Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Musbdeby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had NovaSure done over 4 years ago. The procedure was painless, I was back to work in a day. Since then I have hot flashes, no sex drive and get a bacterial infection after sex every time. I am 50 years old, been with my husband for 30 years and this sex thing is causing problems. My doctors just keeps giving me antibiotics. I still love the fact that I haven't had a period in over 4 years and the weight gain sucks.

Comment from: Moonbeam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had my endometrial ablation in 2013 and it was great for the first few months. But, I now get very sick when my period would have occurred. It makes me very nauseated, to the point of where I am very miserable for three to four days. I get extremely fatigued, I still have some vaginal odor and my joints in my wrist ache during this time as well. None of this occurred before the surgery, so I can only assume it is because of it.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a hysteroscopic myomectomy and endometrial ablation just over 2 weeks ago. I had some watery discharge in the beginning but now I have been bleeding for 13 days. I feel discouraged and am wondering when I will start to feel better. I've been told I am extremely anemic so I have just started taking iron in the hopes that it will help me find some energy. It has been a long process and prior to the surgery I was on Lupron Depot for 5 months. I am hoping to be feeling great in the next week or so but it would sure be nice to know when to expect a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: AJ2141, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my endometrial ablation and D & C, 2 days ago. I was told I would cramp for 6 to 8 hours, stay on top of pain medications. I did and it was manageable. I threw up 3 times from morphine (which I would have turned down had I been coherent). Other than that, I felt fine that evening. I woke up next day, very low mild cramps, however, bad bloating. No gas was being produced, just bloating and very hard, tender belly. Did some googling and decided on day 2 of recovery to go for a walk. I felt good enough to run a little. (Doctor said I could do what I felt like doing when I was ready). After run/walk I had mild cramping and a little bleeding. Bloating isn't as bad but still there. I hope this part of it goes away. I had hardly any discharge at all since the surgery, barely need a pad. I probably need to up my water intake to reduce bloating. I am going to take a Motrin for the cramps.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had the endometrial ablation procedure 45 days ago. Within the first week, my discharge was heavy and had an awful odor. The doctor told me it was a bacterial infection. I took an oral antibiotic. The side effects were unbearable. I kept on with it and the infection remained. I then switched to a cream. It helped for about 5 day and it came back. I am now starting another dose of the cream and taking baths in baking soda. I hope this gets better. Positive note, my periods are so much better. Not sure if it was worth this though.

Comment from: Dmur, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the NovaSure done just over a year ago. The procedure went fine and after a month I had no more bleeding. Each month I had slight cramping for a few days, around the time I should have had a period. Now, a year later I am experiencing lower abdominal cramping pretty much all the time. I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist for my yearly checkup and everything was good.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had the NovaSure procedure done a week ago. I had very little pain after and minor watery discharge. I did have bad cramping for a few hours 48 hours after. My sister had it done several years ago and never had a period again. I'm hoping the same for me. I'm 47, so far I'm very happy.

Comment from: dogharman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had this procedure done 2 plus years ago. It was an easy surgery with a very easy recovery with little to no pain or bleeding. However, I don't have much more than a spot or two when I am supposed to have my period but I am experiencing extreme pressure and pain for a day or two. I would rather have this than heavy periods but my concern now is that the pain may require me asking for a prescription pain reliever because over the counter medicines just don't touch it.

Comment from: Masshole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had ablation several years ago. I have had no issues. When I get my period, I pass tissue, not more than a drop or two of blood. There are no odd smells, no odd discharges. I consider this successful. I am glad to not be bleeding through everything and dizzy. I still have hormonal issues but hoping that menopause will get rid of that.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?