Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Von, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I'm 63, had some bleeding that was found to be a polyp and OBGYN removed the polyp and did the ablation at the same time. I was told that by removing the lining, it would prevent these polyps from growing back. Had a little cramping, took one pain pill, rested with legs up in recliner. Didn't have much bleeding or pain. Took it easy for first 2 weeks. The surgery was on July 7th, it is now Aug 14th and have been having a slightly urine color discharge. At 2 week check up I was examined and told things were looking normal and might experience discharge for as long as 2 months, but told that I could use tampons, so I have been. I thought I was long past this pad/tampon wearing stuff, but I'm hopeful that this discharge will be ending soon.

Comment from: Rosie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had the procedure done about a year and a half ago. Menstrual periods light to none. However I have discovered that is one is not sexually active, the lining that would normally be my period accumulates and when having sex I start bleeding. I believe the doctor said it was menstrual blood had pooled up. I was also given a medication to use to eliminate the odor that this issue causes. This has been the only issue I have experienced.

Comment from: home mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

It's been almost two years since my endometrial ablation. The procedure itself was very easy and painless with minimal recovery time. I was teaching aerobics within two weeks afterward. No periods since – it has been very nice! However, I started having constant hot flashes about six months later. I am 50 years old. I have also recently been having cramps and bloating. I'm not sure if I would do it again or not. The procedure was just a Band-aid for hormone imbalance. I should have probably just balanced my hormones instead. I'm praying I won't need a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Tfain1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had endometrial ablation on 2/14/14, I have stale smell now and still have abdominal pain.

Comment from: PrissyA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had the ablation procedure 4 years ago and periods stopped for only 3 months afterwards. I've had a period every month since. Now I've had this last cycle of continuous bleeding going on 4 weeks now. I went to the emergency room and was prescribed Provera to stop the bleeding and I will be getting an ultrasound next week. Also I'm severely anemic. I was told since the procedure that I will probably end up having a hysterectomy. I was on birth control pills to help lessen the bleeding, but have stopped taking it. I'm 40 now and I'm thinking it's time for the partial hysterectomy if possible!

Comment from: AngieW38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had endometrial ablation done in office with the balloon in March. My post op recovery was fine but I have continued to have the same pain and heavy period that I had prior to having it done.

Comment from: aprilrain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a tubal ligation in 2001. After the tubal I began to experience heavy bleeding and painful cycles. 2004 I had the ablation. The recovery was a breeze and even to this day my cycle was been extremely light, only requiring pantie liners lasting two days. I am now approaching 10 years post op and I have started experiencing chronic pelvic, lower back, and leg pain. The pain has been so bad I have nearly fainted. I recently went to the E.R. for the second time in three weeks and they discovered fluid trapped in my left Fallopian tube. I followed up with my gyno (who performed ablation) who informed me the fluid is trapped blood. Scar tissue is growing over the lining of my uterus preventing my menstrual blood from exiting.

Comment from: XXangelXX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had hydrothermal ablation done after 18 years of extreme heavy painful periods. Since having this done I've been leaking watery fluid that is kind of rusty in color. I've had no bleeding which is good, but still getting stomach cramps. Also I'm getting seriously annoying hot flashes day and night.

Comment from: hedgy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had this procedure January 2011 and for a year everything was fantastic. No bleeding, no pain -- absolutely fantastic. Then suddenly I started to get a lot of discharge. It started just clear, quite normal you might say but then is started to yellow and the smell is just awful.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?