Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Felicia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had an endometrial ablation done back in 2007 and it went very well! The procedure was done in the office on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday! This was the best thing I have ever done for myself, and I am so very glad I did it. Now and then I have what seems like a period but it is very mild, just a little pain like cramps and very mild spotting. And it only happens about 2 or 3 times a year, and has only happened once so far this year. It is not for everyone, and I was told that in some cases it does have to be done again after a few years, but I have been very fortunate that the entire experience has been great and I am very happy that I did it!

Comment from: Shaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had endometrial ablation done last October and have suffered with back and groin pain since. I have had physiotherapy and now having pain management epidural injection. Maybe I have a tear in my hip ligament.

Comment from: PhoenixChan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation 3 days ago. The pain the first day was horrific. I would have rather been in labor. That night and the second day I was constantly feeling sick to my stomach and vomiting. It is going on day 3 and I am still feeling like I need to vomit.

Comment from: smacd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in 2007, had no side effects aside from cramping for the first two days (ibuprofen helped that). I went from 1 week long heavy periods every two weeks to essentially nothing after the surgery. I was too young for a hysterectomy at the time so this is the option I took. They did say I may have to repeat the surgery in 5 years. It is 2015 (8 years after) and I'm just starting to get back my periods but they only last a couple of days. If I go back to heavy every two weeks before I reach menopause I will consider doing the surgery again over a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Jodaline, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I underwent endometrial ablation this morning (May 26, 2015) due to heavy periods and large fibroids. I was put under and the procedure lasted about 30 minutes. I had minor bleeding and absolutely no cramping at all, just a little tightness when bending over or stretching to reach something. So far so good. After reading all of these reviews, I was a bit hesitant on going through with this mainly because the majority of these reviews were negative. But I'm happy to say that all is good so far for the first 15 hours.

Comment from: Gaining weight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have menstrual symptoms that occur without bleeding, post ablation. I had my endometrial ablation 5 months ago and continue to feel fatigued and experience cramping and other symptoms. To make matters much, much worse I have gained 15 pounds. I have always eaten healthy foods and continue to exercise regularly. Not only have I not lost any weight, I continue to gain. I am 44 years old and have never been overweight; I am very discouraged and depressed.

Comment from: Yvonne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done 12/13, I had constant bleeding and pain until 2/14. I was on lots of different antibiotics, eventually eased of, but then in 4/14 I started with lots of loin pain and vomiting but still no bleeding. In 5/14 I was admitted to hospital with what was thought to be severe kidney infection, bladder retention, catheterized, and sent home with lots of follow up appointments. No cause found but yet pain is still there. In 6/14 periods was back, two a month, first heavy and painful, and second light but even more painful. Pain at time of period was so intense I could not walk properly dress or undress myself. Now this was getting ridiculous, anyway urologist discharged me. I couldn't find the cause, though I have seen a number of different doctors. My recent appointment was with kidney doctor, to be told this pain could be from cysts on uterus due to ablation. This was noted in May 2014 and it took a kidney doctor on 7/04/15 to tell me this. I have an appointment with gynecologist 04/23 and my kidney doctor is sending this information to them. I'm really hoping this and the fact my periods have returned can be dealt with effectively with these, as all this pain for that ablation is not really worth it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had a Nova Sure endometrial ablation done two weeks ago. The surgery was easy just some cramps for 4 hours afterwards. Not too bad because the doctor gave me a pain block that lasted four hours. The problem started with my first period afterwards. The premenstrual syndrome was horrible. I was never before in so much pain before a period. It scared me. It made me wonder if I made the worst mistake ever having this done. You don't bleed but you feel all the same feelings of a period but worse and way longer. I was throbbing in pain. Nothing like it before.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?