Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Flipper9496, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an endometrial ablation using NovaSure and a tubal ligation about 9 days ago. So far, no real issues to report. The pain was bad the first night but nowhere near the cramping I had during my period. I am able to do anything right now; there is very little discharge. I'm hoping when my period is supposed to begin it keeps with the status quo. Fingers crossed it will be as effective as my doctor says its supposed to be.

Comment from: Went well so far, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my tubal and uterine ablation March 4, 2013 due to not being able to function during my menstrual cycle. I recovered quiet quickly. I spotted maybe a week. I haven't had any problems since - no cramping, no bleeding at all, BUT just this month I believe I have a yeast infection. I'm not sure if this is due to the ablation.

Comment from: happymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my endometrial ablation procedure over a year ago and couldn't be happier. My iron levels are up, I don't have to plan things around my period anymore, I don't have to call in sick at work or always worry that I might have "an accident". The only negative I would say is that if I do get cramps now I'm not sure what it's from or if I'm having an emotional day I'm not sure if it is due to my hormone levels or not.

Comment from: Bon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had ablation twice the first time after I had a DVT and it lasted almost five years with no bleeding then suddenly back with a vengeance I scheduled the second ablation right away and since then no bleeding and no symptoms either. Recovered the same day on each surgery with very little spotting. This is the best thing that I ever had done in my life. I suffered from terrible periods cramping heavy bleeding nausea sweating light headed. All gone I will be fifty in September and no periods for over 10 years except the one just before the second ablation.

Comment from: Surgery Bound, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had a D&C and endometrial ablation done 16 days ago. I sailed through the day surgery with minimal cramping afterward. However, I haven't stopped bleeding since. Its bright red blood and I go through 1-2 pads a day. I've been back to my surgeon out of concern about the bleeding. He tells me that my endometrial biopsy showed abnormal cells that if left untreated, have a high probability of developing into cancer of the uterus within 2-5 yrs. So now, I have to have a full hysterectomy with ovary removal as well. At least this will solve all my problems of heavy menstruation and unbearable cramping every 3-4 weeks. Surgery is in 7 weeks.

Comment from: pam3750, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

It's been almost six years since my endometrial ablation. The procedure itself was very easy and painless with minimal recovery time. I was teaching aerobics within back to normal a week to two weeks afterward. However, my period never stop , I was told I would go into menopause within two years , and I continue to get my period each month , heavy bleeding for the first three days with bad cramps and migraines I will be 48 years old. I was recently told I have fibroids. The procedure was just a Band-Aid I should have probably press for a hysterectomy instead. I'm praying I would get insurance to have it done.

Comment from: Sis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had the surgery last Nov. and days before my normal period would have started I get really bad cramps. The kind that make you want to curl up in a ball. I have a pink tint when it first starts and then it turns super dark red and last for 3 days. But it doesn't even fill a panty liner. It's worth not bleeding, but the cramps are worse than I can remember before. I had the hot water balloon surgery the same time I had bladder surgery. I'm 50 years old, hoping the cramps and discharge stop soon. I've noticed I've gained 5 lbs also. Just wondering if it's because I don't have a normal period anymore.

Comment from: justice1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had the procedure done 12 days ago and right now; I am not happy. I have been having a discharge ever since the procedure and now today (Aug 30th); I just started bleeding. I have been cramping as well. I want to know how long will I have this discharge. It is very annoying and depressing. I am very moody and irritated at the littlest things. There was another individual that had the same procedure and she bled the day of surgery and have been period free ever since. She was lucky.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?