Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had the endometrial ablation procedure 45 days ago. Within the first week, my discharge was heavy and had an awful odor. The doctor told me it was a bacterial infection. I took an oral antibiotic. The side effects were unbearable. I kept on with it and the infection remained. I then switched to a cream. It helped for about 5 day and it came back. I am now starting another dose of the cream and taking baths in baking soda. I hope this gets better. Positive note, my periods are so much better. Not sure if it was worth this though.

Comment from: Dmur, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had the NovaSure done just over a year ago. The procedure went fine and after a month I had no more bleeding. Each month I had slight cramping for a few days, around the time I should have had a period. Now, a year later I am experiencing lower abdominal cramping pretty much all the time. I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist for my yearly checkup and everything was good.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had the NovaSure procedure done a week ago. I had very little pain after and minor watery discharge. I did have bad cramping for a few hours 48 hours after. My sister had it done several years ago and never had a period again. I'm hoping the same for me. I'm 47, so far I'm very happy.

Comment from: dogharman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had this procedure done 2 plus years ago. It was an easy surgery with a very easy recovery with little to no pain or bleeding. However, I don't have much more than a spot or two when I am supposed to have my period but I am experiencing extreme pressure and pain for a day or two. I would rather have this than heavy periods but my concern now is that the pain may require me asking for a prescription pain reliever because over the counter medicines just don't touch it.

Comment from: Masshole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had ablation several years ago. I have had no issues. When I get my period, I pass tissue, not more than a drop or two of blood. There are no odd smells, no odd discharges. I consider this successful. I am glad to not be bleeding through everything and dizzy. I still have hormonal issues but hoping that menopause will get rid of that.

Comment from: SexyCreole, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had the ablation in July 26 2011. I had trouble at first, the smell of the discharge was unbearable (smelled like burning flesh), it lasted about 2 months following the surgery and I gained about 23lbs, although everyone said it was non-hormonal. Anyway I ended up losing 33lbs and I haven't had a period in over 2 years. I don't cramp or spot, so this is the best thing I ever could have imagined.

Comment from: Shida, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the endometrial ablation done 5 days ago due to heavy periods, sometimes 3 times a month and severe cramps. I experienced excruciating pain after the procedure for the first 2 days, not even the pain medications helped. I had severe back & and abdominal pain. I had to use a heating pad on my back to help me cope with the pain. I've been experiencing some light discharge and cramping since, mostly in my lower back and stomach. I have had no period so far. My follow up is next week. I will keep you posted.

Comment from: Middle aged woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the endometrial ablation a year ago. I first experienced bad period pain with a little discharge and this went on for several weeks then stopped. My periods were light and not that painful until 4 months down the line. My pains came back badly so did my period which was very heavy and lasted 5 days. Then I had very bad pains in the back and ovaries, and night sweats which were horrible.

Comment from: cctina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

This is the best procedure to have done if you have heavy menstrual bleeding. My only regret was that I didn't have this done sooner. I had the surgery in the morning and by that afternoon I was grocery shopping. I had no side effects.

Comment from: missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had the ablation done on July 12th, 2013. I don't regret it, however I am concerned, because I do still have at least 3 days of heavy bleeding. I am also tired and weak during this time. It is definitely better than before when I couldn't even walk because of the leg pain, lower back pain and bladder issues. It fixed all of that, but will be going in a couple of days to see why there is so much bleeding.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?