Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Comment from: Merdi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In 2010, I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure, due to heavy bleeding and no other methods worked. My doctor finally suggested the NovaSure procedure. It was very painful afterwards and I had watery bleeding for a few days. I continued to have light periods without any problems. For the last two months, I have symptoms of a cycle but no bleeding. I don't know if it is menopause or the NovaSure, but I am happy either way. This procedure is great!

Comment from: Lisa65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an endometrial ablation in May 2016 for very long cycles that were heavy and with clots! After July I didn't have a period for 3 months, I was so happy, then November I started my period which was a week long. It was not bad but now from December 19 till now, January 15 I've been bleeding off and on for the past month. It is heavy and I just can't take it anymore so I'm calling my obstetrician/gynecologist in the morning to insist on a hysterectomy; even though I don't want to, it's my only choice! I'm 51 and I was hoping it would be slowing down because of my age!

Comment from: MimiMeow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done two days ago, November 28, 2016, so far so good. I have a little bit of bleeding, almost no discharge! The beginning of my period was right around the day of my surgery, and I am feeling bloated, moody, and have some pain in my uterus. I'm not sure if these are post-surgery side effects or my period. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: Peaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done in May. I still bleed heavy on my 2nd day, the cramps are out of this world. It feels like contractions. I need the next procedure.

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in 2010. Within 48 hours I was fighting for my life with sepsis due to internal injury. I had to undergo an emergency hysterectomy which I was begging for, but was told no to. I am now in a wheelchair and in chronic pain. I have severe abdominal adhesions and chronic pelvic pain. This operation ruined my life and that of my family.

Comment from: dboyd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my endometrial ablation 8/12 in my doctor's office. So far it has been wonderful. I feel fine. Back to work today. I stayed busy all weekend. I was given Percocet and Valium to take before I went into the office. I only took one of the Valium and I wish I hadn't taken that one. It had been 30 years since I was give my one and only other Valium and I remember I didn't like it then either. After one last pregnancy test (drew blood) and then an intramuscular shot of Toradol, I was given about an hour to rest and let the medicines take effect. I was very prepared and knew exactly what to expect. I have a high pain tolerance so I was fine throughout the procedure. I even got to see the inside of my uterus before and after, on the monitor. I was, however, surprised to feel the heat as much as I did. Still for me it was very bearable and the slight cramping stopped immediately. My blood pressure was less after than before the procedure! I rested that afternoon and evening, but still made myself dinner and felt fine. I took Tylenol just as a precaution before bed the first night. I did everything I would normally do this weekend, cooking and cleaning. I'm back to work today, Monday. I am having the expected watery pink to brownish discharge but that is light. I hope I keep doing well and never have another period! I am sorry that so many of you have had problems. I thought it might be helpful to have another good review out here.

Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?