Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Kelloggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in April 2015. I had the procedure done in their office. I did not go under, just had local anesthesia. It did not hurt me at all, just felt a little pressure (I have extremely high tolerance for pain). I was given pain killers for home. I only took 2 out of the bottle. Right after the procedure was done they gave me a pad for any bleeding I may have. I had one spot of blood when I got home. I have had no pain since the procedure and I have not had any signs of my period since before I had it done. It was the best thing I could have had done. I started menopause at the age of 42 and it started with really bad hot flashes and getting my period twice a month, a full week of heavy bleeding (I used to only have 3 days and always light). By the time I was 44 I was having my period 3 full weeks of every month. I am glad I have done this procedure and that it was a success for me.

Comment from: SwtBrnSugah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 2/23/2014. I took painkillers prior to procedure and one after. I did not feel pain, just a slight soreness. I had a light watery discharge for 2 days and then nothing. I have not had a menstrual period since. I think the key was I had the procedure done shortly after my period.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial ablation done on January 10th. I have been bleeding nonstop since. I was told it was normal, now that my period has come it has gotten worse and is still heavy with clots. All my life I have had bad periods, I'd pass golf ball size clots the whole time and it would be super heavy. I am worried that I have had a period for 10 days and was bleeding before I actually started.

Comment from: Sharona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done over 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. I had heavy, clotted bleeding and severe pain every month. My cramps were so bad that I would curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I surely didn't want to go shopping or out with friends. I came across a brochure for NovaSure in another doctor's office. I took it to my obstetrician/gynecologist and asked if she could perform it on me. It was a simple 15 minute procedure that she was able to do in her office. I had a few days of watery discharge and a very light period that month. I had a lighter period the next month and then it stopped altogether. It was great!

Comment from: Stillwaiting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in December 2016. The first 6 hours after were the most excruciating cramps I have ever had. They sent me home with ibuprofen and it did nothing. At one point I lay on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat, shaking and ready to pass out for over an hour. After about 6 hours the pain finally subsided but it took me another 3 days to get my strength back. I've had the watery discharge ever since and 2 heavy periods. As far as I can tell, the procedure did not do much for me. I'm hoping a little time will change that.

Comment from: LisaPepper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had an endometrial ablation and a large fibroid removal done two weeks ago. I had a little discharge, which is normal. I thought it was slowing down. Then yesterday, I woke up with period cramps and a bit more bleeding. Today the same thing. Not sure if I'm supposed to have my period because of all the trouble I had, I lost track of when I am supposed to start. I had very heavy bleeding for over a year. And when I say heavy, I mean, I had to get a blood transfusion; heavy. So I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. Hoped I was on the way to stop bleeding. Not sure if this is all the norm with ablations or not.

Comment from: Stillinpian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done last April and I am experiencing weight gain and cramping as if I feel I need to have my period. I am bloated and have sharp pains at times. I am waiting to see my doctor to have a hysterectomy. Although this procedure was done on my sister 9 years ago without any issues it was not good for me.

Comment from: NotCumming, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I thank everyone for sharing. I had an endometrial ablation on November 22nd of 2016. I am feeling well, and still have a period although lighter and more manageable. My issue is that sexually I am numb post operation. I had no issue reaching 5 or 6 times great climaxes every single time, my husband had it down to a science. Now they are light little flutters that barely count, and they take some work to achieve. Also I asked my doctor and he stated that this was psychological which I think is bologna. I was sick with heavy periods, menorrhagia for 10 years. I would not have done this surgery had I known this was a side effect. I am strongly evaluating seeking legal counsel

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?