Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Mamamo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I'm 43, I had nueva sure done 3 years ago because of heavy bleeding which was caused from taking plavax. The result were fine I have periods still but very little bleeding and some cramping. Just since march I've gain 15 lbs and feel very bloated and can't sleep. My doc ordered an ultra sound which showed my uterus is 13 mm which is 3 x the size it should be. Well it shouldn't be at all because of the ablation. So I'm off to obgyn to get a biopsy. I'm thinking just give me a hysto. Right? They also saw fibroids . I'm a little worried about it being cancer. We have a lot in the family.

Comment from: Tcsims17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had this procedure 2 yrs ago. No bleeding, no wonderful sex life until 3 months ago. I have been bleeding EVERYDAY for the last 3 months. Bleeding is back with a vengeance! This procedure is a waste of time. It is so bad I had to break up with my boyfriend because I an unable to have intercourse due to the excessive bleeding, clots, and soiling of clothes on a daily basis.

Comment from: smcmooper621, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had an ablation six days ago. I had cramps afterwards, so I took pain meds. I've had hardly any discharge, but the doctor said it is possible to have a discharge for three weeks. However, I am finding that my lower back and legs are sore all the time now. I am active and walk every day. My legs and back just feel like there is constant pressure. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am now 44. I had the procedure done when I was 40. I have a high tolerance for pain. I rarely take any kind of pain meds – even after a procedure. When I woke up after the thermal ablation, it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. It was like having all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at once (with two dry sockets) x 10. It was a mixture of different cramping feelings. I literally begged for pain meds and cried for an hour before they gave me anything. The end results have been OK. I used to bleed for 7-8 days with heavy cramping and extreme fatigue. The fatigue is the same and I still have moderate cramping and weight gain, but the only period I get is a small amount of brown mucous stuff. I never need more than a panty liner. If I could have a redo, I would definitely opt for a hysterectomy instead. I tell everyone who mentions the procedure to me about the horrible experience I had.

Comment from: Disappointed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had an endometrial ablation in November 2011 due to heavy periods that caused me to be severely anemic. I have continued to have periods, just not as heavy. However, I now have bad cramps during my menstrual cycle. I believe that my periods are now getting heavy again. What's most depressing is the fact that I never really stop spotting, which is often a dark brown to almost black jelly-like substance. I wish that I would have just had a hysterectomy.

Comment from: chavezkellie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had an endometrial ablation done 20 years ago. It's the best thing I ever did. I had terrible cramps every month, along with heavy periods – and it cured both. I had to have a couple of spots redone a couple of years later and then I was good. Recently, I started having cramps and bleeding a little after sex; I'm now 55 years old. I have a doctor's appointment to find out what's going on. But I don't regret having it done. I wish I had done it sooner; I suffered needlessly for years.

Comment from: Lolo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an endometrial ablation procedure done about one year ago. I usually spot around the time my period is due until recently. I have been spotting now for about three weeks. I still get all the other PMS symptoms. I'm going back to doctor to see what other options I have. I'm thinking I may need a partial hysterectomy.

Comment from: Ropergrl2001, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had the ablation done last July, and the only issues I have is feeling bloated almost constantly like I did before I had it. Other than that I'm happy, and I'm not bleeding anymore.

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female Published: December 06

I am so grateful to my then doctor that suggested I should try the endometrial ablation and I did. I must say, that same night my family could not believe I went through this "small surgery", I even danced some salsa that night. It's been twelve years.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?