Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Gaining weight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have menstrual symptoms that occur without bleeding, post ablation. I had my endometrial ablation 5 months ago and continue to feel fatigued and experience cramping and other symptoms. To make matters much, much worse I have gained 15 pounds. I have always eaten healthy foods and continue to exercise regularly. Not only have I not lost any weight, I continue to gain. I am 44 years old and have never been overweight; I am very discouraged and depressed.

Comment from: Yvonne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done 12/13, I had constant bleeding and pain until 2/14. I was on lots of different antibiotics, eventually eased of, but then in 4/14 I started with lots of loin pain and vomiting but still no bleeding. In 5/14 I was admitted to hospital with what was thought to be severe kidney infection, bladder retention, catheterized, and sent home with lots of follow up appointments. No cause found but yet pain is still there. In 6/14 periods was back, two a month, first heavy and painful, and second light but even more painful. Pain at time of period was so intense I could not walk properly dress or undress myself. Now this was getting ridiculous, anyway urologist discharged me. I couldn't find the cause, though I have seen a number of different doctors. My recent appointment was with kidney doctor, to be told this pain could be from cysts on uterus due to ablation. This was noted in May 2014 and it took a kidney doctor on 7/04/15 to tell me this. I have an appointment with gynecologist 04/23 and my kidney doctor is sending this information to them. I'm really hoping this and the fact my periods have returned can be dealt with effectively with these, as all this pain for that ablation is not really worth it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a Nova Sure endometrial ablation done two weeks ago. The surgery was easy just some cramps for 4 hours afterwards. Not too bad because the doctor gave me a pain block that lasted four hours. The problem started with my first period afterwards. The premenstrual syndrome was horrible. I was never before in so much pain before a period. It scared me. It made me wonder if I made the worst mistake ever having this done. You don't bleed but you feel all the same feelings of a period but worse and way longer. I was throbbing in pain. Nothing like it before.

Comment from: Megan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had endometrial ablation in December 2014. Straight after the operation I felt great, had no pain, and barely any bleeding. This carried on throughout the month of January. However, my period returned in February, not as bad as before, but my goodness the pelvic pain is almost unbearable. I am now off work as I can't function properly. I have begged my doctor to try and hurry up hysterectomy as I really have had enough. I had every type of painkiller, the back pain is agony. I wish I had just gone for the hysterectomy.

Comment from: Leighann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the endometrial ablation done a month ago and have had a cycle. It was light with no cramps and normal hormonal stuff. The thing that concerns me is that I gained weight fast and I can't shake the fatigue I have felt since the surgery.

Comment from: Bappi2015, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had endometrial ablation 9 days ago on 25/2/15. The first 2 days were full of cramping and feeling bloated, then the next 5 days I had some cramps during the day and the last 2 days I have had minimal cramps. I have used paracetamol every day but will discontinue unless I have pain. Bleeding stopped about day 7 but watery discharge is still present. I am feeling a lot better now and have been at work for 4 days. Do your homework before you have this done.

Comment from: Brendajj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had an endometrial ablation done in December of 2010, and apart from some mild cramps for a few days after, I am great. No more heavy, unmanageable periods or dreading that 'time.' Very, very happy!

Comment from: Cams1gril, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had an endometrial ablation On October 29, 2014. I never had cramps before in my life I can say I thought I was in labor with these cramps. The odor was a smelly burnt smell and lasted for months. I have had some sort of discharge since the procedure. I had really heavy bleeding during the 3rd month (30 days nonstop) which caused me more anemia. I am now scheduled for a full hysterectomy. Not everyone is the same, but if I really thought about what this procedure was (burning the inside of your uterus) I would have thought twice. I just wanted to avoid the inevitable. If I had to go down this path again I would have skipped the extra 3 months of misery from this procedure and used that time to recover from the hysterectomy that I tried to avoid. Don't torture yourself from this procedure, just have the hysterectomy.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?