Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: Kari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an endometrial ablation March 2016 for extremely heavy bleeding that I had for about two years (I'm 42). I also had a fibroid removed and a D and C. I was put under for the procedure and due to pain management woke up feeling great. For the next 4 or 5 weeks I had slight watery bloody discharge but no big deal, could wear a panty liner. About the time I would normally get my period I got cramps so bad I was doubled over and had to leave work. Advil wouldn't even take care of it and I can take a lot of pain but this was bad. I'm still having a monthly period, but now what I would call a normal flow, but still bad cramping, worse than before the ablation. I'm being told by my gynecologist that you have to give an ablation 6 to 9 months to see the full effect. I'm on month 4. I'm still holding out hope that it'll work but not holding my breath at this point. I, like others on here, am regretting doing it in the first place.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had endometrial ablation on May 3rd, 2016. I had bad cramps and light bleeding for about 3 weeks. Then I had my regular period on June 19th, and it has been just as heavy as it was before I had the procedure, so I'm not sure if this helped me at all!

Comment from: Tjoyce2016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure almost 48 hours ago. After the procedure which I was told went well, I was fine until about an hour or two later. Then I dealt with very bad cramping so I would suggest you take pain medication if offered even if you don't use it. I did not and let me tell you Tylenol PM didn't even touch the cramps I was having. I also vomited more than a couple of times, but I think this was more from the pain than anything else. By the next morning, I was feeling much better. I still at this point haven't had any bleeding or discharge. I just wanted to mention the medication because if I had that, I'm sure it would have been a lot smoother of an evening.

Comment from: Jeepmama85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 31, mother of 2. I had endometrial ablation done on 05/16/16, and today is 06/01/16. Afterwards upon waking up which was very hard because I really didn't want to open my eyes, they told me I had been given a lot of anesthesia, why I don't know. I had mild cramping which got worse. They gave me pain medicine prescription, I only took 1. The cramps and pressure were horrible, lasted almost 2 weeks. Ever since I still have discharge, first was brownish now it's white to clear and very liquid like, feels as though I'm bleeding. I had just finished my period two days prior to the procedure so haven't bled yet but spotting a tiny bit. I hope it works. I have had very heavy bleeding and very bad cramps ever since I first got my period and after I had my second child every time after my period I get bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an endometrial ablation in February. I bled for a week after it, got my regular period two weeks later, and now I'm spotting every day. Think long and hard before doing this procedure. I wish I would have talked to more people, but I was desperate. I wanted to have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor told me to have the ablation first. I've talked to more people who have had problems with the procedure than success.

Comment from: Equiracer4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an endometrial ablation in 2007. I had a 10 year history of extreme bleeding/cramping and periods lasting 10 days. I was 46 at the time with 2 children. I was very anemic with no iron stores left. The procedure was done in outpatient surgery. I took a Motrin following the surgery. The cramping post operation was nothing like a normal period for me. I had scant spotting on/off for a few months but no more periods. Best thing I ever did.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Thursday (4 days ago). Procedure went fine, they weren't sure if it would, due to my uterus being retroverted. I woke up with really bad cramping which continued through the night. Next day I had no cramping and very minimal watery discharge. Bleeding was very faint and only lasted for the first night. Feels good. I have headaches but apart from that so far so good. They removed a polyp also so I am waiting on results. Fingers crossed but so far so good.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?