Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Nannyfor3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I will be two weeks post an endometrial ablation tomorrow. The recovery was a lot worse than I was expecting. I had it done on a Friday, under anesthesia. I was there about 2 hours. I had issues with the anesthesia. I was in a lot of pain after the procedure (I have endometriosis so I'm used to lots of pain). I had a lot of pain and pressure for about 6 hours after the procedure with some light bleeding that lasted two days. I am still experiencing being really tired by the late afternoon. I believe I got my period one week after the procedure and it was light but still very painful! I had to end up taking a whole week off from work because though the pain wasn't that bad I found I was getting dizzy often. I still have a pink watery sometimes blood streaked discharge and some minor cramping and occasional pain.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had endometrial ablation done a year ago and a small fibroid removed as well. I have had no problems, it was a blessing for me! I am 49, pre-menopausal, and am very sexually active. Even more so now.

Comment from: Kelloggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in April 2015. I had the procedure done in their office. I did not go under, just had local anesthesia. It did not hurt me at all, just felt a little pressure (I have extremely high tolerance for pain). I was given pain killers for home. I only took 2 out of the bottle. Right after the procedure was done they gave me a pad for any bleeding I may have. I had one spot of blood when I got home. I have had no pain since the procedure and I have not had any signs of my period since before I had it done. It was the best thing I could have had done. I started menopause at the age of 42 and it started with really bad hot flashes and getting my period twice a month, a full week of heavy bleeding (I used to only have 3 days and always light). By the time I was 44 I was having my period 3 full weeks of every month. I am glad I have done this procedure and that it was a success for me.

Comment from: SwtBrnSugah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 2/23/2014. I took painkillers prior to procedure and one after. I did not feel pain, just a slight soreness. I had a light watery discharge for 2 days and then nothing. I have not had a menstrual period since. I think the key was I had the procedure done shortly after my period.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial ablation done on January 10th. I have been bleeding nonstop since. I was told it was normal, now that my period has come it has gotten worse and is still heavy with clots. All my life I have had bad periods, I'd pass golf ball size clots the whole time and it would be super heavy. I am worried that I have had a period for 10 days and was bleeding before I actually started.

Comment from: Sharona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done over 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. I had heavy, clotted bleeding and severe pain every month. My cramps were so bad that I would curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I surely didn't want to go shopping or out with friends. I came across a brochure for NovaSure in another doctor's office. I took it to my obstetrician/gynecologist and asked if she could perform it on me. It was a simple 15 minute procedure that she was able to do in her office. I had a few days of watery discharge and a very light period that month. I had a lighter period the next month and then it stopped altogether. It was great!

Comment from: Stillwaiting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in December 2016. The first 6 hours after were the most excruciating cramps I have ever had. They sent me home with ibuprofen and it did nothing. At one point I lay on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat, shaking and ready to pass out for over an hour. After about 6 hours the pain finally subsided but it took me another 3 days to get my strength back. I've had the watery discharge ever since and 2 heavy periods. As far as I can tell, the procedure did not do much for me. I'm hoping a little time will change that.

Comment from: Stillinpian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done last April and I am experiencing weight gain and cramping as if I feel I need to have my period. I am bloated and have sharp pains at times. I am waiting to see my doctor to have a hysterectomy. Although this procedure was done on my sister 9 years ago without any issues it was not good for me.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?