Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure done in January 2009 and it took away my moisture. I've never needed any help before and now I have to use K-Y jelly during intercourse.

Comment from: Mills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation on the 3/3/2016. I am 31 and after 18 years off horrible heavy periods with just 3 days a month with no bleeding I feel the healthiest I have ever been. I understand that it doesn't cure my polycystic ovarian syndrome but since this procedure I haven't had any pain, etc. Best thing ever. The only downfall is that I have never had children but glad I am now healthy.

Comment from: Menopausalmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in July 2015. I was told I would bleed post operation for maybe 3 weeks. It lasted 10 weeks. The post operation bloating was beyond horrible. After 10 weeks of post operation bleeding, I still got my period every 26 days in October, November, and December but bleeding was significantly less than I was used to. I'm 52, so I considered this a success until I can reach menopause. In January and February 2016 I had minimal spotting for my period and I thought it is finally going away! Then, I got cramps and a regular period in March. I just got my period this month (April 2016) and was brought to tears by the cramps last night. I refuse to get on a scale, but have definitely gained weight in my stomach since the procedure, as I've had to buy new pants. If we didn't have a high insurance deductible, I would be insisting on a hysterectomy. Crazy that I still have to deal with bleeding and debilitating cramps at 52 years old.

Comment from: Everydaygirly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done yesterday morning (day 2 of period) in the hospital along with hysteroscopy. I was out for about an hour. I woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and was immediately given a Percocet along with a prescription for Percocet which helped pretty quickly. I had blood spotting rest of the day (stark contrast to heavy bleeding and clots that I went in with) and continued to take Percocet every 4 hours, and rested most the day. Today I feel great! I have two more days before I go to work though, so am continuing to rest but I won't need any more Percocet unless things change. I am 34 years old with one child, hope the heavy bleeding and premenstrual syndrome have gone for good!

Comment from: Chesirkity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have rheumatoid arthritis and a ganglion cyst on my finger. I had it drained, only to have it return within 4 weeks. It is very sensitive to touch and the doctor suggested seeing a surgeon to remove it.

Comment from: kk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation done when I was 34, had two kids, and was married. My marriage ended and one of my children died. I remarried and wanted another child desperately, but the ablation worked extremely well and I have had no periods for nearly 5 years. My advice to ladies is to think very carefully about ending your fertility. You never know what the future will bring. I regret it every day.

Comment from: mah3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had an endometrial ablation done in 2011. When I urinate I sometime see what appears to be shedding skin.

Comment from: Nic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a thermal endometrial ablation with a local anesthetic on 1.12.15. I bled for two weeks and the period returned to normal end of December. Period was on time January, February and March with no improvement. I am going back in today under general anesthesia for trans-cervical resection as an alternative to a hysterectomy. I only hope it works.

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

No side effects. The best decision for me. I had the endometrial ablation in January of 2015. It has been over a year now and the ablation to me was very successful. I had very heavy periods that went for ten days. Now they are light and are only three days. I was told I was a good candidate for this procedure because of my age. I was 49 at the time of surgery. I still have my hormones! My doctor told me to keep my hormones as long as I can.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?