Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: MIchelleb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done on 8/2/16. I had my period at the time. They did it in my obstetrician/gynecologist's office. They gave me a few prescriptions (Xanax, Percocet, and a shot to the buttocks). Procedure was quick, not too painful, and same as a Pap smear test. I went in at 1ish and came home by 3. I slept until the next day. I woke up fine, no pain and no period. Today is day 2 and I still feel good.

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure done in January 2009 and it took away my moisture. I've never needed any help before and now I have to use K-Y jelly during intercourse.

Comment from: Mills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation on the 3/3/2016. I am 31 and after 18 years off horrible heavy periods with just 3 days a month with no bleeding I feel the healthiest I have ever been. I understand that it doesn't cure my polycystic ovarian syndrome but since this procedure I haven't had any pain, etc. Best thing ever. The only downfall is that I have never had children but glad I am now healthy.

Comment from: Menopausalmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in July 2015. I was told I would bleed post operation for maybe 3 weeks. It lasted 10 weeks. The post operation bloating was beyond horrible. After 10 weeks of post operation bleeding, I still got my period every 26 days in October, November, and December but bleeding was significantly less than I was used to. I'm 52, so I considered this a success until I can reach menopause. In January and February 2016 I had minimal spotting for my period and I thought it is finally going away! Then, I got cramps and a regular period in March. I just got my period this month (April 2016) and was brought to tears by the cramps last night. I refuse to get on a scale, but have definitely gained weight in my stomach since the procedure, as I've had to buy new pants. If we didn't have a high insurance deductible, I would be insisting on a hysterectomy. Crazy that I still have to deal with bleeding and debilitating cramps at 52 years old.

Comment from: Everydaygirly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done yesterday morning (day 2 of period) in the hospital along with hysteroscopy. I was out for about an hour. I woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and was immediately given a Percocet along with a prescription for Percocet which helped pretty quickly. I had blood spotting rest of the day (stark contrast to heavy bleeding and clots that I went in with) and continued to take Percocet every 4 hours, and rested most the day. Today I feel great! I have two more days before I go to work though, so am continuing to rest but I won't need any more Percocet unless things change. I am 34 years old with one child, hope the heavy bleeding and premenstrual syndrome have gone for good!

Comment from: dramainchicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had an endometrial ablation on 8/4 as well as had my fallopian tubes removed in the hospital in an outpatient procedure. After heavy cycles with horrible cramps from the time I was 13 and exhausting all other options next to hysterectomy this was what my doctor felt would best help me. I continued bleeding rather heavy that day and the following day it was lighter, then Saturday morning no bleeding. In fact the day of the procedure once I got home I had no cramping, just soreness from the incisions. However, Saturday night (last night) and this morning I have had bouts of debilitating cramps like I've had before and I am hoping it doesn't continue. I took two Percocet and that hasn't stopped the pain. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: kk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation done when I was 34, had two kids, and was married. My marriage ended and one of my children died. I remarried and wanted another child desperately, but the ablation worked extremely well and I have had no periods for nearly 5 years. My advice to ladies is to think very carefully about ending your fertility. You never know what the future will bring. I regret it every day.

Comment from: Chesirkity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have rheumatoid arthritis and a ganglion cyst on my finger. I had it drained, only to have it return within 4 weeks. It is very sensitive to touch and the doctor suggested seeing a surgeon to remove it.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?