Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Not what I hoped for, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had the endometrial ablation done and multiple fibroids removed in December 2016. The procedure went well and recovery was quick (I went on a trip to Europe two days after surgery), but unfortunately the fibroids grew back in no time. My first period in January was already 4 heavy days and it got worse and more and more painful every month since. I'm back to 13 day periods. The gynecologist is now (6 months after surgery) recommending hysterectomy.

Comment from: nickeyp1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my endometrial ablation done June 1st, and am scheduled for my 2 week post follow up on June 15th. The day of the procedure was awful afterwards. I lay in bed for two days and had to take Norco for the pain. I'm still experiencing heavy cramping, watery pink discharge, dryness down there, burning, bloating and I'm tired come the afternoon. I will be discussing these things with my doctor this week, and I'm hoping after a few more weeks I go back to normal. I also feel like I have my period this week.

Comment from: Nannyfor3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I will be two weeks post an endometrial ablation tomorrow. The recovery was a lot worse than I was expecting. I had it done on a Friday, under anesthesia. I was there about 2 hours. I had issues with the anesthesia. I was in a lot of pain after the procedure (I have endometriosis so I'm used to lots of pain). I had a lot of pain and pressure for about 6 hours after the procedure with some light bleeding that lasted two days. I am still experiencing being really tired by the late afternoon. I believe I got my period one week after the procedure and it was light but still very painful! I had to end up taking a whole week off from work because though the pain wasn't that bad I found I was getting dizzy often. I still have a pink watery sometimes blood streaked discharge and some minor cramping and occasional pain.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had endometrial ablation done a year ago and a small fibroid removed as well. I have had no problems, it was a blessing for me! I am 49, pre-menopausal, and am very sexually active. Even more so now.

Comment from: Kelloggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in April 2015. I had the procedure done in their office. I did not go under, just had local anesthesia. It did not hurt me at all, just felt a little pressure (I have extremely high tolerance for pain). I was given pain killers for home. I only took 2 out of the bottle. Right after the procedure was done they gave me a pad for any bleeding I may have. I had one spot of blood when I got home. I have had no pain since the procedure and I have not had any signs of my period since before I had it done. It was the best thing I could have had done. I started menopause at the age of 42 and it started with really bad hot flashes and getting my period twice a month, a full week of heavy bleeding (I used to only have 3 days and always light). By the time I was 44 I was having my period 3 full weeks of every month. I am glad I have done this procedure and that it was a success for me.

Comment from: Jordy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Snorting Percocet works where the pain is. Only lasts 3 to 4 hours and the pain comes back.

Comment from: SwtBrnSugah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 2/23/2014. I took painkillers prior to procedure and one after. I did not feel pain, just a slight soreness. I had a light watery discharge for 2 days and then nothing. I have not had a menstrual period since. I think the key was I had the procedure done shortly after my period.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial ablation done on January 10th. I have been bleeding nonstop since. I was told it was normal, now that my period has come it has gotten worse and is still heavy with clots. All my life I have had bad periods, I'd pass golf ball size clots the whole time and it would be super heavy. I am worried that I have had a period for 10 days and was bleeding before I actually started.

Comment from: Sharona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done over 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. I had heavy, clotted bleeding and severe pain every month. My cramps were so bad that I would curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I surely didn't want to go shopping or out with friends. I came across a brochure for NovaSure in another doctor's office. I took it to my obstetrician/gynecologist and asked if she could perform it on me. It was a simple 15 minute procedure that she was able to do in her office. I had a few days of watery discharge and a very light period that month. I had a lighter period the next month and then it stopped altogether. It was great!

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?