Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: brashears, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I used the bathroom and my stools were watery and red. I saw blood.

Comment from: CanEastener, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in February 2015. The reason for the ablation was to stop heavy bleeding that had started early September 2014 until the procedure. I had general anesthesia which left me light headed for weeks, with headaches. Only some light watery discharge for about two weeks and a foul odor. No bleeding since procedure which is great but there is still some odor, I figure this is normal. I still do have symptoms of having a period but without bleeding, usually bloating and sore heavy breasts. I'm fine with that as long as I don't bleed anymore. Sorry to hear some of you are going through such misery. Take care and all the best.

Comment from: Sallyp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation at the beginning of October under general anesthetic. I had very slight cramps on day one of the operation but mainly felt very tired for the next few days. I had watery reddish discharge for a couple of weeks and nothing since. Hoping my periods don't return and generally very pleased not to have to worry about constant heavy periods anymore. Pleased so far with the results.

Comment from: Missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation in 2007. I have been without any periods since then; it was the best thing I ever did. However as of late I am experiencing lower back cramps and bloating. I am not sure what this means but I intend to go to my doctor this week.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago but have been experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen and feel bloated since having this procedure done. I have been to the doctors and they have carried out some blood tests. I got a call today to ask me to go and have some more tests done next week as doctor was worried. Now I am worrying terribly, as I had this procedure done to stop the horrific bleeding which I was getting nearly every day for months. It was so bad I had to miss a terrible amount of time off work that in the end I had to leave.

Comment from: AGNP2015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my endometrial ablation January of 2012. I elected to have this procedure done because of uterine fibroids which caused considerable pain and excessive bleeding. I was weak and had anemia so I proceeded with this process. I experienced mild cramping post procedure and took some ibuprofen. For a week or so I experienced clear vaginal discharge and that was it. No more menstrual cycles. Fortunately, my physician also performed a tubal ligation on me to prevent future pregnancy. No more problems since this procedure.

Comment from: mrstee9/23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure on November 4 and was awake for the whole entire 90 second procedure. Other than the initial pain during the procedure I haven't experienced anything else. The pain stopped almost immediately after procedure was over, and there was some light bleeding the day of the procedure but none since. I haven't had to take any of the pain medications they prescribed me thus far. Only thing I have noticed is frequent urination, bloating like my abdomen is full of air and gas, and the urge to have a bowel movement (which I guess is also a good thing since I'm usually always constipated due to irritable bowel syndrome). I hope putting my body through this was worth it. We shall see, it's still too early in the process.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?