Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Mckit2u, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation (due to heavy menstrual bleeding) back in May 2013. I have a high tolerance to pain medications and was given 4 different pain killers that did nothing for me. The doctor stated she was pulling fibroids and polyps out my uterus before the procedure, which I could feel everything. I then underwent the 90 second procedure in which I felt everything she was doing to me, as tears were rolling down my face. It was the worst feeling ever. I was in pain for several days after the procedure. I was never called back in for a follow up appointment following the procedure. Now, here I am almost a year later, my periods are getting lighter to the point of nothing and darker in color, but the pain I am experiencing is beyond anything I can really explain. I am literally in a fetal position with pain. Nothing OTC will help alleviate the pain. I am now sure after doing some research I have post ablation syndrome or even hematometra. This would explain the pain I have each month in my pelvic area.

Comment from: Ziggygal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had the endometrial ablation procedure on Wednesday and the immense pain straight after was excruciating, coupled with constant need to urinate. Now it is Friday and I'm still in pain and have pain in my left arm (not worried about that yet). I"m hoping this operation has been for the best; fingers crossed. I"m usually okay with pain but wow!

Comment from: Louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had a hysteroscopy and endometrial ablation 5 days ago. The pain when I awoke from general anesthesia was horrific, I have had children and appendicitis and gall bladder removal but, boy, this post-surgical pain was a 10/10. Day 2, I had horrific pain, discharge, and diarrhea. Day 3, I had less pain and discharge. Day 4, I had intense cramping leaving me unable to stand up straight. Day 5, I have heavy bleeding and discharge and intense cramps. Wondering if this is now my life, I didn"t suffer with cramps before, just 2 cycles per month. What have I done, and will it be worth it!

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had endometrial ablation and I feel great. I did not have any pain except for a few mild cramps and have not taken any antibiotics. The best thing that ever happened to me. I woke up from surgery wondering if they really gave me surgery but since I do not have a period anymore I know they did.

Comment from: tawnydawny21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my ablation done 3/20/13. Recovery time was very minimal. As a matter of fact, I was able to return to my normal daily activities the following day and I never required any sort of pain medicine. It has now been over a year and until recently I have not had any bleeding what so ever. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some spotting. It lasted for about a day and then it went away. However, I started bleeding yesterday and it seems to be pretty heavy. I have an appointment to see my doctor, but I was just wondering if anybody else has this happen to them.

Comment from: RW247, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation carried out in Oct 2013. I chose not to have general anesthesia, but I wouldn"t do that again. The procedure was only a couple of minutes, it was the worst pain I"ve ever experienced. Even above the 3 day inducement pain of labor. I had a slight cramp for a few days then no bleeding for 6 months. Some smell occasionally post sex. In the last few days I"ve had water discharge and today terrible cramps and back pain. I just realized I"m bleeding.

Comment from: Andyypandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My periods were about every 3 to 6 months, then in November I had my period. This was the worst time ever, heavy clots going to the toilet every 20 minutes. I went on two tablets to try and stop it, but they didn"t work. Then in February, I just didn"t feel right. I went to Accident & Emergency, they said I had lost so much blood, which was making my heart pump faster. So after giving me a drip and a scan, they found fibroids. I had endometrial ablation done under local anesthetic, it was the worst pain I ever had. Four weeks later I am still having pinkish discharge. Beforehand the consultant said it will take 4 weeks to get back to normal. After procedure, a different consultant said 6 months. After having period for 6 months I am fed up of wearing pads, want to go swimming again.

Comment from: MamaLenore, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an endometrial ablation and tube (not tubes because I only have one) tied on February 7th 2014. The first 30 days were pretty nasty with the bleeding and odor. I kept waiting for the bleeding to stop and it did at the beginning of March. I was so excited not to have that heavy period getting in the way. But that only lasted the month of March. Here we are in April and just out of the blue, the bleeding came back for a visit. I guess it didn"t work or maybe this will be the final period. I have some cramping, bloating and a slight headache.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?