Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: lsnyder, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had the endometrial ablation done 2 years ago and had no problems. Almost 2 years to the day I started having periods again. The first one was extremely painful and heavy. For the past few months the cramps are there as before, but the flow is not as heavy. I'm going to see my gynecologist in a few days.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had an endometrial ablation three months ago. I have since had a minimal amount of cramping but no period yet. This was my objective; I was tired of bleeding over a prolonged period of time. Lately I have felt bloated and have gained weight easily. There are so many variables at play here in my body that it's hard to attribute those problems directly to the ablation. I'll see how my condition goes with time.

Comment from: Lulu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had endometrial ablation in January 2014. I had shorter, lighter periods the 2 months following. By the third month I was no longer having a period at all. With the hormone changes following the procedure came moodiness, but otherwise everything went well and I love the results.

Comment from: AngelWife26, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am currently 42 years old. I had my endometrial ablation done in February 2007. After enduring extreme cramps since I was 17 and requiring narcotic pain medications due to the cramping, the ablation was the best thing for me. Since the recovery, I've had occasional spotting (2 or 3 times a year). I've not had a full cycle since. Now I'm in the peri-menopause phase and will likely never have a cycle again. This truly was the best decision I could have made.

Comment from: Stacie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the endometrial ablation years ago and just had to have my uterus removed because of it. Apparently I was not informed of the long-term effects of the procedure. What happens is, every month your uterus still thinks it has to build up fluid and it gets trapped. I was in severe pain for a long time until they figured it out. Please research this and rethink this decision.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 31st January. I have not had a single spot or any sign of bleeding since that day. So, that is 6 months period free. No cramps nothing. I have just put two and two together though and put some abdominal weight gain down to this procedure which is a big disappointment. It is like pre-period bloating.

Comment from: Prettygirlkim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had the NovaSure procedure done July 10th. I woke up with minimal cramping but hours later was in hell, the cramps were severe and the Norco they gave me wasn't working. I called the doctor's office and they told me to take another one but by that time I was vomiting because I had already fasted for the procedure and 2 Norcos and an ibuprofen 800 was too hard on my stomach. Later that day the pain started to ease up and I could take a nap. Here I am 7 days post endometrial ablation with light spotting, light cramping and a discharge with a slight odor. I am hoping the spotting stops soon but I will get back to you after my next doctor appointment at 2 weeks post ablation!

Comment from: Divama4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had my endometrial ablation outpatient procedure done June 30, 2014. After I awoke I was extremely nauseous, but no pain, very light bleeding or discharge. I'm still having a light watery bleeding/discharge. A couple of days ago (Saturday) I had a day of heavier bleeding like I was on my period along with a couple of big sized clots. I've been experiencing bad headaches recently too. I really dislike this terrible smell, I can't shower enough. I'll be glad when that's gone! Today Wednesday, I awoke at 4 am to heavy bleeding, thank goodness I wear a pad daily. When I went to urinate I passed a very large clot; a clot the size of 2 eggs. I'm calling my doctor. I sure hope this procedure stops my cycles totally or at least makes it very light and only a few days. I'm tired of periods but afraid to have a hysterectomy.

Comment from: annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation; it lasted 6 months and I was a happy camper but now my period and cramping came back with a vengeance. I am looking into having a hysterectomy, here we go again! But definitely go through with the ablation, it just doesn't work on some people, but I know a lot of people that are very pleased with the results.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?