Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: happy75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had NovaSure ablation 11 days ago. Eighteen hours of cramps that didn"t stop on the day of the procedure. That eased up by day 2. I found that the more I did the more likely I was to have cramps. I was extremely fatigued for about 7 days. Right now I am experiencing discharge that is getting heaver by the day. I have also noticed some swelling, like water retention in my abdomen and feet and hands. So far I am pleased. I was warned of the side effects of the procedure by my doctor.

Comment from: Ms. T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had NovaSure procedure done in August 2011. I was in severe pain (fetal position pain) yesterday, awakened to use the bathroom at 3:37 a.m. As I got up to flush, the toilet was full of blood, I have not seen blood since 2011. Of course I panicked until I read all of the posts. I do not have any health insurance at this time, someone had mentioned that the pain is indescribable, it is very excruciating. I am 50 and if I knew that this was going to happen I would have passed up the procedure.

Comment from: chi town girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had endometrial ablation done about six years ago due to heavy menstrual cycle. Well, the bleeding is very light, some months I see nothing. But the cramping is unbearable. I"m taking Aleve as a daily routine. I don"t like that, I never liked taking medicines. Next step is to contact my doctor and she has got to do something besides prescribe a prescription. This is a bitter sweet thing. No more bleeding but I have excruciating pain.

Comment from: Twinks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the D&C and thermal uterine ablation 8 days ago. I had severe anemia, always hospitalized, blood transfusions and iron infusions. Horrible and long periods with orange size blood clots. Bleeding more days in the month than not. I tried many things to get this under control but nothing seemed to work. My doctor suggested this surgery and it sounded good. I did a little research and it seemed like a good choice not to have a period again or at least have one much lighter than my normal. (I only wish I would have found this site before I had it done). After the surgery in recovery I was in a lot of pain. The pain got worse so they had to give me 3 shots of morphine over a period of time before all pain went away. I left hospital a few hours after with very little to no pain. In these 8 days I started out with constant headaches but they lasted a few days. Lower stomach pain, back pain (mainly in the evening and night) happens just about daily. What"s weird is my stomach and vagina area feel like they are burning so I put an ice pack on my stomach for up to an hour and it usually helps a great deal. The intensity of the burning has gotten less but still burns. Ice pack does help. I have no bleeding, a little discharge on the day of surgery. I wore pants for the first time today and the pressure against my stomach was painful and I had little bit of spotting. I will stick with summer dresses for another week or so or until there is no pressure. Stomach is still swollen. Appetite has increased, I gained some weight. Taking it slow on returning to my normal activities. I want to allow my body recovery time before going back to gym, etc. I still get tired but not as often or as long. Overall it"s a good thing. I go back to the obstetrician in 8 more days for 2-week follow-up appointment.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation yesterday. I woke up feeling great, felt no pain. I was expecting to be bleeding lots and really had very minimal bleeding after the surgery and nothing since. I haven"t had to take anything for the pain and am feeling great today. Hope this lasts and it's the end of my long trial with my heavy periods, anemia, etc.

Comment from: jennyzp6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the surgery endometrial hydro ablation three weeks ago and have not a single problem. Pressure free days after and no bleeding at all. I"m so grateful for this procedure and to not be bleeding like crazy.

Comment from: 54 YO female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an endometrial ablation 4 years ago and never had a single problem. The heavy periods stopped immediately, no spotting, nothing. I am thrilled with the results and wish I would have had it done sooner!

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?