Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Megan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had endometrial ablation in December 2014. Straight after the operation I felt great, had no pain, and barely any bleeding. This carried on throughout the month of January. However, my period returned in February, not as bad as before, but my goodness the pelvic pain is almost unbearable. I am now off work as I can't function properly. I have begged my doctor to try and hurry up hysterectomy as I really have had enough. I had every type of painkiller, the back pain is agony. I wish I had just gone for the hysterectomy.

Comment from: Leighann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the endometrial ablation done a month ago and have had a cycle. It was light with no cramps and normal hormonal stuff. The thing that concerns me is that I gained weight fast and I can't shake the fatigue I have felt since the surgery.

Comment from: Bappi2015, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had endometrial ablation 9 days ago on 25/2/15. The first 2 days were full of cramping and feeling bloated, then the next 5 days I had some cramps during the day and the last 2 days I have had minimal cramps. I have used paracetamol every day but will discontinue unless I have pain. Bleeding stopped about day 7 but watery discharge is still present. I am feeling a lot better now and have been at work for 4 days. Do your homework before you have this done.

Comment from: Brendajj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had an endometrial ablation done in December of 2010, and apart from some mild cramps for a few days after, I am great. No more heavy, unmanageable periods or dreading that 'time.' Very, very happy!

Comment from: Cams1gril, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had an endometrial ablation On October 29, 2014. I never had cramps before in my life I can say I thought I was in labor with these cramps. The odor was a smelly burnt smell and lasted for months. I have had some sort of discharge since the procedure. I had really heavy bleeding during the 3rd month (30 days nonstop) which caused me more anemia. I am now scheduled for a full hysterectomy. Not everyone is the same, but if I really thought about what this procedure was (burning the inside of your uterus) I would have thought twice. I just wanted to avoid the inevitable. If I had to go down this path again I would have skipped the extra 3 months of misery from this procedure and used that time to recover from the hysterectomy that I tried to avoid. Don't torture yourself from this procedure, just have the hysterectomy.

Comment from: Piglit1967, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had an endometrial ablation on the 27/06/14 after needing 2 blood transfusions. I had high hopes that my long very heavy periods would be a thing of the past, but no such luck. The first couple of months I just spotted, then they were back worse than before and I haven't been able to go without some sort of pad ever since. I have also been severely anemic ever since, so in just over 3 weeks I am having a hysterectomy. I am hoping that this will be the end of years of problems. I hope that it has worked out better for the majority, but I have read a lot of negative stories so wouldn't like to bet on it.

Comment from: ricoswife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had my endometrial ablation (EA) just a little over a year ago. Am I crazy or am I the only one suffering from the clear discharge and horrific smell! I have tried all kinds of home treatments. They work for a while and it is back again 3 to 7 days later. My doctor just prescribed antibiotics but I'm not convinced this is going to work. I found another forum full of women like me so I was wondering if any of you have experienced it. Most of us did not start experiencing this until about 4 months or later following our procedures. If you have and know of a cure, please post.

Comment from: scared as he**, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had the endometrial ablation done in 2009, and I never stopped having a period. My menses was lighter with cramping some months, for the first year. After that the cramping got worse, periods irregular and sometimes dark from backed up blood. I called my gynecologist and he says, oh well, it didn't work for you. Now it is 2014 and my new gynecologist suggests possible hysterectomy.

Comment from: bculbers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done February 2014 and have had no problems. I'm 47 and had had very, very heavy bleeding each month for the past 3 to 5 years. My periods were always regular (every 28 days without fail) and never painful, but the heavy bleeding was just a major inconvenience. Over the last 3 to 4 years, the periods had gone from every 28 days to every 21 days. My younger sister had an ablation 2 years ago and said it was the best thing she ever did, but she had always had irregular and painful periods her whole life. I spoke to my gynecologist and she said I was an ideal candidate for the procedure. I've never had a C-section, or had tumors/cysts, or any monthly pain, or any problems like that. I almost felt a bit guilty for wanting the procedure since it was only for 'convenience' to stop heavy bleeding. It has been 10 months and I never have had any side effects from the procedure. I had very slight pain (similar to what you'd feel if you did one too many sit ups) for a day after the procedure, but I returned to work 2 days after the procedure. I have to walk 1 mile to and from work, so I took the 2nd day off just to be on the safe side. I never felt any pain. I wore panty liners for about 2 weeks just in case I had any discharge, but even the discharge was extremely light. It was a very light pink stain. I read some reviews that said there was a strange odor, but I had no strange odor and barely noticeable discharge. About 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure, I had a very light period that lasted 1 to 2 days. Some people would probably call it 'spotting' and not a real period, it was that light. Since then, I had not had any periods. No pain. No bleeding. No spotting. This procedure was perfect for me and I'm extremely glad that I had it done. I just wish I had it done years sooner.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?