Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Lady T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I hand an endometrial ablation in 2009. I went through the time period of the funky discharge at the beginning. After that, everything was great until about 6 months ago. I noticed more wetness than normal. At first there was a clear discharge with no odor, nor itching. Lately the discharge is yellowish, still with no odor but now there is itching. I"m sure it"s because of the moisture. I"m about ready to scream because of it.

Comment from: sorry I did surgery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had my endometrial ablation about 1 year ago. First few weeks I bled and had a very funky smelling discharge. The doctor said it was normal. Then I still got period for next 7 months just a little lighter. Next 4 months no period but hot flashes at the time of my cycle. Past 2 months, I have period again but with very bad cramps. I also gained 10 pounds in.my stomach. I'm so upset at myself for not researching more on this very bad type of surgery. I'm so worried what will happen next month. I'm sorry I ever had the surgery.

Comment from: Stacie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had an endometrial ablation done in May, 2012, and had light spotting off and on for a few months. I went a year and a half with no periods. Then I started spotting every few days in late January, which began increasing in frequency, to a full-blown period that is now Day 6. I was not aware the endometrium would regrow after all this time. I am already scheduled for a hysterectomy in a few weeks, so I am not overly worried. But it is a bit surprising.

Comment from: Lady 39, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had this procedure done about a month ago, I'm still bleeding, cramping and wondering if this will be an ongoing thing. My periods were heavy before but would stop after six or seven days, but I have not stopped bleeding yet, now.

Comment from: Happy camper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

It's been two weeks since I had my endometrial ablation (heat balloon). I still get a little cramping, but for the last 4 days I"ve been having a water discharge (it's almost like I"m peeing myself), there is really no smell, doesn"t smell like pee, slight color (lite yellow- white), I can"t tell if I"m suffering from a urinary infection or if its discharge.

Comment from: charlie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had endometrial ablation 3 weeks ago. Felt sore that day then great after. My stomach swelling had gone down loads and I could fit in my jeans. This week I started bleeding heavy on my period but nurse said I must give it 3 months to settle down, so will do but I've got terrible back ache, I don't know if this is because I had a spinal or if I have just sprained it or something, I've never had backache this bad before. Painkillers don't touch it. My stomach is swelling up again. I hope it works for me, I have heard good reports about ablation so still hopeful.

Comment from: sensitive lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had the endometrial ablation on 27/2/14. After surgery I had to be given a pethidine injection as the pain was so excruciating I nearly passed out. I am now on day 10 and started bleeding a few days ago. I am also having cramps and have hot flashes all day today and feel exhausted. I am not sure I should have had this and am angry that the doctors don't tell you enough. I will just have to see if this works but I never had hot flushes before this and my cramps have been worse. It's terrible as women we have to go through this, feel like we are used as guinea pigs. I also agreed to have the trial where you have the injection in the cervix. I think these doctors are using us, not sure if it's worth it. I thought trial would help other women but think twice before you agree to this. I wish I didn't do the trial. Please think carefully about NovaSure.

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had endometrial ablation done on 31st January 2014. I have had trouble with bleeding afterwards. I"m still spotting as it"s called now and it"s been 5 weeks. I"ve had antibiotics because they thought I had an infection. I've been on 3 different tablets to stop the bleeding. Then one of the nurses spoke to the surgeon after my 2nd emergency appointment and he said I should never have been given any tablets to stop the bleeding! Not happy. I wish I'd never had the operation now! Going back to see the surgeon on 29th April. Hope I will have stopped bleeding by then.

Comment from: Momandmore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I used to have very heavy periods and would double up on tampons with extra-long overnighter pads during the day. If I did not change every 2 to 3 hours I would have accident due to the heavy bleeding. I became dangerously anemic before I decided to have the NovaSure procedure done at 40 plus, seven years ago it has worked out well for me. The first week I had cramps and light bleeding. I wore pad for three months after, only because I could not believe this would stop the bleeding. I could have saved myself some embarrassing moments. Now it's about having a knowledgeable interpreter for the wand type hysteroscope used for Paps.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?