Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

No side effects. The best decision for me. I had the endometrial ablation in January of 2015. It has been over a year now and the ablation to me was very successful. I had very heavy periods that went for ten days. Now they are light and are only three days. I was told I was a good candidate for this procedure because of my age. I was 49 at the time of surgery. I still have my hormones! My doctor told me to keep my hormones as long as I can.

Comment from: Beth M, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done 09/2012. I had cramping and a brownish discharge for about 10 days, then nothing. I enjoyed life for 9 months, no bleeding, bloating, or cramping. Then all of a sudden the severe labor like pain started. It lasted a week the first time, and nothing touched it. I stayed in bed with a heating pad and lived on pain medications. Since then it repeats every 28 to 30 days and lasts a week to ten days. Although ablation did work to minimize bleeding, if I had known how much pain it would cause, I never would have done it. I have an appointment with my obstetrician/gynecologist, where I intend to beg for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Belrib, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had my uterine ablation done on the 3rd of December 2015. I woke up with no pain and no medicines required post procedure. I had watery brown discharge for 6 weeks after. I have had 2 periods since the 6 weeks discharge and what a difference. Wow. I used to have clots and a very heavy period that lasted 7 days. I would soak a pad every hour on days 2, 3 and 4. Now I only need a panty liner and night time is a massive relief. Waking up to no mess is wonderful. I tried the pill, the Mirena and finally tranexamic acid before finally doing this.

Comment from: Lawmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am almost 2 years out from NovaSure endometrial ablation. I have had erratic periods, though not heavy bleeding. For the last 4 months, I have had bleeding every other week lasting 7 or more days (I will go almost 24 hours no bleeding, then it starts up again). No cramps like I had before ablation, but I do seem to have bloating, indigestion, and weight gain. This is miserable. I am only 40, and before ablation had very heavy periods, lasting several days with severe cramping.

Comment from: sabby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 24 years old with 1 child and had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on June 18th, 2015. I also had a tubal ligation, D and C, hysteroscopy and polyp removal done as well. My primary reason was for adenomyosis and the chronic bleeding due to that. The pain wasn't bad at all. Just some soreness and cramps here and there. I didn't need my pain medications and was back to work in 3 days. I had very little spotting for a few days then nothing after that. Never had the discharge. I am nearly 7 months post operation, no period, no pain and I love it! Sex drive is great, no fear of pregnancy, and no more bleeding for months; glad I made this choice!

Comment from: Lynz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had my endometrial ablation done 12/17/15. I came home with slight cramping and slept most of the day. My doctor checked in on me the next day and I honestly asked him if he did the procedure. I felt 100 percent normal the next day. I did have minimal watery discharge for a week and still get an occasional discharge now. My doctor said it was normal and takes a few weeks for the lining to dissolve. I am interested to see how this affects my heavy periods caused by fibroids.

Comment from: wolf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had the endometrial ablation on 12-30-15. I am swollen in stomach and have a sharp pain in the left side. If I eat I really swell. I am stuck wearing pajama pants.

Comment from: Kate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had an endometrial ablation in August 2015. I woke up to pain that progressively got worse. They gave me some Percocet, which did nothing, and got home, took 2 extra strength Advil, which worked their magic. By the next day, I felt fine, a little weak. For about 2 weeks, I had a weird looking discharge, but that's normal. It's now end of November 2015, I haven't had a period since and I feel great! No regrets. The only thing I'm wondering about is if it affects your sex drive. Mine feels like it's gotten really low, which is sad, because, no periods!

Comment from: findingpeace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Friday, October 30, 2015. The worst part of the whole procedure was the fasting! The procedure (I also had hysteroscopy) went well, the results of the hysteroscopy were benign and recovery was a breeze. I took one Percocet and then took ibuprofen for 2 days. I continue to have very light watery discharge, but it hasn't even been a week. I was back to work on Monday and have had no cramping or other side effects. Given my previous history of heavy cramping and torrential bleeding, this seems to be the best thing I could have done! I did have the procedure done on the first day of my menses, just happened, did not schedule it to be so, and still no bleeding issues.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?