Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: happymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my endometrial ablation procedure over a year ago and couldn't be happier. My iron levels are up, I don't have to plan things around my period anymore, I don't have to call in sick at work or always worry that I might have "an accident". The only negative I would say is that if I do get cramps now I'm not sure what it's from or if I'm having an emotional day I'm not sure if it is due to my hormone levels or not.

Comment from: Bon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had ablation twice the first time after I had a DVT and it lasted almost five years with no bleeding then suddenly back with a vengeance I scheduled the second ablation right away and since then no bleeding and no symptoms either. Recovered the same day on each surgery with very little spotting. This is the best thing that I ever had done in my life. I suffered from terrible periods cramping heavy bleeding nausea sweating light headed. All gone I will be fifty in September and no periods for over 10 years except the one just before the second ablation.

Comment from: Surgery Bound, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had a D&C and endometrial ablation done 16 days ago. I sailed through the day surgery with minimal cramping afterward. However, I haven't stopped bleeding since. Its bright red blood and I go through 1-2 pads a day. I've been back to my surgeon out of concern about the bleeding. He tells me that my endometrial biopsy showed abnormal cells that if left untreated, have a high probability of developing into cancer of the uterus within 2-5 yrs. So now, I have to have a full hysterectomy with ovary removal as well. At least this will solve all my problems of heavy menstruation and unbearable cramping every 3-4 weeks. Surgery is in 7 weeks.

Comment from: pam3750, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

It's been almost six years since my endometrial ablation. The procedure itself was very easy and painless with minimal recovery time. I was teaching aerobics within back to normal a week to two weeks afterward. However, my period never stop , I was told I would go into menopause within two years , and I continue to get my period each month , heavy bleeding for the first three days with bad cramps and migraines I will be 48 years old. I was recently told I have fibroids. The procedure was just a Band-Aid I should have probably press for a hysterectomy instead. I'm praying I would get insurance to have it done.

Comment from: Sis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had the surgery last Nov. and days before my normal period would have started I get really bad cramps. The kind that make you want to curl up in a ball. I have a pink tint when it first starts and then it turns super dark red and last for 3 days. But it doesn't even fill a panty liner. It's worth not bleeding, but the cramps are worse than I can remember before. I had the hot water balloon surgery the same time I had bladder surgery. I'm 50 years old, hoping the cramps and discharge stop soon. I've noticed I've gained 5 lbs also. Just wondering if it's because I don't have a normal period anymore.

Comment from: justice1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had the procedure done 12 days ago and right now; I am not happy. I have been having a discharge ever since the procedure and now today (Aug 30th); I just started bleeding. I have been cramping as well. I want to know how long will I have this discharge. It is very annoying and depressing. I am very moody and irritated at the littlest things. There was another individual that had the same procedure and she bled the day of surgery and have been period free ever since. She was lucky.

Comment from: Von, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I'm 63, had some bleeding that was found to be a polyp and OBGYN removed the polyp and did the ablation at the same time. I was told that by removing the lining, it would prevent these polyps from growing back. Had a little cramping, took one pain pill, rested with legs up in recliner. Didn't have much bleeding or pain. Took it easy for first 2 weeks. The surgery was on July 7th, it is now Aug 14th and have been having a slightly urine color discharge. At 2 week check up I was examined and told things were looking normal and might experience discharge for as long as 2 months, but told that I could use tampons, so I have been. I thought I was long past this pad/tampon wearing stuff, but I'm hopeful that this discharge will be ending soon.

Comment from: Rosie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had the procedure done about a year and a half ago. Menstrual periods light to none. However I have discovered that is one is not sexually active, the lining that would normally be my period accumulates and when having sex I start bleeding. I believe the doctor said it was menstrual blood had pooled up. I was also given a medication to use to eliminate the odor that this issue causes. This has been the only issue I have experienced.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?