Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Jodi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am post operation 3 days from the NovaSure endometrial ablation, and tubal ligation. I did out patient with IV sedation. Surgery went well. Recovery to me is from the medication from sedation. There is a very slight discharge today and no pain. There is some cramping after procedure, nothing worse than my menstrual cramps. My period is due. 1 week from now, we will see what it brings. So far everything is just as expected.

Comment from: Avu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had endometrial ablation in December 2013. It was not under general anesthesia, but mild sedation, which made it tolerable. I am almost a year out. I am having extremely light periods about every 25 to 28 days, which last no more than 2 days. I feel terrible after reading about all problems others I having. The only thing I have noticed is more abdominal bloating and some weight gain.

Comment from: ake770, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a uterine ablation over 2 years ago. The results for me have been great. I had heavy periods my whole life and they got significantly worse after my 40th birthday. I was at the point that I would not leave my house on the 2nd day of period. I have not had a period since the procedure. I do have some mood swings and minor PMS (premenstrual syndrome) symptoms but life has been much easier since the procedure.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in November 2013. For about 5 hours after the procedure, I had abdominal pain (2 doses of 800 mg ibuprofen took care of that). For about 2 weeks I had some light spotting. Now, almost a year later, I have had nothing; no spotting, no periods, and no cramps. Prior to NovaSure, I had terrible cramps, terrible, heavy periods, I was always making sure there was a rest room anywhere I went. I would do it again in an instant! The only thing I would do differently is take ibuprofen as soon as I could after the procedure. It has made a huge difference in my life!

Comment from: sarasbears, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had my endometrial ablation on Monday, September 22nd 2014 at 10 am. I woke up to cramps/nausea. I went to bed and woke up Tuesday, felt great all day and then started to get a headache around 9 pm. I took Tylenol and went to bed and woke at 3 am on Wednesday with pounding headache. All day I had a fever on and off then chills, where my hands felt frozen, a massive headache, nausea, and horrible lower back pain. I waited till my husband got home and we were instructed to go to urgent care where they sent me to the emergency room. They took blood, urine and did a CT scan. My white blood cells were a tad high, but everything else was ok. Every day since, I have had a headache/migraine. I wake up and my head doesnt feel right, and by the end of the day I can't get off the couch. I have never had headaches before this!

Comment from: lsnyder, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had the endometrial ablation done 2 years ago and had no problems. Almost 2 years to the day I started having periods again. The first one was extremely painful and heavy. For the past few months the cramps are there as before, but the flow is not as heavy. I'm going to see my gynecologist in a few days.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had an endometrial ablation three months ago. I have since had a minimal amount of cramping but no period yet. This was my objective; I was tired of bleeding over a prolonged period of time. Lately I have felt bloated and have gained weight easily. There are so many variables at play here in my body that it's hard to attribute those problems directly to the ablation. I'll see how my condition goes with time.

Comment from: Lulu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had endometrial ablation in January 2014. I had shorter, lighter periods the 2 months following. By the third month I was no longer having a period at all. With the hormone changes following the procedure came moodiness, but otherwise everything went well and I love the results.

Comment from: AngelWife26, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am currently 42 years old. I had my endometrial ablation done in February 2007. After enduring extreme cramps since I was 17 and requiring narcotic pain medications due to the cramping, the ablation was the best thing for me. Since the recovery, I've had occasional spotting (2 or 3 times a year). I've not had a full cycle since. Now I'm in the peri-menopause phase and will likely never have a cycle again. This truly was the best decision I could have made.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?