Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Lissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had NovaSure done on June 20, and although the pain went away overnight, I have been suffering from some kind of infection since. I have had fevers ranging from 99 to 102 every day (9 days now), fatigue, nausea, and some mild headaches. The discharge is tannish (never saw any real blood) and smelly. I hope it gets better.

Comment from: Maighread, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had an endometrial ablation in 2001. It solved the problem of heavy bleeding. I was put under for the procedure and had no side effects from that. I woke up in some pain from the gas, but that went away in a couple hours. It was an easy recovery which took about four days. I slept a lot and had no real problems except the antibiotics they gave me gave me really bad gas! My periods used to last nine days and I went through a pad every hour. After the ablation they were three days and I used a mini-pad per day. It was easy!

Comment from: Greengiant, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 19

I had my endometrial ablation done on March 4, 2014. I had the procedure done with no anesthesia as I don't like feeling queasy. I had very bad periods in the past and now they are very light. The procedure has changed my life dramatically. I have noticed some changes though. Yellow, brownish discharge, but nothing I can't live with.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had an endometrial ablation 15 months ago. Before you have this procedure, make sure that your doctor does an ultrasound to rule out adenomyosis (bleeding tissue outside of the uterus). After the ablation, I bled every single day for six months. And I still got an incredibly heavy period; chicken cutlet sized clots (sorry). So forceful that the blood came out while I was swimming in the ocean! The pain was excruciating. I went back to the doctor, he did ultrasound, and discovered that I had adenomyosis (different from endometriosis) and I would need a hysterectomy. Blood was now still flowing, but could not get out due to scar tissue formed as a result of the ablation. My stomach is huge, I'm in constant pain, and terrified of having a hysterectomy. I'm miserable and feel like a ticking time bomb (will my uterus just explode one day like Sigourney Weaver's in Alien). I could go on and on, but won't. Just make sure you rule out that you're not one of the unfortunate souls who have this other (very obnoxious) condition. Best wishes to all.

Comment from: LaLa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had NovaSure done on May 20th. The recovery period was relatively simple; minor cramping that went away overnight. However, since the surgery I've experienced headaches, lower back aches, a mild pain on my upper left arm, nausea and stomach aches, and a light pink, smelly, watery discharge. And on day 13, all of sudden I had a mild case of diarrhea and a urinary tract infection which resulted in frequent bathroom visits. Thank goodness I had some Azo pills handy. I'm hoping that I made the right decision but based on what I've read so far, I'm uncertain.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my endometrial ablation surgery yesterday via spinal block and local anesthetic. I am spotting today, and having slight back ache from spinal block entry, but overall feeling very well indeed. I am hoping this helps my periods as my womb lining was 17 mm thick and should be between 4 and 7 mm.

Comment from: jlc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had the endometrial ablation procedure a little over 2 weeks ago. I would suggest to anyone considering not going under general anesthesia for the procedure to reconsider. I could only tolerate 5 of the required 8 minutes of the procedure. I felt like my insides were being expanded at a very quick rate and were going to explode. I also felt very nauseated during the procedure. The procedure appears to be successful at this time, but I had a tremendous amount of edema. I wasn"t able to wear my watch or rings the first week and have gone up a full size in clothing from the waist down. Keeping my fingers crossed that the results will have been worth it.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a 45 year old female. I had an endometrial ablation in May of 2013. Everything went well until three months ago. I have been having the worst menstrual cramps like no other. My periods are light but this month I am having a period twice. Very concerned. My pain is so bad, that I cannot function. Mentally the pain has drained me.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?