Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago but have been experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen and feel bloated since having this procedure done. I have been to the doctors and they have carried out some blood tests. I got a call today to ask me to go and have some more tests done next week as doctor was worried. Now I am worrying terribly, as I had this procedure done to stop the horrific bleeding which I was getting nearly every day for months. It was so bad I had to miss a terrible amount of time off work that in the end I had to leave.

Comment from: AGNP2015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my endometrial ablation January of 2012. I elected to have this procedure done because of uterine fibroids which caused considerable pain and excessive bleeding. I was weak and had anemia so I proceeded with this process. I experienced mild cramping post procedure and took some ibuprofen. For a week or so I experienced clear vaginal discharge and that was it. No more menstrual cycles. Fortunately, my physician also performed a tubal ligation on me to prevent future pregnancy. No more problems since this procedure.

Comment from: mrstee9/23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure on November 4 and was awake for the whole entire 90 second procedure. Other than the initial pain during the procedure I haven't experienced anything else. The pain stopped almost immediately after procedure was over, and there was some light bleeding the day of the procedure but none since. I haven't had to take any of the pain medications they prescribed me thus far. Only thing I have noticed is frequent urination, bloating like my abdomen is full of air and gas, and the urge to have a bowel movement (which I guess is also a good thing since I'm usually always constipated due to irritable bowel syndrome). I hope putting my body through this was worth it. We shall see, it's still too early in the process.

Comment from: tammerlynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation procedure performed 9 days ago using NovaSure under general anesthesia. I had no pain and very minor intermittent cramping first day. There was no need for medicines. I had very light watery/bloody discharge first week, then clear. The only side effect I'm experiencing is stomach bloat, particularly after I eat. Could be the anesthesia is still working out of my system as I am petite. I will discuss with physician at post-operation checkup.

Comment from: Nandin, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation on the 18th and I have been bleeding ever since. My doctor is so full of herself, patting herself on her back because it's 'the best one she's ever done!' that she doesn't care that I had cervicitis, a urinary tract infection and constant bleeding. I'm seeing a pain management doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: tunatuna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had endometrial ablation procedure done yesterday afternoon amongst other bits and pieces like a biopsy, which they carried out at the same time under general anesthesia. The after pain was described to me as being like a period pain. However, think more mid to end waves of the childbirth scale and you are getting there. It is absolutely excruciating. I have given birth 4 times, one without pain relief and believe me this is much worse! My stomach has swelled to at least three times its size. I have hardly bled at all since, just a light watery pink discharge. I was given no after care advice or pain relief on leaving the hospital. I asked about baths and they said they were fine, I have read elsewhere much that contradicts this including the actual leaflet. I realize it is still early days and not everyone will experience this.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my endometrial ablation with general anesthesia at age 43. I had moderate cramps for approximately three days. After the first month I was immediately thankful for the surgery. I have no more heavy bleeding! The bleeding is so light I can use a panty liner. No side effects and it was the best decision I could have made!

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?