanted to have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor told me to have the ablation first. I've talked to more people who have had problems with the procedure than success.

Comment from: Equiracer4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an endometrial ablation in 2007. I had a 10 year history of extreme bleeding/cramping and periods lasting 10 days. I was 46 at the time with 2 children. I was very anemic with no iron stores left. The procedure was done in outpatient surgery. I took a Motrin following the surgery. The cramping post operation was nothing like a normal period for me. I had scant spotting on/off for a few months but no more periods. Best thing I ever did.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Thursday (4 days ago). Procedure went fine, they weren't sure if it would, due to my uterus being retroverted. I woke up with really bad cramping which continued through the night. Next day I had no cramping and very minimal watery discharge. Bleeding was very faint and only lasted for the first night. Feels good. I have headaches but apart from that so far so good. They removed a polyp also so I am waiting on results. Fingers crossed but so far so good.

Comment from: brashears, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I used the bathroom and my stools were watery and red. I saw blood.

Comment from: CanEastener, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in February 2015. The reason for the ablation was to stop heavy bleeding that had started early September 2014 until the procedure. I had general anesthesia which left me light headed for weeks, with headaches. Only some light watery discharge for about two weeks and a foul odor. No bleeding since procedure which is great but there is still some odor, I figure this is normal. I still do have symptoms of having a period but without bleeding, usually bloating and sore heavy breasts. I'm fine with that as long as I don't bleed anymore. Sorry to hear some of you are going through such misery. Take care and all the best.

Comment from: Sallyp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation at the beginning of October under general anesthetic. I had very slight cramps on day one of the operation but mainly felt very tired for the next few days. I had watery reddish discharge for a couple of weeks and nothing since. Hoping my periods don't return and generally very pleased not to have to worry about constant heavy periods anymore. Pleased so far with the results.

Comment from: Missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation in 2007. I have been without any periods since then; it was the best thing I ever did. However as of late I am experiencing lower back cramps and bloating. I am not sure what this means but I intend to go to my doctor this week.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago but have been experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen and feel bloated since having this procedure done. I have been to the doctors and they have carried out some blood tests. I got a call today to ask me to go and have some more tests done next week as doctor was worried. Now I am worrying terribly, as I had this procedure done to stop the horrific bleeding which I was getting nearly every day for months. It was so bad I had to miss a terrible amount of time off work that in the end I had to leave.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?