Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial ablation done on January 10th. I have been bleeding nonstop since. I was told it was normal, now that my period has come it has gotten worse and is still heavy with clots. All my life I have had bad periods, I'd pass golf ball size clots the whole time and it would be super heavy. I am worried that I have had a period for 10 days and was bleeding before I actually started.

Comment from: Sharona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done over 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. I had heavy, clotted bleeding and severe pain every month. My cramps were so bad that I would curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I surely didn't want to go shopping or out with friends. I came across a brochure for NovaSure in another doctor's office. I took it to my obstetrician/gynecologist and asked if she could perform it on me. It was a simple 15 minute procedure that she was able to do in her office. I had a few days of watery discharge and a very light period that month. I had a lighter period the next month and then it stopped altogether. It was great!

Comment from: Stillwaiting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in December 2016. The first 6 hours after were the most excruciating cramps I have ever had. They sent me home with ibuprofen and it did nothing. At one point I lay on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat, shaking and ready to pass out for over an hour. After about 6 hours the pain finally subsided but it took me another 3 days to get my strength back. I've had the watery discharge ever since and 2 heavy periods. As far as I can tell, the procedure did not do much for me. I'm hoping a little time will change that.

Comment from: Stillinpian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done last April and I am experiencing weight gain and cramping as if I feel I need to have my period. I am bloated and have sharp pains at times. I am waiting to see my doctor to have a hysterectomy. Although this procedure was done on my sister 9 years ago without any issues it was not good for me.

Comment from: NotCumming, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I thank everyone for sharing. I had an endometrial ablation on November 22nd of 2016. I am feeling well, and still have a period although lighter and more manageable. My issue is that sexually I am numb post operation. I had no issue reaching 5 or 6 times great climaxes every single time, my husband had it down to a science. Now they are light little flutters that barely count, and they take some work to achieve. Also I asked my doctor and he stated that this was psychological which I think is bologna. I was sick with heavy periods, menorrhagia for 10 years. I would not have done this surgery had I known this was a side effect. I am strongly evaluating seeking legal counsel

Comment from: MelissaMommyto5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I'm 6 days post endometrial ablation and had a super-fab recovery thus far. I took pain medication immediately upon dismissal from the hospital and again 6 hours later just anticipating waves of uncontrollable pain, but it never came (yay for catching a break finally). Thus far the watery discharge is the primary side effect and it isn't problematic levels, I'd take it any day over bleeding clots the size of pinkie fingers. I was very discouraged pre-operation about the number of unsuccessful cases I had read about, but I'm hopeful that this less-invasive procedure can prevent the need for a hysterectomy at 41. Good luck everyone!

Comment from: Lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had endometrial ablation done 3 weeks ago. I had slight cramping when I woke but that's about it. I bled for about 3 days then had the discharge. About 10 days later I started bleeding again and it hasn't stopped. I'm hoping it will stop soon as I'm feeling very lethargic so I've had to start taking iron tablets.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm on day 12 after NovaSure endometrial ablation. I thought things were going well though I did contact my doctor on day eight to say the discharge was so foul smelling. He wasn't concerned. Last three days have been awful. I have pain and bloating. Discharge seems worst in the night, I'm having to get up two to three times to change pads. I was hoping I could get back to work but just don't know at the moment. C-section was easier than this.

Comment from: kellykel1124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had the endometrial ablation a little over a year ago and I have worse periods than I had before. I have bleeding all month long and only a few days with no blood at all. This is awful. I went back to my doctor who said that all of my lining did not get removed from the ablation and that is why I am having the bleeding all month long.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?