Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: findingpeace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Friday, October 30, 2015. The worst part of the whole procedure was the fasting! The procedure (I also had hysteroscopy) went well, the results of the hysteroscopy were benign and recovery was a breeze. I took one Percocet and then took ibuprofen for 2 days. I continue to have very light watery discharge, but it hasn't even been a week. I was back to work on Monday and have had no cramping or other side effects. Given my previous history of heavy cramping and torrential bleeding, this seems to be the best thing I could have done! I did have the procedure done on the first day of my menses, just happened, did not schedule it to be so, and still no bleeding issues.

Comment from: Cinders50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had my endometrial ablation in March this year (I'm 50). All ok straight after, no period and no cramping. By July I had started having such horrific pain I can't tell you, like established labor. All I can do is lie in bed in a fetal position with a hot water bottle and loads of pain killers which don't touch it, only make me feel sick and sleepy. This can last 3 days or more, I have had to miss work so many times or been sent home. I only get spotting, not full periods, but I wish I'd never had it done, give me the heavy bleeding and less pain anytime, at least I can function in a normal way! Pain is like nothing I've experienced apart from giving birth. I am going to go back to the doctors (again) to beg for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: 8IsEnough4Me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an endometrial ablation done under anesthesia at the hospital on September 28, 2015. I woke in excruciating pain and felt like I was in labor and about to deliver. I was nauseous and dry heaving. The nurse gave me two doses totaling 100 cc of some kind of pain medicine via IV, but then resorted to two doses of morphine via IV, but neither gave me any relief. Finally, after about an hour, she called my doctor, who ordered 10 mg Norco. It wasn't until about 20 minutes after taking the Norco, which I broke in half for faster absorbency, that I started to feel a slight reduction in pain. I was nauseous and in pain for the first week. I had pink, watery discharge for the first 24 hours, then nothing for several days. Suddenly, a clear, watery discharge came abundantly and on day 13 (today) it is still abundant. I am looking forward to seeing how well this procedure reduces or eliminates pain and bleeding during my cycles. I am 44 years old and have eight children, so according to the statistics, I have a 16 percent to 30 percent chance of requiring a second ablation or other procedure, ugh! I hope I never have to have it done again; I'd rather give birth!

Comment from: DawnG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had endometrial ablation done in April of 2009. The pain afterward was awful, but I went home, and slept most of the day, and have not had one problem since! I have not had any spotting, or bleeding since that day. No bloating, pain or anything. It has been the best thing that I have done yet! Now if I can only get through menopause, and stop these hot flashes!

Comment from: patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I've had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done in 01/2012 and I have not had any problems so far and I have not had a period since. I am sorry you all have had such bad experiences with this.

Comment from: TAH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had an endometrial ablation in April. My last bleeding was in June but I have started again today. I am not sure if this is normal or whether it is the start of troubled periods again.

Comment from: missymoo5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had the endometrial ablation 1 week ago. I was awake through the 10 minutes, but given Valium through an IV. I had severe cramping for about 6 hours after, but then it stopped and I've had no pain since. No bleeding, just the watery discharge which is very light. I am due to have my period in the next few days, not sure if it will happen or not. So far, so good!

Comment from: MissChief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation in 2011 and thought it was wonderful, for about 4 years. But suddenly I have started having the most painful periods that I could imagine. I had 2 kids without any pain medicines, and would rather do that than have another period, they are that painful. I have also experienced pain between periods. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ablation, I have been to numerous doctors and they can't seem to find anything, but will probably have to undergo a hysterectomy in the near future.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?