Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Masshole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had ablation several years ago. I have had no issues. When I get my period, I pass tissue, not more than a drop or two of blood. There are no odd smells, no odd discharges. I consider this successful. I am glad to not be bleeding through everything and dizzy. I still have hormonal issues but hoping that menopause will get rid of that.

Comment from: SexyCreole, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had the ablation in July 26 2011. I had trouble at first, the smell of the discharge was unbearable (smelled like burning flesh), it lasted about 2 months following the surgery and I gained about 23lbs, although everyone said it was non-hormonal. Anyway I ended up losing 33lbs and I haven't had a period in over 2 years. I don't cramp or spot, so this is the best thing I ever could have imagined.

Comment from: Shida, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the endometrial ablation done 5 days ago due to heavy periods, sometimes 3 times a month and severe cramps. I experienced excruciating pain after the procedure for the first 2 days, not even the pain medications helped. I had severe back & and abdominal pain. I had to use a heating pad on my back to help me cope with the pain. I've been experiencing some light discharge and cramping since, mostly in my lower back and stomach. I have had no period so far. My follow up is next week. I will keep you posted.

Comment from: Middle aged woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the endometrial ablation a year ago. I first experienced bad period pain with a little discharge and this went on for several weeks then stopped. My periods were light and not that painful until 4 months down the line. My pains came back badly so did my period which was very heavy and lasted 5 days. Then I had very bad pains in the back and ovaries, and night sweats which were horrible.

Comment from: cctina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

This is the best procedure to have done if you have heavy menstrual bleeding. My only regret was that I didn't have this done sooner. I had the surgery in the morning and by that afternoon I was grocery shopping. I had no side effects.

Comment from: missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had the ablation done on July 12th, 2013. I don't regret it, however I am concerned, because I do still have at least 3 days of heavy bleeding. I am also tired and weak during this time. It is definitely better than before when I couldn't even walk because of the leg pain, lower back pain and bladder issues. It fixed all of that, but will be going in a couple of days to see why there is so much bleeding.

Comment from: unknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an ablation this last June because of heavy bleeding every other week. I also had a tubal ligation. The surgery went very well; I had normal recovery with slight discharge for about 10 days. I had no periods for 3 months (13 weeks) but now I am having a period every 3 weeks bleeding, cramping etc.

Comment from: TyandAF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a dilation and curettage (D&C), hysteroscopy, and NovaSure endometrial ablation done 8/20/2013, and I'm so happy my doctor suggested this procedure. After suffering for many years with heavy clot-filled painful periods, I was at the end of my rope. I had the procedures in the same-day surgery part of my hospital. I experienced some cramping after I went home after 3 hours in recovery. I was given Motrin 800 and Tylenol with Codeine #3. I haven't bled since the small bit of spotting the day of surgery. I did have 2-3 days of lower back and hip pain but besides that I feel great and consider my surgery a success! I know it's only been 3 weeks but I feel over the moon.

Comment from: nessagarza4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my endometrial ablation almost 2 weeks ago. The recovery room pain in my abdomen was worse than my C-section. I spotted a few days and had a foul smell for which they prescribed two antibiotics. I bled 3 weeks of every month with extreme bloating. I can say that the bloating has gone down and now the smell and bleeding stopped. My real concern is I have NO sex drive. I was a very sexually active person with my hubby and now I'm moody and have no drive.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?