Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: cmas17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had the Minerva endometrial ablation done yesterday. Though the numbing was extremely uncomfortable, it didn't take that long (a few minutes). The procedure itself again, while I cramped pretty good, only lasted 2 minutes. I lay down when I got home for a few hours and woke up with pretty bad menstrual-like cramps. I took one of the Vicodin pills they prescribed and it kicked in after about 20 minutes and I was able to fall back asleep. I slept through the night and woke up feeling fine this morning. No cramps. I didn't have any bleeding either, just a minimal watery and slightly pink discharge (not even enough to warrant a pad). I'm due to get my period in a couple of weeks and am hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones who never gets her period again (I know about 7 people who have had ablations and none of them has ever bled again). So far, so good!

Comment from: Not what I hoped for, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had the endometrial ablation done and multiple fibroids removed in December 2016. The procedure went well and recovery was quick (I went on a trip to Europe two days after surgery), but unfortunately the fibroids grew back in no time. My first period in January was already 4 heavy days and it got worse and more and more painful every month since. I'm back to 13 day periods. The gynecologist is now (6 months after surgery) recommending hysterectomy.

Comment from: nickeyp1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my endometrial ablation done June 1st, and am scheduled for my 2 week post follow up on June 15th. The day of the procedure was awful afterwards. I lay in bed for two days and had to take Norco for the pain. I'm still experiencing heavy cramping, watery pink discharge, dryness down there, burning, bloating and I'm tired come the afternoon. I will be discussing these things with my doctor this week, and I'm hoping after a few more weeks I go back to normal. I also feel like I have my period this week.

Comment from: Nannyfor3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I will be two weeks post an endometrial ablation tomorrow. The recovery was a lot worse than I was expecting. I had it done on a Friday, under anesthesia. I was there about 2 hours. I had issues with the anesthesia. I was in a lot of pain after the procedure (I have endometriosis so I'm used to lots of pain). I had a lot of pain and pressure for about 6 hours after the procedure with some light bleeding that lasted two days. I am still experiencing being really tired by the late afternoon. I believe I got my period one week after the procedure and it was light but still very painful! I had to end up taking a whole week off from work because though the pain wasn't that bad I found I was getting dizzy often. I still have a pink watery sometimes blood streaked discharge and some minor cramping and occasional pain.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had endometrial ablation done a year ago and a small fibroid removed as well. I have had no problems, it was a blessing for me! I am 49, pre-menopausal, and am very sexually active. Even more so now.

Comment from: edwlewis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I recently had the endometrial ablation on July 27, 2017. So far no issues or complications. However, many of these comments are scaring me. I am looking for information regarding weight gain. I am only 4 ft. 11 inches and I cannot afford to gain 50 lb.

Comment from: Jordy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Snorting Percocet works where the pain is. Only lasts 3 to 4 hours and the pain comes back.

Comment from: Kelloggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in April 2015. I had the procedure done in their office. I did not go under, just had local anesthesia. It did not hurt me at all, just felt a little pressure (I have extremely high tolerance for pain). I was given pain killers for home. I only took 2 out of the bottle. Right after the procedure was done they gave me a pad for any bleeding I may have. I had one spot of blood when I got home. I have had no pain since the procedure and I have not had any signs of my period since before I had it done. It was the best thing I could have had done. I started menopause at the age of 42 and it started with really bad hot flashes and getting my period twice a month, a full week of heavy bleeding (I used to only have 3 days and always light). By the time I was 44 I was having my period 3 full weeks of every month. I am glad I have done this procedure and that it was a success for me.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?