Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I've had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done in 01/2012 and I have not had any problems so far and I have not had a period since. I am sorry you all have had such bad experiences with this.

Comment from: missymoo5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had the endometrial ablation 1 week ago. I was awake through the 10 minutes, but given Valium through an IV. I had severe cramping for about 6 hours after, but then it stopped and I've had no pain since. No bleeding, just the watery discharge which is very light. I am due to have my period in the next few days, not sure if it will happen or not. So far, so good!

Comment from: MissChief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation in 2011 and thought it was wonderful, for about 4 years. But suddenly I have started having the most painful periods that I could imagine. I had 2 kids without any pain medicines, and would rather do that than have another period, they are that painful. I have also experienced pain between periods. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ablation, I have been to numerous doctors and they can't seem to find anything, but will probably have to undergo a hysterectomy in the near future.

Comment from: Felicia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had an endometrial ablation done back in 2007 and it went very well! The procedure was done in the office on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday! This was the best thing I have ever done for myself, and I am so very glad I did it. Now and then I have what seems like a period but it is very mild, just a little pain like cramps and very mild spotting. And it only happens about 2 or 3 times a year, and has only happened once so far this year. It is not for everyone, and I was told that in some cases it does have to be done again after a few years, but I have been very fortunate that the entire experience has been great and I am very happy that I did it!

Comment from: Shaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had endometrial ablation done last October and have suffered with back and groin pain since. I have had physiotherapy and now having pain management epidural injection. Maybe I have a tear in my hip ligament.

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had the endometrial ablation last Thursday in office. Doctor gave me antibiotics and ibuprofen a day to start before the procedure. I went in at 10:30 am, took 1 mg Xanax and Phenergan and also Tylenol 3 prescribed by doctor. I chose the in-office procedure to save money and because my doctor said I could handle it. We started at noon. My ablation was 55 minutes long. It was painful only while it was on. If I could do over again, I would get anesthesia. I nearly hyper-ventilated. I have had no pain after. It was very intense.

Comment from: PhoenixChan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation 3 days ago. The pain the first day was horrific. I would have rather been in labor. That night and the second day I was constantly feeling sick to my stomach and vomiting. It is going on day 3 and I am still feeling like I need to vomit.

Comment from: smacd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in 2007, had no side effects aside from cramping for the first two days (ibuprofen helped that). I went from 1 week long heavy periods every two weeks to essentially nothing after the surgery. I was too young for a hysterectomy at the time so this is the option I took. They did say I may have to repeat the surgery in 5 years. It is 2015 (8 years after) and I'm just starting to get back my periods but they only last a couple of days. If I go back to heavy every two weeks before I reach menopause I will consider doing the surgery again over a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Jodaline, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I underwent endometrial ablation this morning (May 26, 2015) due to heavy periods and large fibroids. I was put under and the procedure lasted about 30 minutes. I had minor bleeding and absolutely no cramping at all, just a little tightness when bending over or stretching to reach something. So far so good. After reading all of these reviews, I was a bit hesitant on going through with this mainly because the majority of these reviews were negative. But I'm happy to say that all is good so far for the first 15 hours.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?