Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Lawmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am almost 2 years out from NovaSure endometrial ablation. I have had erratic periods, though not heavy bleeding. For the last 4 months, I have had bleeding every other week lasting 7 or more days (I will go almost 24 hours no bleeding, then it starts up again). No cramps like I had before ablation, but I do seem to have bloating, indigestion, and weight gain. This is miserable. I am only 40, and before ablation had very heavy periods, lasting several days with severe cramping.

Comment from: sabby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 24 years old with 1 child and had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on June 18th, 2015. I also had a tubal ligation, D and C, hysteroscopy and polyp removal done as well. My primary reason was for adenomyosis and the chronic bleeding due to that. The pain wasn't bad at all. Just some soreness and cramps here and there. I didn't need my pain medications and was back to work in 3 days. I had very little spotting for a few days then nothing after that. Never had the discharge. I am nearly 7 months post operation, no period, no pain and I love it! Sex drive is great, no fear of pregnancy, and no more bleeding for months; glad I made this choice!

Comment from: Lynz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had my endometrial ablation done 12/17/15. I came home with slight cramping and slept most of the day. My doctor checked in on me the next day and I honestly asked him if he did the procedure. I felt 100 percent normal the next day. I did have minimal watery discharge for a week and still get an occasional discharge now. My doctor said it was normal and takes a few weeks for the lining to dissolve. I am interested to see how this affects my heavy periods caused by fibroids.

Comment from: wolf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had the endometrial ablation on 12-30-15. I am swollen in stomach and have a sharp pain in the left side. If I eat I really swell. I am stuck wearing pajama pants.

Comment from: Kate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had an endometrial ablation in August 2015. I woke up to pain that progressively got worse. They gave me some Percocet, which did nothing, and got home, took 2 extra strength Advil, which worked their magic. By the next day, I felt fine, a little weak. For about 2 weeks, I had a weird looking discharge, but that's normal. It's now end of November 2015, I haven't had a period since and I feel great! No regrets. The only thing I'm wondering about is if it affects your sex drive. Mine feels like it's gotten really low, which is sad, because, no periods!

Comment from: findingpeace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Friday, October 30, 2015. The worst part of the whole procedure was the fasting! The procedure (I also had hysteroscopy) went well, the results of the hysteroscopy were benign and recovery was a breeze. I took one Percocet and then took ibuprofen for 2 days. I continue to have very light watery discharge, but it hasn't even been a week. I was back to work on Monday and have had no cramping or other side effects. Given my previous history of heavy cramping and torrential bleeding, this seems to be the best thing I could have done! I did have the procedure done on the first day of my menses, just happened, did not schedule it to be so, and still no bleeding issues.

Comment from: Cinders50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had my endometrial ablation in March this year (I'm 50). All ok straight after, no period and no cramping. By July I had started having such horrific pain I can't tell you, like established labor. All I can do is lie in bed in a fetal position with a hot water bottle and loads of pain killers which don't touch it, only make me feel sick and sleepy. This can last 3 days or more, I have had to miss work so many times or been sent home. I only get spotting, not full periods, but I wish I'd never had it done, give me the heavy bleeding and less pain anytime, at least I can function in a normal way! Pain is like nothing I've experienced apart from giving birth. I am going to go back to the doctors (again) to beg for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: 8IsEnough4Me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an endometrial ablation done under anesthesia at the hospital on September 28, 2015. I woke in excruciating pain and felt like I was in labor and about to deliver. I was nauseous and dry heaving. The nurse gave me two doses totaling 100 cc of some kind of pain medicine via IV, but then resorted to two doses of morphine via IV, but neither gave me any relief. Finally, after about an hour, she called my doctor, who ordered 10 mg Norco. It wasn't until about 20 minutes after taking the Norco, which I broke in half for faster absorbency, that I started to feel a slight reduction in pain. I was nauseous and in pain for the first week. I had pink, watery discharge for the first 24 hours, then nothing for several days. Suddenly, a clear, watery discharge came abundantly and on day 13 (today) it is still abundant. I am looking forward to seeing how well this procedure reduces or eliminates pain and bleeding during my cycles. I am 44 years old and have eight children, so according to the statistics, I have a 16 percent to 30 percent chance of requiring a second ablation or other procedure, ugh! I hope I never have to have it done again; I'd rather give birth!

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?