Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Stacie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the endometrial ablation years ago and just had to have my uterus removed because of it. Apparently I was not informed of the long-term effects of the procedure. What happens is, every month your uterus still thinks it has to build up fluid and it gets trapped. I was in severe pain for a long time until they figured it out. Please research this and rethink this decision.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 31st January. I have not had a single spot or any sign of bleeding since that day. So, that is 6 months period free. No cramps nothing. I have just put two and two together though and put some abdominal weight gain down to this procedure which is a big disappointment. It is like pre-period bloating.

Comment from: Prettygirlkim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had the NovaSure procedure done July 10th. I woke up with minimal cramping but hours later was in hell, the cramps were severe and the Norco they gave me wasn't working. I called the doctor's office and they told me to take another one but by that time I was vomiting because I had already fasted for the procedure and 2 Norcos and an ibuprofen 800 was too hard on my stomach. Later that day the pain started to ease up and I could take a nap. Here I am 7 days post endometrial ablation with light spotting, light cramping and a discharge with a slight odor. I am hoping the spotting stops soon but I will get back to you after my next doctor appointment at 2 weeks post ablation!

Comment from: Divama4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had my endometrial ablation outpatient procedure done June 30, 2014. After I awoke I was extremely nauseous, but no pain, very light bleeding or discharge. I'm still having a light watery bleeding/discharge. A couple of days ago (Saturday) I had a day of heavier bleeding like I was on my period along with a couple of big sized clots. I've been experiencing bad headaches recently too. I really dislike this terrible smell, I can't shower enough. I'll be glad when that's gone! Today Wednesday, I awoke at 4 am to heavy bleeding, thank goodness I wear a pad daily. When I went to urinate I passed a very large clot; a clot the size of 2 eggs. I'm calling my doctor. I sure hope this procedure stops my cycles totally or at least makes it very light and only a few days. I'm tired of periods but afraid to have a hysterectomy.

Comment from: annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation; it lasted 6 months and I was a happy camper but now my period and cramping came back with a vengeance. I am looking into having a hysterectomy, here we go again! But definitely go through with the ablation, it just doesn't work on some people, but I know a lot of people that are very pleased with the results.

Comment from: Fortwengle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had the endometrial ablation (freezing) done in 2009. I was told this would cure my heavy menstrual cycles and my embarrassing accidents that occurred. I'm googling this because I was curious if people had the same side effects I am experiencing. At first it was like the best thing that I had ever done. No periods, and it was all great. Then one day the cramps crept up, back pain, headaches, and small amounts of bleeding. Now I feel like I'm on my cycle 3 weeks of the month and I feel like my body is trying to shed the blood. It never appears in my underwear, but does either drop into toilet or is on my toilet paper usually with discharge. I have a smell to that I don't like. Wonder what I should do.

Comment from: Scubagirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Great procedure so far. I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done (boiling) 3 weeks ago under general anesthesia. I am 46 years old, and have had 3 kids. For the month prior to the procedure my doctor had me take megestrol 40 mg twice a day to make sure my uterine lining was as thin as possible prior to the procedure so I would get the best results. After the procedure I had pretty bad cramping and discharge for about 4 hours. After that the cramping and the discharge stopped. I had some big cramps the following morning for a few hours and they went away quickly. The last 3 weeks I have had extremely minimal, non-smelly discharge (just a few drops a day). Last week I was due for my period, I had a few drops of red blood one morning and that was it. Prior to the procedure my periods were very regular, every 28 days and lasted 5 days. The first two days were so heavy I could barely leave the house and had to double up on tampons and pads changing them every hour. It was pretty disgusting and miserable. Keep in mind most people who write in the forums are unhappy with the procedure. Very few happy patients will take the time to write. I have 6 friends that have had this procedure done over the last 3 to 4 years. Every one of them is very happy with the results and not one of them has had a period since the procedure. I too am hoping for no periods in the future, but even a much lighter period will be better than what I had prior to the procedure.

Comment from: dendan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am so sorry endometrial ablation has not worked for some of you. I had mine done about 5 years ago and have had no problems at all. Before I had it done I was having to change tampons every hour to save myself from leak-through due to heavy bleeding. I no longer have periods, which I'm thankful for. I'm 40 and don't want any more children anyway. I would advise people to do it if they asked me. I guess the results are different for everyone, perhaps it may also depend on the doctor.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?