Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Fortwengle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had the endometrial ablation (freezing) done in 2009. I was told this would cure my heavy menstrual cycles and my embarrassing accidents that occurred. I'm googling this because I was curious if people had the same side effects I am experiencing. At first it was like the best thing that I had ever done. No periods, and it was all great. Then one day the cramps crept up, back pain, headaches, and small amounts of bleeding. Now I feel like I'm on my cycle 3 weeks of the month and I feel like my body is trying to shed the blood. It never appears in my underwear, but does either drop into toilet or is on my toilet paper usually with discharge. I have a smell to that I don't like. Wonder what I should do.

Comment from: Scubagirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Great procedure so far. I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done (boiling) 3 weeks ago under general anesthesia. I am 46 years old, and have had 3 kids. For the month prior to the procedure my doctor had me take megestrol 40 mg twice a day to make sure my uterine lining was as thin as possible prior to the procedure so I would get the best results. After the procedure I had pretty bad cramping and discharge for about 4 hours. After that the cramping and the discharge stopped. I had some big cramps the following morning for a few hours and they went away quickly. The last 3 weeks I have had extremely minimal, non-smelly discharge (just a few drops a day). Last week I was due for my period, I had a few drops of red blood one morning and that was it. Prior to the procedure my periods were very regular, every 28 days and lasted 5 days. The first two days were so heavy I could barely leave the house and had to double up on tampons and pads changing them every hour. It was pretty disgusting and miserable. Keep in mind most people who write in the forums are unhappy with the procedure. Very few happy patients will take the time to write. I have 6 friends that have had this procedure done over the last 3 to 4 years. Every one of them is very happy with the results and not one of them has had a period since the procedure. I too am hoping for no periods in the future, but even a much lighter period will be better than what I had prior to the procedure.

Comment from: dendan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am so sorry endometrial ablation has not worked for some of you. I had mine done about 5 years ago and have had no problems at all. Before I had it done I was having to change tampons every hour to save myself from leak-through due to heavy bleeding. I no longer have periods, which I'm thankful for. I'm 40 and don't want any more children anyway. I would advise people to do it if they asked me. I guess the results are different for everyone, perhaps it may also depend on the doctor.

Comment from: Lissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had NovaSure done on June 20, and although the pain went away overnight, I have been suffering from some kind of infection since. I have had fevers ranging from 99 to 102 every day (9 days now), fatigue, nausea, and some mild headaches. The discharge is tannish (never saw any real blood) and smelly. I hope it gets better.

Comment from: Maighread, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had an endometrial ablation in 2001. It solved the problem of heavy bleeding. I was put under for the procedure and had no side effects from that. I woke up in some pain from the gas, but that went away in a couple hours. It was an easy recovery which took about four days. I slept a lot and had no real problems except the antibiotics they gave me gave me really bad gas! My periods used to last nine days and I went through a pad every hour. After the ablation they were three days and I used a mini-pad per day. It was easy!

Comment from: Greengiant, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 19

I had my endometrial ablation done on March 4, 2014. I had the procedure done with no anesthesia as I don't like feeling queasy. I had very bad periods in the past and now they are very light. The procedure has changed my life dramatically. I have noticed some changes though. Yellow, brownish discharge, but nothing I can't live with.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had an endometrial ablation 15 months ago. Before you have this procedure, make sure that your doctor does an ultrasound to rule out adenomyosis (bleeding tissue outside of the uterus). After the ablation, I bled every single day for six months. And I still got an incredibly heavy period; chicken cutlet sized clots (sorry). So forceful that the blood came out while I was swimming in the ocean! The pain was excruciating. I went back to the doctor, he did ultrasound, and discovered that I had adenomyosis (different from endometriosis) and I would need a hysterectomy. Blood was now still flowing, but could not get out due to scar tissue formed as a result of the ablation. My stomach is huge, I'm in constant pain, and terrified of having a hysterectomy. I'm miserable and feel like a ticking time bomb (will my uterus just explode one day like Sigourney Weaver's in Alien). I could go on and on, but won't. Just make sure you rule out that you're not one of the unfortunate souls who have this other (very obnoxious) condition. Best wishes to all.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?