Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Happy camper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

It's been two weeks since I had my endometrial ablation (heat balloon). I still get a little cramping, but for the last 4 days I"ve been having a water discharge (it's almost like I"m peeing myself), there is really no smell, doesn"t smell like pee, slight color (lite yellow- white), I can"t tell if I"m suffering from a urinary infection or if its discharge.

Comment from: charlie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had endometrial ablation 3 weeks ago. Felt sore that day then great after. My stomach swelling had gone down loads and I could fit in my jeans. This week I started bleeding heavy on my period but nurse said I must give it 3 months to settle down, so will do but I've got terrible back ache, I don't know if this is because I had a spinal or if I have just sprained it or something, I've never had backache this bad before. Painkillers don't touch it. My stomach is swelling up again. I hope it works for me, I have heard good reports about ablation so still hopeful.

Comment from: sensitive lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had the endometrial ablation on 27/2/14. After surgery I had to be given a pethidine injection as the pain was so excruciating I nearly passed out. I am now on day 10 and started bleeding a few days ago. I am also having cramps and have hot flashes all day today and feel exhausted. I am not sure I should have had this and am angry that the doctors don't tell you enough. I will just have to see if this works but I never had hot flushes before this and my cramps have been worse. It's terrible as women we have to go through this, feel like we are used as guinea pigs. I also agreed to have the trial where you have the injection in the cervix. I think these doctors are using us, not sure if it's worth it. I thought trial would help other women but think twice before you agree to this. I wish I didn't do the trial. Please think carefully about NovaSure.

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had endometrial ablation done on 31st January 2014. I have had trouble with bleeding afterwards. I"m still spotting as it"s called now and it"s been 5 weeks. I"ve had antibiotics because they thought I had an infection. I've been on 3 different tablets to stop the bleeding. Then one of the nurses spoke to the surgeon after my 2nd emergency appointment and he said I should never have been given any tablets to stop the bleeding! Not happy. I wish I'd never had the operation now! Going back to see the surgeon on 29th April. Hope I will have stopped bleeding by then.

Comment from: Momandmore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I used to have very heavy periods and would double up on tampons with extra-long overnighter pads during the day. If I did not change every 2 to 3 hours I would have accident due to the heavy bleeding. I became dangerously anemic before I decided to have the NovaSure procedure done at 40 plus, seven years ago it has worked out well for me. The first week I had cramps and light bleeding. I wore pad for three months after, only because I could not believe this would stop the bleeding. I could have saved myself some embarrassing moments. Now it's about having a knowledgeable interpreter for the wand type hysteroscope used for Paps.

Comment from: JenSim3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had the thermal endometrial ablation nearly a month ago. I woke up in recovery in the worst pain I had ever felt. I suffered for an enlarged uterus and heavy bad periods. Since surgery, I have had infection after infection. The bleeding has barely stopped and there is a terrible odor. I have been in so much pain that I can barely walk sometimes. Now I"m fighting with insurance for a hysterectomy. I don"t know how much longer I can take this. Since surgery, everything has been 50 times worse.

Comment from: ISurrender, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had an endometrial ablation for severe bleeding in April, 2010. My bleeding was stopped but not my periods. I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy on Monday due to the excruciating pain that I go through each month since. I have never experienced such horrific pain in my life. It is thought that I have post ablation Syndrome. Little is known or said about it but I have the symptoms. Please educate yourself on this and ask questions. No person should suffer like this.

Comment from: Drea1974, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had the NovaSure procedure done in November of 2013. The first day I slept all day, the following day woke up with light cramps. For the next couple of days no bleeding just a little cramps. After about a week I had a real bad odor, bad- then came the bleeding. I bled for about a week and after that nothing. For the last month and a half I've felt great. The only thing I think I have noticed is weight gain. Big problem for me.

Comment from: niki245, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I just had the endometrial ablation done on Tuesday (Freezing method). I was wide awake for the procedure, with only a mild sedative. The procedure wasn't as horrible as expected, and lasted only about 15 to 20 minutes. Only about 5 minutes of the procedure were painful, but nothing that was unbearable. It's been almost a week, and the bleeding has not gotten worse than before I had the procedure. But I don't have any cramping or other side effects, just bad bleeding. I called the doctor's office on day 5 and they said that this is normal and to give it some time. Not sure if this was worth the procedure as of yet.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?