Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: Flowermama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the NovaSure done 3 years ago and have had pure hell since. It's almost like nothing changed except the fact of not being able to have sex because the vaginal opening is scarred from the procedure! I'm cramping and bleeding still, heavier than ever! I hope I'm only an oddity and that most women who have this procedure aren't in my pain.

Comment from: Slepiere, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a uterine ablation and tubal in early December 2014. Recovery was easy with a light pink discharge for the first few days, then heavier bleeding like a light period for me. Then it went to a light pink discharge again. Four weeks later I had a lighter period again. But it hasn't stopped and I've been having a period for 21 days straight now. I'm a little scared because I know this can't be normal.

Comment from: Shasha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had the NovaSure procedure in July 2013, I had no pain after surgery and no bleeding. Two weeks after that, I had a beige discharge and for 2 more months, off and on spotting. By October 2013 nothing, great! In November 2013 I had 5 days of spotting, which is still great, no heavy period. December 2013 nothing, January 2014, first two weeks nothing and then it happens; spotting first 4 days, then heavy dark bleeding, changing pads and tampons every hour, what happened! Three full days of this, on day eight finally it is starting to slack off. On day nine it was light and day 10, done (no cramps, just a continuous flow). I guess it didn't work for me, we shall see what next month brings. My period is heavier and longer than it was before. I'm wondering if it will get better, do I wait it out or try something else.

Comment from: sd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had an endometrial ablation 5 days ago. It was thermal ablation (using heat to destroy the lining). It was to remove a polyp and I decided to have the lining destroyed to cure extremely heavy periods and anemia. They also found fibroids while they were in there and took care of those as well. I felt absolutely fine after the surgery and the day after I went to work. I have some bleeding, very minor, which I was told will clear up in a week or two. I can't wait to see how I feel next month, when I would normally get my period. So far, it's been painless and if I don't get my period next month - or even if I get half of what I normally get - it will be the best decision of my life. This doesn't affect hormones so you can still get the ups and downs around your period, you just won't bleed. Some people seemed to think that it was supposed to cure hormone issues.

Comment from: Hopeless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had an endometrial ablation done about 2 1/2 years ago at the same time that I had a tubal. From that time on, I have not stopped having extreme pain in the lower right abdominal area. I have had a slime like discharge as well. Went to the emergency room several times for the pain after the procedure. Was told I had cervicitis and given IV antibiotics and two more doses of oral antibiotics. The pain went away for a while, then came back. I do not know what to do!

Comment from: Musbdeby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had NovaSure done over 4 years ago. The procedure was painless, I was back to work in a day. Since then I have hot flashes, no sex drive and get a bacterial infection after sex every time. I am 50 years old, been with my husband for 30 years and this sex thing is causing problems. My doctors just keeps giving me antibiotics. I still love the fact that I haven't had a period in over 4 years and the weight gain sucks.

Comment from: Moonbeam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had my endometrial ablation in 2013 and it was great for the first few months. But, I now get very sick when my period would have occurred. It makes me very nauseated, to the point of where I am very miserable for three to four days. I get extremely fatigued, I still have some vaginal odor and my joints in my wrist ache during this time as well. None of this occurred before the surgery, so I can only assume it is because of it.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a hysteroscopic myomectomy and endometrial ablation just over 2 weeks ago. I had some watery discharge in the beginning but now I have been bleeding for 13 days. I feel discouraged and am wondering when I will start to feel better. I've been told I am extremely anemic so I have just started taking iron in the hopes that it will help me find some energy. It has been a long process and prior to the surgery I was on Lupron Depot for 5 months. I am hoping to be feeling great in the next week or so but it would sure be nice to know when to expect a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: AJ2141, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my endometrial ablation and D & C, 2 days ago. I was told I would cramp for 6 to 8 hours, stay on top of pain medications. I did and it was manageable. I threw up 3 times from morphine (which I would have turned down had I been coherent). Other than that, I felt fine that evening. I woke up next day, very low mild cramps, however, bad bloating. No gas was being produced, just bloating and very hard, tender belly. Did some googling and decided on day 2 of recovery to go for a walk. I felt good enough to run a little. (Doctor said I could do what I felt like doing when I was ready). After run/walk I had mild cramping and a little bleeding. Bloating isn't as bad but still there. I hope this part of it goes away. I had hardly any discharge at all since the surgery, barely need a pad. I probably need to up my water intake to reduce bloating. I am going to take a Motrin for the cramps.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?