Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had endometrial ablation on May 3rd, 2016. I had bad cramps and light bleeding for about 3 weeks. Then I had my regular period on June 19th, and it has been just as heavy as it was before I had the procedure, so I'm not sure if this helped me at all!

Comment from: Tjoyce2016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure almost 48 hours ago. After the procedure which I was told went well, I was fine until about an hour or two later. Then I dealt with very bad cramping so I would suggest you take pain medication if offered even if you don't use it. I did not and let me tell you Tylenol PM didn't even touch the cramps I was having. I also vomited more than a couple of times, but I think this was more from the pain than anything else. By the next morning, I was feeling much better. I still at this point haven't had any bleeding or discharge. I just wanted to mention the medication because if I had that, I'm sure it would have been a lot smoother of an evening.

Comment from: Jeepmama85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 31, mother of 2. I had endometrial ablation done on 05/16/16, and today is 06/01/16. Afterwards upon waking up which was very hard because I really didn't want to open my eyes, they told me I had been given a lot of anesthesia, why I don't know. I had mild cramping which got worse. They gave me pain medicine prescription, I only took 1. The cramps and pressure were horrible, lasted almost 2 weeks. Ever since I still have discharge, first was brownish now it's white to clear and very liquid like, feels as though I'm bleeding. I had just finished my period two days prior to the procedure so haven't bled yet but spotting a tiny bit. I hope it works. I have had very heavy bleeding and very bad cramps ever since I first got my period and after I had my second child every time after my period I get bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an endometrial ablation in February. I bled for a week after it, got my regular period two weeks later, and now I'm spotting every day. Think long and hard before doing this procedure. I wish I would have talked to more people, but I was desperate. I wanted to have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor told me to have the ablation first. I've talked to more people who have had problems with the procedure than success.

Comment from: Equiracer4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an endometrial ablation in 2007. I had a 10 year history of extreme bleeding/cramping and periods lasting 10 days. I was 46 at the time with 2 children. I was very anemic with no iron stores left. The procedure was done in outpatient surgery. I took a Motrin following the surgery. The cramping post operation was nothing like a normal period for me. I had scant spotting on/off for a few months but no more periods. Best thing I ever did.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Thursday (4 days ago). Procedure went fine, they weren't sure if it would, due to my uterus being retroverted. I woke up with really bad cramping which continued through the night. Next day I had no cramping and very minimal watery discharge. Bleeding was very faint and only lasted for the first night. Feels good. I have headaches but apart from that so far so good. They removed a polyp also so I am waiting on results. Fingers crossed but so far so good.

Comment from: brashears, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I used the bathroom and my stools were watery and red. I saw blood.

Comment from: CanEastener, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in February 2015. The reason for the ablation was to stop heavy bleeding that had started early September 2014 until the procedure. I had general anesthesia which left me light headed for weeks, with headaches. Only some light watery discharge for about two weeks and a foul odor. No bleeding since procedure which is great but there is still some odor, I figure this is normal. I still do have symptoms of having a period but without bleeding, usually bloating and sore heavy breasts. I'm fine with that as long as I don't bleed anymore. Sorry to hear some of you are going through such misery. Take care and all the best.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?